Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 05:24 AM

16 posts, read 44,261 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Upstate NY (in a very suburban area) and I plan on moving about April 2009. I have family that lives in Charlotte, and I'd like to live within 2-3 hours from them, but I want to live near (no more than 30 minutes away from) a beach. I have a 16 year old daughter and she's very artsy, so I'd like to live in an area where she could utilize that. I have another child on the way, so I'll need a good school for the both of them, as well as a safe neighborhood. I'm a nurse, so I'll need to live in an area with a major hospital. My parents will move with us, and I'll need a duplex or a house with an in-law apartment for them. My dad enjoys golfing (perhaps he could join a country club?) and my mom would need to live within 10 minutes of quality shopping (as well as a mall). Animals are extremely important to me; I rescue them and I have a lot of my own. I'll definitely need a good veterinary hospital (I currently live near one of the best that NY has) and a very animal-friendly community. I'd like to spend no more than $250,000 on a house, but I'm not sure what I could get for that. I'm not aware if these things are unrealistic, but I would appreciate some advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,255 times
Anywhere in and around Wilmington NC will work fine, you can get a good house for that money. Also, consider in and around Charleston SC, too, same thing on the cost of housing. You can do a forum search for all sorts of info about the southern NC coastal area, and also over in the SC forum stuff about Charleston and its surrounds, everybody has their favorites. Both cities have much smaller towns and communities nearby that will still give you access to all the amenities you are asking for, but provide a more suburban and small-town vibe.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 AM

431 posts, read 1,141,615 times
Where in upstate NY are you?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times
I plan on moving about April 2009. I have family that lives in Charlotte, and I'd like to live within 2-3 hours from them, but I want to live near (no more than 30 minutes away from) a beach.

A retro-active move?? (I plan on moving about April 2009) Just joking-I couldn't resist.
Wilmington is your only option if you want to stay close to Charlotte-Although you'd have to drive pretty fast to make it to the beach in 2-3 hours (plus 30 minutes)
Bill

Old 11-08-2009, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,726 times
With all of the things you're looking for, you are probably going to want to stay away from small towns. Wilmington probably is your best bet. I live in a small town just under 1 hour away from Kill Devil Hills and we are a golfing community, but other than that you are looking at driving for shopping, large hospital, artsy community, etc. We are a historic town, attract a lot of tourist, and housing prices have skyrocketed.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:38 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
I would take another hour or os from Charlotte and live in or near Morehead City. Not sure what $250K will get you down there, not a lot, I don't think, but the water is SOOOO much better near MHC. The only downside is the hospital is not all that great, but still IMHO it beats Wilmington handily. I have lived near both and been to both many times.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 17,340 times
Wilmington!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I would take another hour or os from Charlotte and live in or near Morehead City. Not sure what $250K will get you down there, not a lot, I don't think, but the water is SOOOO much better near MHC. The only downside is the hospital is not all that great, but still IMHO it beats Wilmington handily. I have lived near both and been to both many times.
I'm guessing the hospital in Wilmington isn't the best?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:59 PM

60 posts, read 188,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
I'm guessing the hospital in Wilmington isn't the best?

Personally, I've never heard anything but good reports on New Hanover Regional Medical Center.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,982 times
Wilmington will probably be more similar to where you are now in terms of suburban lifestyle, with the same stores, chain restaurants, blah blah. The hospital there will also be the biggest unless you move to Greenville but that is too far from the water. Mind you all the coastal communities are more than 3 hours from Charlotte. I've never been anywhere in eastern NC that is anti-pet, though you can't bring them in restaurants and things! Most of the beaches have leash laws too.

Which is more important, proximity to the beach or proximity to family in Charlotte? If you want to compromise, move to the Triangle, as you'll be closer to family though a couple of hours from the beach. It will also give you more of that suburban lifestyle with better shopping, as well as school choices, housing choices, and plenty of hospitals to work in.

Otherwise, come see for yourself. Personally I love Morehead/Beaufort, but I think it might be a bit provincial for what you are looking for....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina