Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM

120 posts, read 756,341 times

Advertisements

I've got relatives coming from Germany in March and we'd like to spend a week at a NC beach with them. (We'll be five in total.) We've never been to a North Carolina beach and I'm really at a loss trying to decide which town to visit.

I'd like to stay on the beach if possible. I expect it's going to be on the chilly side for the most part, but I'm wondering if my 11-year-old could still play at surfing or boogie boarding in his wet suit. He's a pretty tough guy and the cold water in Maine doesn't bother him, so how bad could NC beaches be? Really, I want someone to tell me.

He's also desperate to fish. So any advice on a place we could let him fish and whether or not he's got to get a license to fish would be greatly appreciated.

I just want to relax and walk on the beach and talk - but if the weather is really bad, I would like to be able to drive someplace where we could do something indoors. We're pretty easygoing folks, so the vacation rental itself doesn't need to be the newest, snazziest condo. In fact, I think I'd rather stay someplace a bit cozier.

Also, if a trip to the beach at this time of year seems crazy, let me know why you think so. I might choose another location if it's likely to be miserable.

And one more question, do I need to book now for a vacation at that time of year? Or could I wait until a bit closer to the time?

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by Heathercp; 12-12-2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,253,180 times
We do have lovely beaches in NC, and if you don't mind cold water, it could be great. I personally would never visit an NC beach that time of year, though.

If you want warm water, I think South Florida presents a better option - Miami or Ft. Lauderdale if you want the cities, the Keys if you want something a little more rugged.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:03 PM

814 posts, read 2,000,182 times
We spend New Years in Wrightsville Beach every year...just to walk on the beach on New Years day...it is a beautiful time of year there. You will not be alone. I recommend Wrightsville Beach for that time of year, since it is right AT Wilmington, which has the riverwalk and a nice downtown, so you have things to do other than walk on and stare at the beach...which is a great thing...but variety is nice. We have good luck with Bryant Real Estate for rentals. Prices should be much lower that time of year.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 PM

291 posts, read 866,047 times
March can be nice or it can be pretty crummy, windy and cold....my neighbors always go to Florida that month to escape!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:37 PM

7,056 posts, read 12,565,197 times
I'd suggest you plan your trip as far into April as you can so you can see the great profusion of colorful azaleas in bloom then.

If you stay in Bogue Banks (Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach, etc.) you can make lots of interesting day trips to Beaufort, Swansboro, and Cape Lookout Natl. Seashore, Fort Macon, the Aquarium, the Old Burying Ground, for history, shopping and natural beauty. Just in case the beach gets old and cold for you, nice to have other options...

You have some time yet before you have to book your place.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 AM

120 posts, read 756,341 times
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps we'll just go for a couple of days in April instead of a whole week - they really want to see the coast. And then I'll take my son out for a week in May when the weather is nice and we can enjoy the beach a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina