U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 17,401 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to moving to Eastern NC. We are looking at Greenville and Jacksonville. I need some opinions about both. I have younger kids so I want good schools and low crime. Something family oriented but also has lots of different resturaunts things like that. I have never been to Eastern part of NC, so I have no idea what its like. Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:59 AM

5 posts, read 13,930 times
I don’t know anyone more qualified to answer this than me. I lived in Greenville for about 10 years. As a result of my employment I have detailed knowledge of demographics, employment, crime, and growth in both cities. I attended ECU and stayed to work there after graduation. Greenville has a lot to offer with all the major restaurants as well as many smaller establishments. Going to the football games with the kids is a lot fun too. That being said Greenville's crime is terrible. The school system there, well anybody with the ability, scrambles to get their kids into private schools. I love the town for the football games but the kids will have a completely different experience than an adult.

Now you’re expecting rosy comments about Jacksonville. NOPE, Jacksonville is worse. I've lived in Onslow County since leaving Greenville. I commute to Jacksonville on a daily basis. I deal directly with folks who live in Jacksonville on a daily basis. The crime is worse than Greenville. In fact the only time I go to Jacksonville is when I go to work or Sams Club.

If you are going to move to Eastern Carolina and would like to know your kids will attend an excellent school, have great restaurants, and be able to enjoy life here without a doubt you should look at Hampstead NC. It’s located on the coast between Wilmington and Jacksonville. The beaches are close by, and with Wilmington 15 minutes away all the restaurants and shopping one would need, ask my wife. You can commute to Jacksonville with little or no traffic. Most importantly the public schools are award winning and usually ranked #1. Before you choose btwn Gville and Jville look at Hampstead. Let me know if you need any more info. I would be happy to help.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM

148 posts, read 555,331 times
I shot you a message....

Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 AM

7 posts, read 17,401 times
Thanks this was really helpful info. Have a blessed day!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM

36 posts, read 121,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnflorida View Post
My family and I are looking to moving to Eastern NC. We are looking at Greenville and Jacksonville. I need some opinions about both. I have younger kids so I want good schools and low crime. Something family oriented but also has lots of different resturaunts things like that. I have never been to Eastern part of NC, so I have no idea what its like. Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi Missnflorida!
I lived in Greenville for twenty years and have lived on Topsail Island for six years. As a retired NC teacher, I have been in both school systems, Greenville's and Jacksonville's. My personal preference was definitely Pitt Co, hands down over Onslow Co. Greenville is a progressive town, has more job opportunities, and like any area of the country has many safe neighborhoods.
Another reader suggested Hampstead as another possibility and I would also agree. The eastern area of Pender County has the most growth and the schools have good results. You can check all the different countie's schools
here to have an idea: NC School Report Cards. Search by the county names used in this note. Message me if I can answer any specific questions for you! Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina