U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 PM

11 posts, read 44,104 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are going to be moving to NC. He will be stationed at the Cherry Point Base and I am a little worried. Where is the best place to live? I have looked into Havelock but i would like other options as well. We are going to be taking a trip to NC on the 9th to look at different areas. What about jobs, shopping and nightlife? I work in Bridal, and Catering and would love a job in either area. I am originally a NYC girl and right now live in Jacksonville. As far as night life, it doesn’t have to be a club, I love the water and beaches, trying all sort of new things, I love seafood as well. What about schools? I would love to pursue my Masters in the coming year as well. I have searched the web but haven't found alot of info. Any help would be GREAT!!!!!

New to NC!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 PM

19,506 posts, read 17,752,194 times
Hi Vicky, if you and your BF can get a place on base that would be good because Cherry Point has built a bunch of new places for the military on and off base. That said there is not much else in Havelock. if you love the beach then I would suggest Morehead City. Lots more nightlife and shopping that way than in New Bern or Havelock. But you will also have to deal with the tourist traffic down there during the summer. As far as schools, ECU is in Geenville which is a good drive from Havelock ( about 1hr and 10 minutes) but i believe they have off campus classes down this way. Can't really help you on jobs, sorry about that. Good luck on your searches. DM me if you have any other questions.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Thank you very much! The problem with us both living on base is that we are not married...at least not yet. Is Morehead City very far from the base? I really can't wait till we take our trip out there to see it all.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:45 PM

19,506 posts, read 17,752,194 times
Morehead is about 20 to 30 minutes from the base depending on how fast you can get thru Havelock.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,501 times
When I was stationed at Cherry Point from 1994 to 1997. I chose to live in New Bern over Havelock. Havelock to me always felt like a pass-thru town for people either heading to New Bern from Morehead City or vice-versa.

I chose to live in New Bern as I fell in love with the city from the first time I visited it. To me New Bern is a special place and the drive to Cherry Point was no more then 20/25 minutes to the Slocum Gate on Hwy 70.

I just recently took my wife on a trip to Eastern North Carolina where we visited New Bern, Havelock and Morehead City/Atlantic Beach. Everything felt the same as it did in the mid 90's. I still love New Bern and giving serious thought to moving my family back there next year.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Thank you both for your input. I am feeling better about it all now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina