U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM

36 posts, read 117,272 times

Advertisements

Safe, water access, no crime -- Ogden. North of Wilmington itself, about 10 minutes to the beach. When I came here I went to the chamber of commerce and the visitor's bureau and I asked those folks "if you could live anywhere in this area, where would you?" They pulled out the map and pointed to Ogden. My house is walking distance to a marina where you could rent or buy a boat slip, and there are two other marinas within a few miles' driving distance.

Luminous, what's your price bracket? You can find some really inexpensive stuff listed on the MLS, true, but probably not where you'd actually want to go. There are some sections in this area that you would absolutely want to avoid, and some that are very nice.

The arts district is downtown, about a 15-20 minute drive from Ogden; there are little arts shops here and there too, there's one on Racine by the Home Depot store which would be quite convenient.

Don't know much about community centers, necessarily, but if you're religious there are massive churches on most every block and they certainly serve as community centers for their members. I'm more of a hermit so I don't have good answers for you on that, but the university probably has plenty to offer, and I'm sure you could connect with some arts groups. I can say this, when I moved in, two separate sets of neighbors baked goods and brought them over. If you are outgoing and want to meet good folks, you should have no trouble with that here. Everyone waves as you drive by, there's always folks out walking their dogs or jogging...

Check out the Cotton Exchange; www.shopcottonexchange.com. Lots of little shops there, we bought some glass sculptures there at the Crescent Moon on our first trip, you might find some like-minded folks or want to open up a shop there, etc. Downtown can be sketchy with the crime; I wouldn't want to live down there but you might find some aspects appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 PM

52 posts, read 74,102 times
Hi, I live in Leland and my husband works at Carolina Beach. It takes him about 25 minutes to get there and back and that's during morning and afternoon traffic. I highly reccomend Leland because it has grown up soo much, there is not nearly the hustle and bustle there is in Wilmington and you are still only a few miles from everything you want to be at. Anyways, that's my two cents!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 PM

291 posts, read 766,356 times
Default Take a peek at Hampstead while you are looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminous View Post
Hi: I hope someone will also answer me about Wilmington. Posted to the blog area but don't think that's right. Not sure how to start a post. My husband and I live in northern VA but will be visiting Wilmington this week to look for a retirement place. He loves to boat/fish in salt water so doesn't want to be far from water access; he also loves football and NC basketball on TV. I'm a glass artist so need a workshop and access to other artists. He's a retired Army MSgt, and we're both retired from the federal government. We both hate shopping except at Costco. Looking for a one-level house where we can put in a fence so our rat terrier can run around. Would love a community center where we could meet other good-natured people, but neither of us golfs. Our realtor has sent photos of very expensive houses while I send her MLS listings of more reasonable places. Anyone have recommendations for over 55, active boaters/artists?
You might want to take a look at the Hampstead area - we are getting some water access soon around the Sloop Point area - right now there is access at Surf City. Water and beaches are beautiful up here. You didn't mention your price point. If you send me a private message with that info - I could suggest some neighborhoods for you to drive by and look at up here (I am not a realtor, so I am not fishing for business) Lots of retirees up here - easy access to Wilmington for whatever you need and a good Costco run, and you can meet all your daiy to day needs here - We have a community center but it isn't what you normally think of as a community center - Surf City has a nice one - classes and events - you can pay a little extra and go from Hampstead (or other places) For your creative side, I'll try to post some links here:
ArtExposure! - Home
Home Page
Home Page
About
The first two of these links related to Pender County and Hampstead area - WAA is a large organization and has its own gallery in downtown Wilmington and the Franklin Square Gallery is in Southport.
Sad to say, you can't find any stats about Hampstead on the City-Data pages - we are unincorporated and they only have stats about all of Pender County. Pender County is huge and the west side of the county is somewhat different than the eastern coastal side of the county and the stats don't show that picture.
Good luck on your search in the area and it is supposed to be a gorgeous weekend so that will make it more fun!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 AM

16 posts, read 46,432 times
Default Thank You for the Infomation

My husband and I visited Wilmington last month and think it meets all our needs - not too big, but big enough to have a good hospital, university, airport (although our realtor said she goes to Raleigh because it's cheaper), art scene, and for my boater/fisherman - almost everywhere is driving distance to clean salt water. Right now he keeps his old boat 90 miles away and it's a 2 hour drive to get there, and the water is kind of "iffy." In other words, we stopped eating the fish a couple of years ago. We talked to people in fast food restaurants and just walking around and they all seemed to like it there. Will keep checking these boards for updates. Thank you all again.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:23 AM

183 posts, read 449,017 times
Not sure if my post came through....looking for similar things...but I am a single mom of a teen ...looking for a townhome under $150K
Are Leland and Ogden good for that.
Need to be close to the beach.
thanks
Charlene

Old 03-15-2010, 03:30 PM

291 posts, read 766,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeebe View Post
Not sure if my post came through....looking for similar things...but I am a single mom of a teen ...looking for a townhome under $150K
Are Leland and Ogden good for that.
Need to be close to the beach.
thanks
Charlene
Don't know about those two spots, but noticed on a popular real estate search site that there are a couple of townhouses in Olde Point on the golf course, 3 br/2ba for under $150k....then your teen could go to Topsail schools which have a good rep.....and you are not that far from Topsail Island either! Good luck with your search!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Thank you to everyone who responded. We're in Wilmington now and looked at loads of houses, old, older, new and newer! We found a really nice ranch house in the Long Leaf Hills area, and have put in an offer. The house is about 3 miles from either of the hospitals (important when you're in your 60s), really close to a police substation and a fire department, and water is about 4.5 miles away in all directions. We didn't plan on buying a house 10 years older than what we live in now, but the construction is so good, and I can have a really great art studio in the basement. If the deal falls through, we'll come back and look again. We went all over the place looking and saw some beautiful places, but they were so beautiful I wouldn't have wanted to mess them up with stained and kiln fired glasswork. The people we've met here have been friendly, helpful, and very good-natured. We can heartily recommend a motel I've never dared stay at before but it's been great. We have a little dog and are staying at the Motel 6. It's not the Hilton, but so clean we'd stay here again. So far, so good, just crossing my fingers we can get this house and then sell ours in VA to help pay for this one!

Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Long Leaf Hills is a nice little area, i think that's a great choice. although i'd avoid anything along that main road. owners along that road are notorious for complaining about traffic and parking along that road during events at hugh mcrae park.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Feeling Good About This Move

We are definitely moving to Wilmington. Our stuff is on its way there and my husband will meet it and put everything in public storage until we can get there ourselves. We have to sell our house in VA so have been working hard on that. For some reason, Wilmington just spoke to both my husband and I even though we have no family there. My husband has family in Thomasville. The people in Wilmington seem very friendly so we're optimistic about making friends. Anybody have suggestions on a good and reasonable place to get tile flooring for the basement and wood for another part of the house? We took one poster's advice and had the mold spore check done. The house was fine.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 AM

551 posts, read 1,699,063 times
Actually you can get some good airfares from ILM and it is so convenient and easy to park. You save that drive to Raleigh. Actually, depending on where you are going, you have to change planes a lot flying from Raleigh too. From ILM you can go to Charlotte or Atlanta and then nonstop to most places. Congrats on your new house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina