U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 22,888 times

Advertisements

my wife and i (im early 40s) have talked about moving to Wilmington/surrounding for close to 10 years but have yet to take the plunge. we are not major wage earners but we have everything we want/need in life (besides a home on the beach of course)
we currently live in a dirty, low income nearly jobless town in southern ohio
and we want out just like the OP wants out of wilmington.
no major reason other than we are the kind of people that like to see new places, hang at the park or the beach. love good food, music and old cars. you know who wants to grow old in the cold winters of small town ohio we wanna see the sites
the reasons the OP listed are similar stories you would get from the locals in our little town. we are known as "little detroit" have 3 prisons, a VA hospital, a stinking paper factory major crime rates, major drug problem (cant eat the fish you catch) etc.
its a beautiful town but its also a dirty town, badly managed, low wage jobs everywhere (think $10/hr sucks, come here, i can get you on for 7 today, same crappy job too wink*)
neither my wife or i graduated or went to college so we dont make much money, matter of fact we work our butts off but were happy and have what we need and almost everything we want.
with that said, the kind of people we are i know we can make it there too, working a 10.00 hr job isnt that bad if you learn to mange money, you figure that to be 20 per hr between 2 people, thats close to 700 a week after paying uncle sammy, that would pay for a 2 bd rm apt for the month, that leaves 2100.00 to spend on utilities, food, clothes and car repairs (or whatever) for the remainder of the month, but then again im not pressed with a 500,000 home eating at applebees tumbleweed or sticky fingers all the time either.
i can be just as happy eating of a dollar menu, a can of soup or top ramen and spending my days happily enjoying my life seeing the fruits of nature. which we dont get to do for 4 months out of the year here due to what i think is absurdly COLD weather. (had ice just yesterday on my porch/car/roof) end of march wth?
we are stoked and excited, if things dont work out we can always come back to our crappy little town or sell our house and make it somewhere else. i have lived in many states from the west to the east, north and south and always loved NC, from the hills to the Beach (AKA the coast line haha) we will make it even if we have to do it for minimal allowance jobs.. (if we have to ill sit on the beach and make sandpaper and necklaces)

wish me luck and happiness! thanks for the reads too. i still gotta love that OP though, they sounded pretty upset that day. hope all is well for them now.
you still didnt scare me with the weather, wages, the crime, or the traffic,
like i said, come stay here a few weeks!

Also to readingabit i do appreciate your extensive amount of information you provided.
you sound serious and excited. (making me excited haha)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,459 times
Best of luck to you all Hotrod. I'm new to the area as well, transitting from Raleigh back and forth and see the area daily.

Stories like yours and about Wilmington are every where and are especially the topic when we are in an economic recovery. Heck years ago there was no internet to express concerns, it was long distance phone calls and hand written snail mail letters, LOL!

Wish you all the best!!

PizzaGuy!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:57 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,891 times
If you don't have high expectations, and it sounds like you don't, then you should do well here HOTROD682000. There is plenty to see and do in Eastern Carolina. You just have to want to get out and do it. It's not like the Northeast where everything is close together. Things are a lot more spread out here but there is plenty of it.

For example on April 11 we're going to Maxton, NC for the Hotrod Magazine Top Speed Challenge. Then later in April we're going to hit the Grifton, NC Shad Festival. It's an interesting event complete with country music and the highlight event, the shad toss.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 22,888 times
thanks you guys, i do appreciate the tips and downfalls, information in situations like this can be very valuable.
i have researched lots of data, i read, read and compare then read more.
although you (heehaw) may think that wilmington is filling up with rich northerners i can assure you that i am neither rich or northerner.
i have been through hell and want to show heehaw its them not us. you can be happy heehaw if you want but you gotta want to. no need to pm me trying to scare me, if you knew my life, you cant scare me, been in tornados tore down our home while in it, thrown through a window of a car , in a flood, mudslides, earthquakes, crime so bad its not even funny wilmington has NOTHING ON OUR TOWN!
you will not scare me away, i know your tactics, they wont work on me and i suggest every potential resident go read other stuff besides heehaw, heehaw sent me a pm with some nastiness in it. heehaw sounds disgruntled towards northerners and college kids. (per the PM they sent me) you cannot scare me heehaw. you wont and shouldnt. seems nobody takes you serious anyway around here so im going to take your suggestions with a grain of salt.

thanks. to the helpful, and to heehaw, im going to just put you on ignore so i can get FACTS and data without the hate.
im starting to think the bad part of wilmington would be having to live next door to this person.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:40 PM

207 posts, read 854,700 times
I'm considering moving to Wilmington for a few years to go to grad school, getting my master's at UNCW. I know it's not a great school and I've gotten other offers at much more prestigious universities but they have offered me a lot of funding and I thought I should at least check it out. I've heard positive and negative things about the area, but from where I'm coming from I see a lot of positives. The cost of living is very low (The other schools I'm considering are in a city and would be at least $1500/month for an apartment), the weather is warmer and nicer than what I'm used to and life is generally more relaxed. I am not a city person and I'm not sure I want to kill myself in that kind of environment for the next few years.
It's been mentioned that there are very few jobs in the area but I probably wouldn't be staying there once I'm done with school. I've heard that students from the program I would go to easily get government internships and other good opportunities. This is also what concerns me the most, I want to go to a school that will help me get a job after I'm done. I'm also concerned about crime but since I was planning on budgeting at least $1000/month for a house or apartment I think I could afford to live in the nicer areas of Wilmington and maybe avoid that? I think I definitely fall into the "rich northerner" category, I grew up in Connecticut, lol. But I think maybe I could be happy with the slower and more relaxed lifestyle. Can anyone weigh in on if I am totally wrong about this or what their opinions are of the school? Thanks!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:43 PM

4 posts, read 23,299 times
to readingabit...sorry no i wasn't talking to u...someone wrote to me asking that i print things that i can only provide proof for...this had nothing to do with your post. Downtown wilmington is lovely, and the two muggings could have happened anywhere but they didnt, they happened here. i hope u and ur wife enjoy the beautiful areas of wilmington and the surrounding beaches...

Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,115,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
I'm considering moving to Wilmington for a few years to go to grad school, getting my master's at UNCW. I know it's not a great school and I've gotten other offers at much more prestigious universities yet I've heard that students from the program I would go to easily get government internships and other good opportunities. ....Can anyone weigh in on if I am totally wrong about this or what their opinions are of the school? Thanks!
Well bless your extra-special heart, but I think you've contradicted yourself. PLEASE go elsewhere - you don't sound as if you would be a student that would be very successful at UNCW. Good luck at those much more prestigious universities and you be sweet!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 23,299 times
to socstudent...uncw is a beautiful school, absolutely gorgeous. Weigh ur options honey, as u can see by the first reply you got, not everyone offers southern hospitality. Good luck in your endeavors

Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM

207 posts, read 854,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uneeklyme1961 View Post
to socstudent...uncw is a beautiful school, absolutely gorgeous. Weigh ur options honey, as u can see by the first reply you got, not everyone offers southern hospitality. Good luck in your endeavors
Yea I wasn't going to respond to that because it was just silly, some people need help. I did actually get a chance to see it and loved the area so I will be coming, I just had to be realistic and weigh my options because things like ranking and prestige are important in the academic world. But I think they have a lot to offer and will fit just fine with what I want to do. I'll be sure to steer clear of anyone like mm_mary, every city has got them

Old 04-18-2010, 12:56 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
Yea I wasn't going to respond to that because it was just silly, some people need help. I did actually get a chance to see it and loved the area so I will be coming, I just had to be realistic and weigh my options because things like ranking and prestige are important in the academic world. But I think they have a lot to offer and will fit just fine with what I want to do. I'll be sure to steer clear of anyone like mm_mary, every city has got them
Sorry you took a hit, Socstudent. In some areas Wilmington is not all that highly regarded academically, but their Marine Biology is top notch, their B school is getting very good reviews. You will find, as you get more into the job market, that unless you are going to a big firm in big city, academic reputation is not that big a deal. I mean, there are Ivy League and Stanford, then a bunch of very good schools, and then the rest. I doubt seriously that UNC Wilmington will place you at any disadvantage, whatsoever. The campus is great and very expansive for the number of students. Good Luck.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina