U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
 
693 posts, read 1,410,671 times
Reputation: 429

Advertisements

You should try down east NC. Or Pamlico, Beaufort or Washington counties.

By the way, what you are asking is hardly offensive. Usually it is looked upon as a positive when places retain their cultural heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Coast of Somewhere Beautiful
2,341 posts, read 4,636,812 times
Reputation: 5748
Quote:
melbern wrote: Usually it is looked upon as a positive when places retain their cultural heritage...
Thanks for your response, and in an intrinsic sense, I'm sure that's true. At the same time, I wonder how practical that is in places such as the Carolinas coast, where a large portion of the population has brought with them a culture from elsewhere. I know in the Myrtle Beach forum, any suggestion that maintaining its cultural heritage would have been preferable to the current state of affairs would immediately be met with attacks and criticism. Usuallly, it starts out with comments about "slow Southerners" and goes downhill from there.

We spent some time in Beaufort, NC and loved it, although real estate seemed very pricey. It's definitely on our short list, should we decide to stay near the coast. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,405 posts, read 19,485,630 times
Reputation: 11296
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Thanks for your response, and in an intrinsic sense, I'm sure that's true. At the same time, I wonder how practical that is in places such as the Carolinas coast, where a large portion of the population has brought with them a culture from elsewhere. I know in the Myrtle Beach forum, any suggestion that maintaining its cultural heritage would have been preferable to the current state of affairs would immediately be met with attacks and criticism. Usuallly, it starts out with comments about "slow Southerners" and goes downhill from there.

We spent some time in Beaufort, NC and loved it, although real estate seemed very pricey. It's definitely on our short list, should we decide to stay near the coast. Thanks again.
You still don't mention whether you are thinking of "Southern" as a good thing or a bad thing. And I don't know how or where, in any situation, any state, that destroying the longtime culture and history is seen as a GOOD thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Coast of Somewhere Beautiful
2,341 posts, read 4,636,812 times
Reputation: 5748
Quote:
You still don't mention whether you are thinking of "Southern" as a good thing or a bad thing...
Did you read my original post? I was born and lived all my life in the South. It defines who and what I am. I'm not trying to claim it's the best culture, it just happens to be my culture. "Southern" has effectively disappeared from the area where we now live. Visitors to the area may question that, but locals understand what I'm saying. The huge influx of multi-cultural transplants over the past decade have left very little true South in my area, with the possible exception of the latitude. Someone else can argue whether that's a good thing or bad thing - and everyone has their own opinion.

As I said in my original post, I'm not looking to pick a fight. We're just looking to move and was interested in some feedback whether a similar situation has changed Southport. I appreciate all the comments that have come along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Morehead City, NC
1,676 posts, read 5,368,832 times
Reputation: 1245
Beaufort, NC and loved it, although real estate seemed very pricey
Yep-In the "main" part of Beaufort it is. But two baseball throw's away prices drop.
I moved to Carteret County almost 30 years ago-from of all places-NYC. It was a different environment here back then. It was almost all local (Few dit-dots and ding batters) with the tourist "season" regulated to only a few months a year.
I had no problems because I wasn't a problem.
My wife is from Poland-Looks likes she's from "off" and definetly sounds like she is from "off".
She has no problem because she isn't a problem.
I love these do southerns hate northerners querries.
Look-In my opinion and in my experience-Southern folks have a massive heart and they'll love and respect you more than you can imagine if you just show a little of the same.
It's that simple.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
 
693 posts, read 1,410,671 times
Reputation: 429
This isn't a South vs. North thread. The OP is southern, and wants to find somewhere coastal that has retained it's southern distinctness. Not because he hates northerners but because he likes his own heritage.

I don't know why this has confused everyone so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 02:39 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,057,598 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I disagree with that--I live in none other than North Raleigh, and still encounter about 50-50 day-to-day. If you yourself have a Southern accent, you are more likely to hear it in others, because people's accents, when they grow up around both, tend to "mimic" the accent of the person they're talking to to at least some degree.
And that proves my point. 20, 30 or 40 years ago it would have been all Southern accent. I'm from Maryland, south of Baltimore and a lot of native Southerners here can't tell I didn't grow up here. I don't speak with that thick draw but there's enough of an a Southern influence in my speech to where it can be difficult to tell I'm not from here.

I live out in the country and most of these guys think that anybody that's from north of US 64 is a Yankee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,405 posts, read 19,485,630 times
Reputation: 11296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
And that proves my point. 20, 30 or 40 years ago it would have been all Southern accent.
Actually, no, one data point does not "prove" anything. Maybe it "illustrates" your point, perhaps.

But, MY point (as a native NC-ian who is far more attuned to the regional accents of my home state than an outsider, I believe) is that even in North Raleigh--long considered one of the most "Yankeefied" areas of the state (except for Cary)--EVEN here, you still hear about 50% Southern accents. If this is the MOST "Northern" area, then the rest of the state (not counting pockets in the various cities, mostly of brand new neighborhoods full of transplants) is not, in fact, "falling over to Northern accents" at the rate some predict.

I have lived in N. Raleigh for 40 years and even 20 years ago, they were predicting that there would be no more Southern accent in the area by now. MY point was that there are still plenty of Southerners everywhere, even in the most "transplant-heavy" areas.

And no, 20-30-40 years ago, North Raleigh was NOT "all Southern accent", because by then IBM transplants were flocking here due to the then-brand new RTP, anchored by IBM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,988 posts, read 12,535,580 times
Reputation: 8748
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Did you read my original post? I was born and lived all my life in the South. It defines who and what I am. I'm not trying to claim it's the best culture, it just happens to be my culture. "Southern" has effectively disappeared from the area where we now live. Visitors to the area may question that, but locals understand what I'm saying. The huge influx of multi-cultural transplants over the past decade have left very little true South in my area, with the possible exception of the latitude. Someone else can argue whether that's a good thing or bad thing - and everyone has their own opinion.

As I said in my original post, I'm not looking to pick a fight. We're just looking to move and was interested in some feedback whether a similar situation has changed Southport. I appreciate all the comments that have come along.
I live in Oregon but am orignally from Massachusetts. I've been researching NC for retirement. I can understand where your coming from, wanting to be around what has been a part of your life. The southern feel and accent is comfortable to you. There is nothing wrong with wanting that again in your life. I certainly hope that you find that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top