Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by heeha
7) Wilmington gets 56 inches of rain per year. Wilmington is one of the top 10 wettest cities in the US.

And I bet most of that 56 inches comes in August and September compliments of Tropical Depressions and Tropical Storms. (And occaisonal Big One!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 AM

291 posts, read 869,718 times
Give me the RAINfall over the SNOWfall any day!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
^Good point. I found some interesting statistics on weather.com comparing Wilmington, NC to New York City. Wilmington has significantly more precipitation than NYC during the summer months but NYC has more precipitation during April, May, October, November and December and March was almost even. And since Wilmington almost never gets snow and obviously has milder temperatures, I'd say the weather in Wilmington is certainly not a negative.

Climatology Comparison for Wilmington, NC (28412) - weather.com, NC (28412)&sfld2=New York, NY, US&clocid1=USNC0760&clocid2=USNY0996

Old 12-11-2009, 01:15 PM

6 posts, read 15,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
well bless your heart! By all means - stay where you are.
lolololol!!!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 AM

768 posts, read 942,206 times
I love Wilmington. But alas, of all the "hate" threads I've seen, I think this one is pretty spot-on. These are basically the downsides of living in Wilmington.

For me, the people, the weather, the beaches, the fishing, the beautiful wildlife, the short drive to places I love and the cost of living outweigh those negatives. But if I'm honest, I couldn't disagree with anything the OP said. Hopefully Wilmington can work on those areas and improve that much more!

Of particular truth was the de-emphasis I felt on education. Not just by employers, but by many citizens. That's a problem. There is really not much of a middle class in Wilmington. Not a lot of jobs with growth potential, for, say, liberal arts majors trying to work up the ladder.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,063 times
I'm glad someone agrees with what I said about ILM...

Old 12-15-2009, 01:36 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
The great thing about America is that you can vote with your feet. Anyone that isn't happy with where they live can always pack up and move. I love this city. Downtown is great, the beach is close by, the weather is great and I make good money here. It's not for everyone I suppose but I'm happy with it.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 AM

151 posts, read 559,305 times
You want to complain about the rain? I just returned from your area and although there was a rain storm at least it wasn't 32 degrees and raining ICE like it is in Washington state--I would gladly trade your warmer rain for our freezing rain anyday of the week. Plus I am sure you get more warm, sunny days than we do for sure--nothing makes you feel gloomier than 8 months of grey skys.
I am relocating due to cold weather and from what I have read about most states with a population of at least 50K and above there is ALWAYS crime, there are not always great jobs for everyone, there are always bad and good areas, or bad and good aspects to the town--so pretty much life anywhere is what you make it.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,979 times
I hope as of Jan. 2nd. we here in N.C. have a Law Enforced to stop all people from coming into the stores,Gas stations, where I HAVE TO WORK. The smoke gives me a migraine, and makes my throat sore. Please contact me about this serious Matter. Thank you. Sincerey,Sue
Contact me at [EMAIL="sueslowrider92@aol.com"]sueslowrider92@aol.com[/EMAIL]

Old 12-19-2009, 09:00 AM

105 posts, read 353,365 times
I think you really have to be an entrepreneur or do something that caters to retired baby boomers to succeed in Wilmington, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina