U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 PM

11 posts, read 22,857 times

Advertisements

Noone here has really mentioned transportation options & driving here yet. The drivers, and/or mix of demographics here are HORRIBLE!!! There is a near-lethal mix of new NE transplants, young college/HS students, tourists (who don't know where they are going), retirees, and almost no one uses their turn signals. Summer & winter are the worst. Add to that- the infrastructure is underbuilt for the massive growth of the last 15 years & all the cul-de-sac developments dump on to a half-dozen major roads. Suffice it to say- our household had a perfect driving record in the urban NE corridor & pacific NW and now have been hit twice in 2 years!! Be ready for bumper cars.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,267 times
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it is the most recent thread.

My mother is a registered nurse and looking to relocate. We are currently living in IN where, even for a nurse, job outlook is not great. She currently has a North Carolina license from a travel job last year. She became interested in the Wilmington area and as I've browsed rental homes, what we can get within a certain price range is comparable to to what is available where we currently live. However, after reading the reviews on here, I don't know what to expect. We're planning an impromptu trip down there to check out the area ourselves, but are there any nurses who read these boards and can give us a hint on what to expect job wise, pay wise, etc? During her travel job, we lived about a half hour south of Charlotte and didn't like the area much, but Wilmington is near the coast so it's an area we're definitely interested in. Again - haven't visited yet so any input would be helpful.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM

551 posts, read 1,699,578 times
I don't know about nursing jobs but suggest you start a new thread and call it "nursing jobs in Wilmington area".
Good luck.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 PM

120 posts, read 201,255 times
The Wilmington area has a very good hospital, New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC). I know that they just had a big push to hire a bunch of nurses, so there must be opportunities to be had.

There are a ton of medical offices in Wilmington, so I think a nurse will find more options than others.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,053 times
I've lived in Wilmington for 25 years, my entire life, and from a local's perspective-there is some crime, there is overcrowding, but I still love it. It's extremely diversive, downtown is great during the day (don't go at night, though), and has some interesting things going on most days (like Iron Man 3). We have Screen Gems studios, beaches (decent, nothing special), UNCW, a community college, and pretty decent schools. That being said, the job market is pretty difficult, but where is it not? We have bad parts of town, but beautiful parts too. There's a great park system, lots of history dating from colonial times, and a recently built convention center. Now, the tip about the zip code search actually will not be accurate. For instance, 28405 is the zip code for a family friendly, middle class area as well as a low income area with its share of crime. And 28403 covers the college area with apartment housing, a few middle class neighborhoods, some section-8 housing thrown in and a wealthier neiborhood. Yeah, it's that type of city! Lol. Our zips cover fairly large areas. Look for stats on specific neighborhoods instead of zips.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM

50 posts, read 95,801 times
No, you shouldn't steer clear of Wilmington. Most of the problems you listed arent Wilmington's fault, it's the economy.

1) There are plenty of good paying jobs not in those fields. Many people just plain out working in retail make 20 dollars an hour-minimum. Have you realized Wilmington has a large film industry? Film jobs pay moderate, to very, very, high. Even as an assistant the minimum you would make would probably be around 800/week.

2) Yes it has a high crime rate, but crime is mainly confined to areas. It's mainly confined to areas of downtown that are not tourist areas, the shores of Greenfield Lake, and south Downtown by the port (Sunset Park and the area around Legion Stadium.) The crime is easy to avoid as long as you stay out of the "bad" areas.

3) GE is not the only company. PPD is headquartered here, EUE Screen Gems gives space to many films/studios, Corning has a headquarters here along with IKA Works, a multinational company. While I must say yes more companies should headquarter here, GE is not the only company.

4) I have to agree here. Not many people are Seahawks fans and go to games a lot. I guess it's partially because there isn't a football team, and the basketball team isn't that well known. However, some Seahawk spirit is starting to appear as UNCW grows. Once it expands more, I think we will see ILM become more like Chapel Hill or Greenville when talking about college spirit/sports teams.

5) What field are you talking about? Retail? Food? Film? Law? Medical? What? It all depends on the industry. Education is very valued in medical, not so much in food or retail. Film is different. It's not as much as the education you have, it's years of experience in the industry that counts. So this really depends on what industry/field you are talking about.

6) Are you looking at a low-income area? Frankly, a lot of Wilmington that I've always seen is quite the contrary. Many people have nice houses and drive luxury cars/SUVs and have high-paying jobs. Are you looking at poverty areas of downtown, East Wilmington (Landfall, Wrightsville Beach, etc.), South Downtown, or Highland Hills, Forest Hills, and Glen Meade? Wrightsville Beach is home to the most expensive housing market in the state, so I guess the people that live there must be pretty bad off.

7) Is this necessarily a BAD thing though? Is rain your thing? For a lot of people, it is. I mean, look at Seattle. It rains and is cloudy all the time and is a huge metropolis. Somebody on here said the thing about it is that it doesn't rain for part of the year, I think they said July to October? It's the same with Wilmington. In the winter rain is much less frequent, unlike summer where rain/an afternoon thunderstorm is guaranteed almost every day. And of course we are going to get more rain, were on the coast, at a prime spot for hurricanes. Wilmington has a more tropical climate compared to the rest of the state. The lowest temperature EVER recorded was 0, it rains about every day May-October, it snows about once every five years usually, and if it does it's extremely light, like five minutes of flurries, or a max of 1.5-2 inches. The coldest it gets in winter is usually high 50/low 30, sometimes dips to a high in the high 40s/ a low in the high 20s. The water gets close to around 90, usually the mid-high 80s in the summer, and also during summer (which ours is more of mid-April to mid-October,) the heat indexes (heat+humidity) can reach the 120s and even 130s. An average summer day heat index is 100s or 110s usually. It all depends though. If sunshine is your thing move to Phoenix or LA.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:43 PM

50 posts, read 95,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
If you walk down the street at night alone anywhere in Wilmington....upscaled or not and leave your door unlocked,you are crazy! The criminals around here drive cars and if you're walking alone,you don't stand a chance. It has already been proven several times.We live in a gated area and we wouldn't get out alone at night or leave our door unlocked.
I'm pretty sure criminals everywhere- at least in the US drive cars. I really don't understand why so many people try to make Wilmington seem like Juarez, Mexico or something, when in all reality it's a great place. We have the most expensive housing markets in the state. If people didn't want to live here and it was such an awful place do y'all really think we would...

Old 04-08-2013, 01:33 PM

43 posts, read 129,205 times
I have lived here for 5 years now and I love it as much as the first time we visited. That was 10 years ago. My son attends a top rated public school, we have a great house with very low taxes. The choice of places to eat is amazing. 200 days or more of sun. There are beaches that are pristine with in 15-30 minutes, river and lake fishing as well as ocean fishing, surfing, kayaking, boating and friendly people. What more could you ask for? Also, no traffic incidents or crime for us. We do frequent downtown at night and on weekends, go to farmers markets and love it.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM

519 posts, read 703,280 times
I will argue the "I love Wilmington" side. I am so glad the UNCW does not rule the town the way Chapel Hill is ruled by UNC. It takes alot of the personality and infrastructure out of the village and makes everything an accomodation for the students and University. Wilmington is sooo lucky to have such a vibrant arts community and the historic distric is just beautiful. I love the pride of ownership seen everywhere and the beautiful pocket gardens. The smelly tang of the Cape Fear River mixed with the low hum of traffic over the bridge. The easy walk along Chandler's wharf and the river traffic and restaurants. I feel at home there.

Compared to MD you can get produce, shrimp and fish a ton cheaper. I love beautiful gardens and historic houses and would choose to live near downtown. Landfall gated community seems pretty lame. Quick drive to Mercer's Pier......

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,261 times
[quote=heeha;11918529]I know this post may upset some people, but Wilmington, NC is a city that most people should "steer clear" of.

Here are my reasons:

1) Lack of good paying jobs. Unless you are a doctor, lawyer, accountant, or a professional in the medical field, most jobs in ILM pay a whopping salary of $10 an hour. And on top of that, employers want 5 yrs of experience...what a joke.

5)Eduation is not valued. I feel that most employers in ILM do not want to hire someone with a college degree. They would rather hire someone with a GED who is willing to work for $10 an hour for the rest of their life.

6) It seems like a vast majority of the people in ILM are not educated and have been content working in some dead end job. Now let me reiterate this point. Everyone in ILM is not poor and stupid, but for the most part people are not well off.

AGREE!!!! If you don't have a job already, I wouldn't move here! It took me 5 months to find a "dead end" job at $7.25 an hour (YES, I HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE). I will be working this until I find a "real job." I have applied everywhere, news stations, etc. (my degree is in media communications). I have even applied at places I would NEVER work. Out of 100 applications I filled out (I have 8+ years of retail experience and a bachelors degree), I only got 3 interviews. 2 didn't call me back (how hard is it to work at a freakin coffee shop?) and finally got this one, but it pays minium wage. think I can pay my bills on that? nope. currently looking for job #2. I wonder how long this will take me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina