U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
Reputation: 1160

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
ECU would certainly be a good bet for you, but the application/HR process for both the state and for universities is notoriously slow and aggravating. ECU is both
The State of North Carolina is looking at a 4 billion dollar deficit next year. My daughter works at ECU and they are all bracing for the worst. If anybody is hired there it would probably be a very temporary job.

The type of work that ZR1vette is looking for has tons and tons of quaified applicants now. Altough Eastern Carolina is weathering the recession pretty well as a whole there isn't much in the way of expansion going on. I friend of mine was a IT VP at Sprint/Nextel until recently. She is also on the search and she says it's pretty bleak out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2009, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Asheville
1,162 posts, read 3,694,576 times
Reputation: 1200
As another poster suggested, getting a county job would be a great idea, I used to work for the county social services people, and since benefits are good, plus the work is helping others, just take what you can. The county website is online, they should have various job openings, and even if you don't match up perfectly, with your higher level working background, you could still get on with them and they'll MAKE you fit.

Similarly, the NC Employment Security Commission in Greenville lists ALL jobs within about a 30-mile radius, and you might can find a smaller company that you will fit in with just perfectly. They also have an online website. Then be sure to look at The Reflector, which is Greenville's newspaper and it's also online, and they'll have a few local jobs listed in there; just don't limit yourself to exactly your field, rather check out any work that you think you can DO. Greenville is a medium-sized town and there should be some job somewhere doing SOMEthing.

For example, there's the flip burgers approach, where you take a minimum wage job in a restaurant, deli, or nightclub of some kind, because there is ALways demand for employees on account of thousands of students wanting to get watered and fed, and you could even try for an assistant job in the restaurant field since you could run such a place since you're educated. You can find on an online map that shows the names and where various restaurants are, so phone them up and you just might catch one that's hiring. Hotels might really be an even better idea, because they are constantly needing someone to be the "night auditor," cuz no one wants to fool with accounting overnight.

Also, since you have IT background, I'm assuming you've checked out all the administrative jobs available on the ECU campus, pay and benefits would be good, and if you're lucky you can get one at their various computer education departments or libraries, or even doing simple administration clerk or accounting work would line up fairly well with your background and be better than nothing. Nothing wrong with taking a job you're overqualified for. And in the same vein, I think someone else mentioned the hospital, it's a big complex, and you could take anything that requires you to push papers, pay and benefits would also be good. Hmmmm. Maybe some real estate company needs a finance person, too, they have their "home bases" in Greenville, but handle LOTS of real estate because of the proximity of the beach.

Last edited by gigimac; 12-03-2009 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
12 posts, read 31,064 times
Reputation: 10
Lot's of fantastic suggestions, and I appreciate them all more than you can imagine. I realize the job situation is bleak, and I'm trying to not limit myself with the, "I'm only doing this kind of work, for this kind of money" way of thinking. I'd be willing to entertain just about anything with 8-6pm hours. With doctoral courses/lab time keeping my fiancée busy, the evening/night time hours will probably be our only time spent together.

So I'll check out Pitt County and some other smaller employers. I've covered PCMH, ECU, City of Greenville, University Health Systems of East Carolina, and a couple other places.

I've noticed the people of North Carolina are a pleasure to be around and interact with, way more so than those from the Midwest. So again, I appreciate all the suggestions and ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 03:41 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 13,114,113 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1Vette View Post
Lot's of fantastic suggestions, and I appreciate them all more than you can imagine. I realize the job situation is bleak, and I'm trying to not limit myself with the, "I'm only doing this kind of work, for this kind of money" way of thinking. I'd be willing to entertain just about anything with 8-6pm hours. With doctoral courses/lab time keeping my fiancée busy, the evening/night time hours will probably be our only time spent together.

So I'll check out Pitt County and some other smaller employers. I've covered PCMH, ECU, City of Greenville, University Health Systems of East Carolina, and a couple other places.

I've noticed the people of North Carolina are a pleasure to be around and interact with, way more so than those from the Midwest. So again, I appreciate all the suggestions and ideas!
If you have a Master's, try Pitt Community College - adjunct instructors are always in demand. Also, Continuing Ed instructors are needed as well. Just a thought....
For example: http://www.pittcc.edu/experience-pcc...onEd122009.pdf It posted yesterday....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
12 posts, read 31,064 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
If you have a Master's, try Pitt Community College - adjunct instructors are always in demand. Also, Continuing Ed instructors are needed as well. Just a thought....
For example: http://www.pittcc.edu/experience-pcc...onEd122009.pdf It posted yesterday....
Thanks Mary! Unfortunately I don't have a Masters, waiting until after my fiancée has her PhD and then I'll be going back to school for a Master's or a PhD myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 13,114,113 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1Vette View Post
Thanks Mary! Unfortunately I don't have a Masters, waiting until after my fiancée has her PhD and then I'll be going back to school for a Master's or a PhD myself.
this position is for an undergrad.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
12 posts, read 31,064 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
this position is for an undergrad.....
I put my name in the hat for that one, I was more or less just addressing your inquiry into if I had a Masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 13,114,113 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1Vette View Post
I put my name in the hat for that one, I was more or less just addressing your inquiry into if I had a Masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top