U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:21 PM

85 posts, read 265,950 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking for suggestions on what to do for the week. I assume that we will do some golfing and fishing, but not sure about restaurants on the island and whether they will be open during the last week of November.

Other questions:
1) Should we bring all of our food for the week or is there a grocery store on the island.
2) What should we fish for at this time of the year? I think we have access to a small skiff.
3) Do we need memberships for the clubs on the island? We're renting a house and haven't been able to determine whether the owners belong to the club.
4) I understand that there is a discounted ferry ticket that you can buy from the island for day trips to the mainland. How much is it?
5) Are there tennis courts on the island?
6) Is it possible to drive (or walk) on the beach to Fort Fischer?

We live in Charlotte and haven't been to Bald Head since the mid-80s, so I'm sure much has changed.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 03:35 PM

160 posts, read 700,487 times
The island has a grocery store and it's expensive so you might want to bring food with you. The island has one restaurant that I know is currently open. Not sure if that will apply to Thanksgiving Day. There are tennis courts on the island but I'm pretty sure you'll need a club membership to use them. I know parts of the golf course are currently being redone so if you are able to play, it'll probably only be nine holes. Fish for red drum. Ferry tickets are $16 per person round trip.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM

144 posts, read 503,834 times
a lot of times the home rentals include access to the clubs on island, not always, but most of the rentals do show that. If you rented through a website you should be able to go back and see if that is included.

I have found that the baldhead island website is a great source of information in regards to what is open and what isnt during the holidays. You may wish to check it out. Bald Head Island, NC | Beach Vacations, Rentals, Property For Sale

Have fun! What a great way to spend thanksgiving

Old 11-10-2009, 07:27 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,642,391 times
hi

you can walk to fort fisher , depending on where you start , i am " guestimating "
5-8 mile walk. that will only bring you to fort fisher , to get anywhere for dining you have
a lot further to walk. don't forget you also have to walk back!

southport has a great thai restaurant , also home of provisions, great place.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM

214 posts, read 737,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for suggestions on what to do for the week. I assume that we will do some golfing and fishing, but not sure about restaurants on the island and whether they will be open during the last week of November.

Other questions:
1) Should we bring all of our food for the week or is there a grocery store on the island.
2) What should we fish for at this time of the year? I think we have access to a small skiff.
3) Do we need memberships for the clubs on the island? We're renting a house and haven't been able to determine whether the owners belong to the club.
4) I understand that there is a discounted ferry ticket that you can buy from the island for day trips to the mainland. How much is it?
5) Are there tennis courts on the island?
6) Is it possible to drive (or walk) on the beach to Fort Fischer?

We live in Charlotte and haven't been to Bald Head since the mid-80s, so I'm sure much has changed.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Wow, surely you rented this from a Homeowner of Prop. Manager, shame on them for not supplying you with this information.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:28 PM

70 posts, read 162,026 times
Just riding on the golf carts and sightseeing is so much fun!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 05:52 AM

291 posts, read 767,173 times
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving on Bald Head...here's an interesting link about walking to Fort Fisher from our local Wilmington Star-News, with links to other questions/answers about Bald Head at the bottom.
MyReporter.com Can I walk to Bald Head Island?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 AM

85 posts, read 265,950 times
Thanks for all of the great responses. We are using someone's home that has never rented before and it has been difficult to get this information out of them.

One more question: Are there any grocery stores in Southport that offer a full cooked Thanksgiving meal (Harris Teeter offers this at their Charlotte locations)? We're not sure if we will want to cook for ourselves that day, so we were wondering if that was an option.

Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 PM

291 posts, read 767,173 times
Harris Teeter - Holiday Dinners
There is a Harris Teeter about 16 miles away - look at Harris Teeter's website for directions and the phone number.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:11 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,058,473 times
If Ebb and Flo's is open it is good seafood. as stated, there is a grocery, a bit expensive but you can find a lot of things there. Fishing on the north shore is pretty good, also, if only 9 holes are open, fish the other nine holes, there is plenty of water on the course, watch out for really big snapping turtle and alligators, if you bring your dog, do not tie it up outside, in the morning you will find the collar still attached to the chain or rope, the dog will have been eaten by an alligator. There are big largemouth bass in most of the water on the course. The two ponds on 16 both have nice bass, they moved ole George, the monster gator, he was getting aggressive. Try not to walk your dog on the course, it will bark and get close to gators, a dog has no defense against gators, their teeth (even the teeth of my large german shepherds) can not harm a gator, the gator on the other hand can almost cut a dog in half with one bite, it is not a pretty sight. Unless you are really interested in getting rid of your dog, do not let it run freely. All suggestions for dogs, also go for small children. It is a really nice island, enjoy your stay but, be careful if walking around on the course after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina