U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:10 AM

424 posts, read 1,091,543 times

Advertisements

Son and girlfriend coming from TX and we want to take them to a beach one weekend in June. They want to head out from there and take a road trip to New York, etc. - Husband and I will have a seperate car, since we have to return to go to work. Any suggestions on a reachable beach, perhaps along the Outer Bank, that keeps them North enough to keep going in the right direction? Any location ideas with lodging suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 04:48 AM

1,489 posts, read 4,977,451 times
What do you consider reachable? For you, within 2.25-3 hours you could go anywhere from Carolina Beach up to the New Bern area. Outer Banks are a little further, but if I remember correctly, even Kitty Hawk and the surrounding beaches are within 3.5-4 hours, and only an hour or so away from VA

Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 AM

577 posts, read 1,678,863 times
What are your plans for lodging? the nc beach gets really crowded and not all have Hotels just rental houses. I would recommend Wrightsville and stay in Wilmington on the river. Or Atlantic beach lots of hotels in Morehead city, The Holiday in Radison ect will be hard to get a room on atlantic beach unless you book ahead. Both these are off main hwys (70 and I40) The outerbanks is more out of the way.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM

3,021 posts, read 9,792,410 times
I think your main priority will be finding a place to stay. Places near the beach fill up very fast!

As for destinations, I agree with the previous posters. I rather like Atlantic Beach. I stayed on the beach there last June with my family & it wasn't too busy. Plus, there were non-beachy things to do (especially out of near-by Beaufort). But honestly, the NC coast is so pretty that I think you really can't go wrong wherever you end up.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,219,765 times
Hubby and I did a 2 night trip to Outer Banks during our 9 day trip to NC.
We went to Cape Haterras which was a lot of fun. Enjoyed a fun day of kayaking; stayed at Falcon Inn - one of the more affordable places - took free ferry to Ocracoke.
Back in 96' I was at Duck/Corolla - more developed and more things to do but don't think you could go wrong with anyplace along the OBX.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We hope to find a beach town that will have some activities that our son, 23 and his friend 19 can enjoy while my husband and I just roam around the beach. As far a lodging, we would like to get something close to the beach, perhaps in walking distance. We don't want to spend over say $125.00 each for a room. Would love to get our hands on a condo or something, but the now late reservation and our not staying more than 1 of 2 nights, kinda puts that out of contention I would think.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Looking into all of them today.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:31 AM

223 posts, read 942,563 times
Lolli,
Contact The Whaler Inn Beach Club in Pine Knoll Shores (www.whalerinn.com). It's older and nothing fancy but it's clean, right on the beach, with studio, 1, and 2 bedroom units. You may be able to get it this time of year in your price range. It's probably one of the last few reasonably priced places left on the Crystal Coast and it's just a matter of time before the developers buy it out, tear it down and throw up another astronomically priced luxury unit.
The Whaler is roughly smack in the middle of the island, walking distance to the aquarium and between Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle - a bit closer to A.B. The whole island is beautiful and you can be as active or relaxed as you choose. It's about a 21/2-3 hour drive from the Triangle. We've driven it multiple different routes over the years and it always works out to be about that long, plus or minus food and potty breaks.
By the way, I see in your posts you are from Austin. We've been there a few times and loved it. Also liked the Hill Country a lot and hope to go back soon for a visit.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:05 AM

3,124 posts, read 11,355,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We hope to find a beach town that will have some activities that our son, 23 and his friend 19 can enjoy while my husband and I just roam around the beach. As far a lodging, we would like to get something close to the beach, perhaps in walking distance. We don't want to spend over say $125.00 each for a room. Would love to get our hands on a condo or something, but the now late reservation and our not staying more than 1 of 2 nights, kinda puts that out of contention I would think.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Looking into all of them today.
Whaler Inn, which is nice place, has rates for June are $213.00 during the week, more on weekends...and that is about the cheapest you are going to find 'on the beach'. I am sure the hotels further out will be less,

The Ameri-suites is across the street from the beach (with public access) on Salter Path and it's around 150$ a night plus tax....that isn't too bad.

I just don't know of any place actually near the beach that is going to be 125$ a night.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:42 PM

Guess I was a little nieve about the costs of going to the beach ... Might just try to hang around the triangle and show our son around the universities. He wants to get his Master's and I would love for him to do that right here in NC! They should be seeing some of the Atlantic on their journey up north, so I don't feel so bad maybe changing our plans. Thanks again everyone for the great ideas. Maybe after we win the lottery or have more time to make the trip longer we will head out to see the beautiful ocean.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGirl View Post
Lolli,
Contact The Whaler Inn Beach Club in Pine Knoll Shores (www.whalerinn.com).
By the way, I see in your posts you are from Austin. We've been there a few times and loved it. Also liked the Hill Country a lot and hope to go back soon for a visit.
I hope we retire in the Hill Country around Austin one day. Glad you enjoyed yourself. It truly is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina