Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 27,192 times

Advertisements

I 100% agree with HeeHa sorry folks but she/he couldn't have said it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:35 AM

100 posts, read 295,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donho3 View Post
I am not sure really what you expect out of Wilmington, For the same jobs in lets say New York or California you get paid $15 an hour, you pay much higher taxes and your cost of living is 3 to 4 times that of Wilmington.

By saying "Most jobs there pay $10 an hour" I find that shocking that so many people own homes there over $100K to $500K in Value and many drive new cars. Where does this money come from?

Rain is a reason to stay away from a town? It does not rain 75% of the time like Seattle, now there is a reason to stay away from a town, yet Seattle attracts a lot of people.

Sounds like you had a bad hiring experience, try another town then complain about it there too. Hardly anybody is hiring in case you didn't notice.
The big secret in Seattle is that it does not rain from June thru October. Sunny everyday with no humidity and you really don't need AC most of the time if you live near the water. When it rains in Seattle it is more of a mist than a rain 60% of the time or more.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:15 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
I think you really have to be an entrepreneur or do something that caters to retired baby boomers to succeed in Wilmington, NC.
Yup, what the town really needs is a technicolor tribute to Jerry Garcia!!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:40 PM

610 posts, read 3,014,972 times
In Wilmington there is a big disparity between the rich and the poor. You are either flithy rich and living in a neighborhood like Landfall or Figure Eight Island, or you are living in some gov't funded apartment complex. Wilmington doesn't really have a large middle class population.

For those of you on here that are so adament about Wilmington, how are you "making it" in this town? What kind of occupation do you have? I'm eager to know.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM

206 posts, read 573,550 times
I am considering buying a condo in Wilmington. My son might be going to UNCW and then I thought later on I could retire there. Can anyone recommend a nice condo area that is in driving distance of the college but away from the high crime area.
People I know who have been there love it. The responses on here surprise me.
I am coming down in June for a week and will probably stay on Carolina Beach.
Share your insights
I need imput!!

Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,398,986 times
condos at mayfaire ?

hard to know without a pricerange, also you
are really best off talking to a realtor who knows
the area.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
auntbebee said, "The responses on here surprise me."
I agree. If you look at a thread with a coastal town name on it-It's either derogatory or the thread quickly heads in that direction. I don't know why.
Contact a Buyer's Broker (Not listing agent). Have them start sending you listings to look at. When you get to Wilmington/Carolina Beach make sure you leave plenty of time to see the area (Not just listings)

Take Care,
Bill

PS: In case you are wondering, I am a real estate broker but I do not work the Wilmington market.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:41 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,398,986 times
heeha
I am more interested in your story , why are you so negative about
Wilmington?
wondering why you don't move on to a ,for you , happier place ?
obviously some 150.000 people like it enough to live here, what gives?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM

572 posts, read 1,609,915 times
I've been living in Wilmington for 21 years and I love it here. I grew up in Fayetteville and hated it so I moved. The people that complain about Wilmington yet remain living here can't really be taken seriously. I think most of those people want to stay here but are struggling to find a good paying job on a basic skill set and they vent about traffic, crime and the cost of living to justify their discontent. Wilmington's population has exploaded over the last 10 years. That doesn't happen to a city that is considered to be a bad place to live. However I say if you don't like it then by all means move away. It's one less whiney resident clogging up the roads and beaches which makes life easier on the rest of us living here.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
moderator note
do not post infprmation that can be proven as facts or it just hear say
and hear say is trolling.
If you been mug prove it if you been robbed prove it
I give you til end of this week or ill enforce the tos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina