U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 34,776 times

Advertisements

We are looking in the Ocean Isle Beach, Sunset Beach, and Calabash areas for possible retirement relocation. Main interest is golf but do not necessarily have to live in a golf course community. Came across the Sunset Ridge web site and it looks very attractive. Anyone here living in Sunset Ridge? How built out is the subdivision? How active are the HOA's in this general area? We actually prefer a development with restrictive covenants. Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 PM

572 posts, read 1,407,171 times
The homes in Sunset Ridge seem kind of pricey to me. You may want to check out Lighthouse Cove in Carolina Shores and Spring Mill or Meadowlands in Calabash. Meadowlands has a golf course inside the subdivision.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 23,380 times
As a person who lives in Sunset Ridge I would be very careful about buying here. The Builder, Bill Clark Homes, has mastered the art of the runnaround. He cuts alot of corners when building his houses and after speaking with a number of the residents here it is obvious that he doesn't stand by his product. You are pushed through the building process and a lot of the home owners are experiencing the same problems to which he cheaply fixes some while other are forced to jump through hoops to get fixed, if they will even agree to fix problems in the home. By the way, these problems are arising as early as weeks after closing. When he does fix the problem, it is patch work job. Unless you have the time to be on top of every sub-contractor and are knowledgable in home constuction, I strongly suggest that you not make the same mistake that so many of us have already made. Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 34,776 times
max5,
Thanks for the heads up........We have relocated and built new homes twice in the last ten years and I really have reservations about doing it again because of the problems you have mentioned. We'll probably rent for 6-12 months to get acclimated to the area and make our decision from there.......Thanks again

Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,004 times
I live in Sunset Ridge as well and have not had a negative experience at all. We've not had any major problems with our house, and the two minor fixes were addressed quickly and completely.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 23,512 times
Default Handicap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfman1378 View Post
We are looking in the Ocean Isle Beach, Sunset Beach, and Calabash areas for possible retirement relocation. Main interest is golf but do not necessarily have to live in a golf course community. Came across the Sunset Ridge web site and it looks very attractive. Anyone here living in Sunset Ridge? How built out is the subdivision? How active are the HOA's in this general area? We actually prefer a development with restrictive covenants. Any information would be appreciated.
Golfman
If you like this area, and that is the area from Shallotte to the NC/SC state line (which includes OIB, Sunset Beach and Calabash), there are a plethora of options that will make you happy. Sunset Ridge is an excellent value but, only if you like the community, the area and the homes. Oh, and plus the people!

So do you carry a 4 or 5 handicap?

Best of luck on your quest!!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 10,947 times
Sunset Ridge is a really great community with the included yard and lawn care in the HOA it keeps a nice overall look throughout the entire plantation. The covenants are relaxed somewhat but are kept up enough to protect the overall look and feel of the plantation. I am not sure what the current HOA fees are exactly but I am pretty sure they show them on their website, you should be able to find at homesforsalesunsetridge.com/

If you are looking for a plantation with very strict covenants, I suggest checking out Ocean Ridge Plantation which is only a couple of minutes down the road from Sunset Ridge. OR is one of the nicest plantations in all of coastal NC partly due to the very strict guidelines and architectural review committee imposes on all design work. Amazingly Ocean Ridge has one of the lowest HOA fees around and yet maintains one of the best amenity packages and well manicure grounds of any plantation. The only drawback is the initial pricing of homes to get within the gates. Unless you can handle a mid 300K figure, as a starting point (homes within Ocean Ridge can easily hit 7 figures) you will probably not be able to buy or build within this beautiful community. mod cut

I hope this helps, as someone who lives here in Ocean Isle Beach the only thing I can tell you for sure it that this area is absolutely beautiful and my family and I are so glad we choose this area to call home.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-29-2013 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natwhoco View Post
Amazingly Ocean Ridge has one of the lowest HOA fees around and yet maintains one of the best amenity packages and well manicure grounds of any plantation.
I am not a golfer, but ORP's "big cat" course sound interesting and more challenging than average. Where are there pictures of the courses?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,329,610 times
Here are some pictures of Tigers Eye at ORP-

Tiger's Eye Golf Course in Ocean Isle Beach, NC - 2013 Reviews & Rates

This is one of 4 courses on this plantation (and my favourite).

You can find pictures of the other courses on some of the MB golf web sites.
Leopards Chase, Lions Paw and Panthers Run.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,006 times
I could not agree more about not purchasing a home in Sunset Ridge. We wish we had never built here. Heath Clark is a master at the game of the runaround. You will experience a lot of issues with your home that they fix with only the required warranty specifications. If you have cracks in your walls ,they will apply a coat of sparkle and tell you its fixed. It will then recrack and they will tell you that the warranty states, only cracks large than 1/8 of an inch will be repaired. They are having problems with the HOA and the landscaping companies they hire, not doing a thorough job with many complaints.
Find a good builder that only builds a few houses a year. Bill Clark homes is only worried about their bottom line. They build stick houses as quickly as they can with many mistakes because they use immigrant workers and take the lowest bids for subcontractors.
The area is lovely, just don't use this builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina