Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,096 times

Advertisements

hi there

so, my boyfriend and i are trying to find a place in jacksonville, he's at camp lejeune now, and i'm on the other side of the country.

around my hometown, we have websites that show the classifieds from newspapers for jobs and apartments, but i can't see to find anything like that at all for jacksonville.

does such a thing exist? i don't even get any hits when i try to find the jacksonville newspaper!

i work in customer service for a national health products company right now, but their headquarters are in my hometown, so i can't transfer. i'm having a hard time even gauging the job market there, and if i get stuck flipping burgers to move near him, then i guess that will work for now.

but yeah, whenever i try to search for these things, i just get spam advertisements. he is a bit detached from the city as he likes to leave any chance he gets, so he doesn't seem to know about it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 02:58 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,004,508 times
Vegetachik
Here ya' go! The online version of the Jacksonville Daily News, J'ville is a great local newspaper.
Bill

Old 11-14-2009, 04:45 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,661,210 times
Can't help much, but there was a classic post here a year or so ago, where a poster responded to a similar question that in Jacksonville, you either worked at "a fast food place, a call center, or as a 'dancer'."

Don't think it is quite that bleak. Check Craig's list under Eastern North Carolina. I see right many jobs in Jacksonville, other than the three choices above, though today the pickin's are slim.

Good luck.

lln

Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 AM

9 posts, read 20,704 times
Default Welcome

Welcome to Jacksonville, it's um... ok? lol. I'm married to a marine and moved to Jacksonville in June and I think I could be of some help. I'll break it to you gently, it's not the most eventful fun town, and a lot of the things you think any standard town has- this town doesn't. That being said, there are some things that you learn after being there a couple months that make life a lot easier, and I really wish someone had told me so I'll happily tell you. Job Market is pretty scarce, I don't know any wives who had success with craigslist (which Jacksonville now is it's own town in craigslist tho yay). There is a staffing agency called Tesi (they have a website) that can help you find a pretty decent desk job, word of warning you're probably not going to find any job in town that pays more then $10 an hour. Although Jacksonville now has Craigslist, lejeuneyardsales.com is the most know place to find good used furniture and other things. Walmart is your source for anything and everything pretty much, if you're looking for any big chains or things like that wilmington has most and is only an hour away, and cops nab everyone for really silly speeding tickets and things here- and you have to go to court if you get any moving violation! As far as apartment complex's, we saw a lot that were sketchy, we really like Brynn Marr Village, and we have friends at Liberty Crossing which isn't too bad, and Beacham Apartments are horrible!! Here is a link from USMC that breaks down all the local apartments- prices, animal policy, ect - http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/family_h...rtmentList.pdf

Anyway I hope any of that helps, if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them, and if you need a friend when you get here let me know It's harder to make friends here then you would think (well at least non-crazy fun normal friends lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina