U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM

502 posts, read 1,060,760 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get my wife a "beach" sign for her office for Christmas. She has loved the Outer Banks and coastal N. Carolina since she was a child.

The sign that I'd like to purchase can be personalized. I would like it to read "Down East" plus miles, but I can't figure out where exactly the area referred to by coastal natives as Down East begins in NC. Is it the VA/NC border of the Outer Banks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM

713 posts, read 3,334,247 times
Smile Down East has some different meanings

Down East to most of the people living in Carteret County would start just east of Beaufort.

This article
has an answer that fit the term here.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM

502 posts, read 1,060,760 times
Wow...this is perfect!!!!! Thanks so much!

What an interesting article too. My wife and I watched a PBS documentary about the High Tider accent just a few months ago.

Every May and September we vacation somewhere new in NC's coastal areas. This article has given me some ideas of other areas to "check out."

Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,489,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
Wow...this is perfect!!!!! Thanks so much!

What an interesting article too. My wife and I watched a PBS documentary about the High Tider accent just a few months ago.

Every May and September we vacation somewhere new in NC's coastal areas. This article has given me some ideas of other areas to "check out."

Thanks again!
I have fished from Duck to Southport and have yet to find a place I did not like. If nothing else, @ Duck I could easily gather enough clams for a good meal, gig flounder, catch blue crabs. I dearly love eating my way across the N.C. coast. Great Bass (Largemouth) on Bald Head Island but they are kinda touchy about where they will let you fish. Also good Tarpon in the channel between S. Port and Bald Head, tis a seasonal thing.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 AM

1,675 posts, read 5,137,009 times
Downeast-Any area east of the North River!
By the way-Anyone ever notice that North River is South of South River? Or is it South River is North of North River??

I remember one time in Nova Scotia seeing a sign for "Down East". But Dsobotta can probably address that. He's a recent North Carolina transplant from Canada as memory serves.
Of course there's Down East Maine too.

Interesting tidbit: In the early 1960's there was a lot of interest in the Downeast area (Cart.Co) from a few universities. Folks came to places like Harkers island, Marshallberg, Sea Level, etc with tape recorders recording the various and different dialects. It was believed that the "accent" was more true to the Middle and Elizabethan English than any modern day Britt. In esscence-Downeast was the land that time forgot and that the orginal language had been preserved.
There is no "set" Downeast dialect. It may sound all the same to a dit dot or ding batter. But each community has its own variation. Some obvious difference might be between Beaufort (Although west of the North River) Harkers island and Cedar Island. But differences and nuances can be much more subtle in Sea Level, Stacy,Atlantic and the whole Jarret Bay on downeast area.

Two interviews I did that I'll never forget. One was with the last person born in Diamond City. Miss Nellie was about 100 years old and in a Rest home on Harkers Island when I interviewed her. This was sometime around 1985. Another intreview (Pictured Below. I'm the one in the boat with my back to the camera) was with a fisherman at Ocracoke-He too was in his 90's and interviewed sometime around 1985.

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 12-08-2009 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM

713 posts, read 3,334,247 times
Smile Canadian Down East

Down east used in Canada refers in general to any of the Atlantic Provinces which are composed of the three Maritime Provinces, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island along with Newfoundland.

It is a lot bigger than our "Down East" here in Carteret County. Just going from Halifax, NS to Saint John's Nfld is two hours by jet if my memories are still correct.

Actually I am a native of North Carolina and have been wandering the beaches here since 1950. My mother's family has been in North Carolina since the Revolutionary War. My father was a relative newcomer, he did not make it to Mt. Airy, NC until 1900.

One of my favorite pictures is of my Uncle Austin and I fishing on the Point in Emerald Isle in the summer of 1969 when it required a fair amount of four wheeling in my old Bronco to get there.

I did run a cattle ranch in New Brunswick, Canada from 1973 to 1982. After that I worked for Apple Computer and lived in Halifax, Nova Scotia and eventually was moved by Apple to Roanoke, VA in 1989. We moved to the Carolina coast in 2006, but I had a lot of sand between my toes before then.

We even visited the Carolina Coast when we lived in Nova Scotia.

I do have a slide show of North Carolina's Down East.

Last edited by dsobotta; 12-08-2009 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: left out word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina