Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:24 PM

12 posts, read 35,616 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are going to be moving to Greenville the first week in January so that she can pursue a doctoral degree from East Carolina University. We have the apartment leased (you always feel better when you have an actual address), the logistics for moving are completed. So I really just have one frustration and was hoping someone may have some advice.

We've got a nice balance in savings, but aren't sure when she'll get her first check off her stipend. So I have been hitting the internet for awhile now in hopes that we wouldn't have to touch our savings much. I've been to all of the major "resume" sites and even some smaller Greenville area specific sites marketing my expertise in the Business Management/Management and IT areas. As well as implementation of cost savings and organizational methods. However it seems the only places I get emails from are scam style jobs. Where you're either a middle man for shipping stolen goods out of your house (see ad: Home Based Shipping Clerk w/ flexible hours!!), or where for just one low fee of $29.95 I can get my free sales start up kit and make $10,000-$15,000 a week by working just 2-3hrs a day in the comfort of my own home.

The resume sites have turned into a spam safe haven just like CraigsList and Nigeria.

Any advice, moving day is getting closer and I feel like I'm just here spinning my wheels. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
expand your search from Greenville into New Bern, Havelock/Cherry Point, Kinston, and Goldsboro and the surrounding areas. See if you can get a jon on the Marine base in Havelock or with one of the contractors serving the base. The base is the largest and highest paying civilian employer in Eastern NC.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions mac. I'll expand my search tomorrow, and focus a lot around the Havelock area.

Edit: Google Maps has Havelock as being about a 1hr 45min drive from Greenville. Too much driving for me to do daily.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:53 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1Vette View Post
Thanks a lot for the suggestions mac. I'll expand my search tomorrow, and focus a lot around the Havelock area.

Edit: Google Maps has Havelock as being about a 1hr 45min drive from Greenville. Too much driving for me to do daily.
in reality, it's about 1hr, 1 hr15 min tops. In addition, if you settled in an area like Vanceboro, You're still close to Greenville and less than an hour from Havelock. I know people who commuted from havelock to Greenville when pursuing theri degree. Conversely, i know people who drive from Greenville, Kinston, and Goldsboro to work at Cherry Point.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,794 times
Sanderson Farms is opening a facility in Kinston and so is Spirit Aerosystems. I am sure they are in some sort of hiring process now as their facilities are under construction. Also try Pitt County Memorial Hospital and ECU websites for job openings.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
in reality, it's about 1hr, 1 hr15 min tops. In addition, if you settled in an area like Vanceboro, You're still close to Greenville and less than an hour from Havelock. I know people who commuted from havelock to Greenville when pursuing theri degree. Conversely, i know people who drive from Greenville, Kinston, and Goldsboro to work at Cherry Point.
I should have offered a little more info, it was late though so I didn't. I love driving and don't mind a commute, but we're going to Greenville with her car only and my cars aren't being shipped to the area until March. So its too uncomfortable for me to drive her little Audi TT that distance being 6'3 and 210lbs.

We've already leased a place in Greenville as well, I do appreciate the suggestions and help though!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
Sanderson Farms is opening a facility in Kinston and so is Spirit Aerosystems. I am sure they are in some sort of hiring process now as their facilities are under construction. Also try Pitt County Memorial Hospital and ECU websites for job openings.
Just did PMH and ECU this morning, I'll check the other two locations out this afternoon! Thanks!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:07 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,794 times
You also may want to check DSM pharmaceuticals (sp?), Roberts Fabricators, and the City of Greenville as well.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
In case you were unaware, NC has 11% unemployment, one of the top 10 states in the US for that statistic. Employers are getting hundreds of applications for even low-level jobs in NC right now. Places with gobs of college students (that would be Greenville) who will do crap work for low pay depress the market even further.

ECU would certainly be a good bet for you, but the application/HR process for both the state and for universities is notoriously slow and aggravating. ECU is both

While Cherry Point is way to far to drive to, look into Kinston or Rocky Mount. I would imagine that a college town would have plenty of buses for your fiancée [two E's, if it's a "she" ] and you could take the car. Also check county websites for Pitt and neighboring counties; those jobs are not likely to be posted on places like Monster, etc.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM

Francois, I certainly appreciate your detailed response. I've been comfortably employed for 5yrs. I'm sure part of my frustration is I forgot how terribly frustrating searching for employment is.

I seem to have gotten good contact with someone in HR at Roberts Fabricators, and will continue to expand the area in which I am searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina