U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 02:59 PM

75 posts, read 203,112 times

Advertisements

Greenville wasn't an unexpected choice on my list this year, lots of good things going on there, but to be honest with you, I'm kind nervous and scared of living there, because of crime rates.

I feel like I'm going to regret of making this choice to pick Greenville as my new home for next few years, but did I made the right decision to choose Greenville as my new home despite of my nervousness? Wants to ensure that I made the right decision.

Greenville has grown pretty nice, but I bet you that in next 20-30 years from now, it'll be way bigger than it is now.

So, telling me, guys, did I made the right decision to choose Greenville? Yes or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 03:05 PM

451 posts, read 1,690,204 times
Crime is pretty high here...i've been surprised by the last couple of years the number of incidents that have occured...however, pick the right area of town to live and you should be fine. Basically what's surprising about the crime is the rate for the size of town it is. But like you said, it's growing fast, and crime is one of the growing pains that the area is facing.

I like living around here, but that's just me. There are others on this board that would disagree, but I feel the future for the area is pretty bright.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 AM

3,288 posts, read 5,444,642 times
Ditto over Lithuania whole statement...even though I'm not a Greenville fan, (I don't think any teen is anyways, lol) I think it does have a pretty bright future ahead of it...

Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,050,087 times
The huge majority of Greenville's crime is criminals commiting crime against other criminals. The vast majority of crime keeps occuring in the same areas and it is readily apparent which areas you want to to avoid. Add to that the fact that the local TV stations are poorly produced and you get a lot of crime reported on TV. I moved here from an area that had really bad crime and Greenville is no worse than any other town of similar size. My wife and I have never felt threatened one single time. The local media just seems to sensationalize it and they make it seem worse than it really is. I guess if your only options are to talk about the farmers report or the crime you'll go with the crime.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM

46 posts, read 179,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The huge majority of Greenville's crime is criminals commiting crime against other criminals. The vast majority of crime keeps occuring in the same areas and it is readily apparent which areas you want to to avoid.
I don't know what part of Greenville you live in, but in my neighborhood the homeowners are not criminals. Yet crime occurs on a regular basis. Our home was one of several that have been broken into this year. The local police filed a report and we never heard from them again -- we even found additional evidence that the criminals left behind but we couldn't get the Greenville police to come back and pick it up! (the cop on the phone LITERALLY told me to throw it away!)

My taxes go up every year in this town but the city services (& crime rate!) get worse and worse.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:44 PM

"My taxes go up every year in this town but the city services (& crime rate!) get worse and worse."

I think this is a common complaint anywhere these days...not saying it's acceptable, but it seems true.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM

10 posts, read 13,104 times
Which is the "right" area of town. I have heard ever side of town is best. There are a lot of little neighborhoods listed on the map, which NOT to choose?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 PM

My advice would be to look towards Winterville (south) or east towards Simpson. I can't recommend a neighborhood without a price range (too many to list).

Old 11-04-2009, 02:46 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,050,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foyle View Post
I don't know what part of Greenville you live in, but in my neighborhood the homeowners are not criminals. Yet crime occurs on a regular basis. Our home was one of several that have been broken into this year. The local police filed a report and we never heard from them again -- we even found additional evidence that the criminals left behind but we couldn't get the Greenville police to come back and pick it up! (the cop on the phone LITERALLY told me to throw it away!)
When you start having murders, rapes and kidnappings then come and talk to me about it. Petty crime will always be more of a problem (or seemingly) as a city grows. There are simply more people and opportunity. Add in historically high unemployment among those living under the poverty level and it's a recipe for crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina