Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 201,024 times

Advertisements

I heard that there are plans to add a TJ Maxx to the Mall. The 60 million dollar museum should be opening next year. Has anyone heard what the new mayor's plans are or new development may be happening soon??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:25 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,388,522 times
I heard that TJ Maxx is up in the air right now and what museum are you talking about?

As far as the new mayors plans, his developer buddy should do well these next few years. Hopefully with all the new people in office, New Bern will finally start to grow like Morehead has done.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,063,233 times
Yes, it seems like New Bern has been in a funk for a while. It's like everybody is content with the way things are right now. Until the commercial RE industry improves I wouldn't count on seeing much happen anywhere.

I think the thing that all of Eastern Carolina needs is a north/south Interstate. There are loose plans to turn 17 into an Interstate eventually but that's going to take forever. We need an Interstate from the Washington DC/Baltimore/Philly area to come down through the Hampton Roads area and then continue right on down to Charlestson, SC.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 AM

451 posts, read 1,904,355 times
Little Washington's getting a bypass on US 17...there are still long stretches where 17 is only two lanes, though.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:16 AM

3,070 posts, read 8,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Yes, it seems like New Bern has been in a funk for a while. It's like everybody is content with the way things are right now. Until the commercial RE industry improves I wouldn't count on seeing much happen anywhere.

I think the thing that all of Eastern Carolina needs is a north/south Interstate. There are loose plans to turn 17 into an Interstate eventually but that's going to take forever. We need an Interstate from the Washington DC/Baltimore/Philly area to come down through the Hampton Roads area and then continue right on down to Charlestson, SC.

If 17 was turned in to an interstate it's be just that. Currently 17 already comes within a hairs breath of 95 around Fredericksburg, VA.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
If 17 was turned in to an interstate it's be just that. Currently 17 already comes within a hairs breath of 95 around Fredericksburg, VA.
Yeah, but it would have to start on I-95. If you've never seen southbound 95 just north of Fredricksburg around 5 in the afternoon you're in for a treat. Make sure you pack your dinner, you're gonna be there a while. They need an ALL NEW Interstate along with a new Potomac river crossing over towards US 301.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,661,210 times
I think New Bern is SOL.

With both Jacksonville and MHC growing, and Greenville already relatively big with Med School and ECU, I can't see a lot of capital flowing to New Bern, pretty much in the middle of all three.

New Bern needs to capitalize on what it has, History, and what it USED to have, waterfront.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 8,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Yeah, but it would have to start on I-95. If you've never seen southbound 95 just north of Fredricksburg around 5 in the afternoon you're in for a treat. Make sure you pack your dinner, you're gonna be there a while. They need an ALL NEW Interstate along with a new Potomac river crossing over towards US 301.

I commuted between fredericksburg and quantico from 06 to 09. I've had enough of that treat to give me tummy ache.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:36 PM

36 posts, read 185,816 times
I've commuted I-95 and DC Beltway for 30 years now. That all ends in January when we retire to Brices Creek in New Bern. I won't miss the traffic mess at all!

Old 11-26-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirein11 View Post
I've commuted I-95 and DC Beltway for 30 years now. That all ends in January when we retire to Brices Creek in New Bern. I won't miss the traffic mess at all!
You bumped up your retirement a year eh? We had planned to move here in 2008. We came in 2006 instead.

Don't be surprised if you don't find yourself missing the traffic once in a while. Although the traffic in Greenville pales by comparision I find myself driving up there at rush hour once in a while just to get that good 'ol stuck in traffic feeling again. It kinda reminds me of one of the many reasons we moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina