U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd pass along this small tid bit. Bluefin tuna have showed up in what appears to be in very good numbers and in good size.
Bluefin tuna off the Crystal Coast/Cape Lookout area tend to average around 3-500lbs.
It is a great catch and release fishery. A big bonus for the fishermen is that these fish show up close to the beach. Right now bluefin tunas are being caught around the Beaufort Inlet sea buoy.

As the Charlotte Observer states about bluefin and the Crystal Coast, "Overall, the Morehead City area rates the best on the Carolinas coast."
The season has just begun! For more detailed info visit the site listed in my profile.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 PM

16 posts, read 65,304 times
do you need a license to just go fishing or can you just get a temporary one?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:15 AM

Starting January 1, 2007 a saltwater fishing license became required to fish all coastal North Carolina waters. Seems simple-But these things never are. There are exceptions and exclusions:
NC Coastal Recreational Fishing License

Bluefin tuna are federally regulated (actually internationally regualted but that's another story) so certain permits must be had to not necessarily catch (posses) but to even fish for them.

If you just want to go saltwater fishing (Any type of fishing) then you can purchase an annual or a temporary license online. If you want to charter a boat and go fishing then ask the captain if he has a "blanket license". This means that the captain has a fishing license for the boat that covers all of his charters.
If you want to go bluefin tuna fishing then ask the charter boat of they have all of the necessary permits.

Bluefin tuna fishing off the coast of NC is for the most part a catch and release fishery. But each year a small window opens up where a bluefin (of certain size) can be kept. Bluefin tuna average 3-500 pounds here. Dockside price for a bluefin in the past has gone as high as $60 plus-Per Pound
Last year I know of some fellows that got $15 per pound at the dock. Even at that price a 300 pound dressed out fish would net $4,500.
I bring all of this up for this reason. If you charter a boat-Please ask the captain that IF it is legal to posses a bluefin WHO will get the fish.
Assume nothing-Especially when it comes to fishing!!
Bill

Old 12-20-2009, 01:31 AM

120 posts, read 470,275 times
That sounds like good news with the return of the Bluefin.Read an article that the last few years the bluefin have not been around.
Also read where the the captains had good luck with the blackfin Tuna during the winter of last year.Seems like one of them found em by accident using a verticle jigging technique and the others were quick to follow.Maybe opened up a new fishery.
They can have em though.I'm sticking to inshore.The stomach seems to cooperate.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 PM

Size and numbers of the bluefins off the NC coast goes in cycles. It's a matter of them maturing and moving on.
Bill

Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM

572 posts, read 1,407,171 times
I little birdie told me a bluefin was hooked off Wrightsville Beach this past weekend.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:44 AM

I'll let everyone in on a little bluefin tuna secret. It isn't so much that bluefins have started to show up at various and different locations off the NC coast. It's that fishermen have started to show up at various and different locations.
I was the coordinater of the Tag-A-Giant Bluefin Tuna Conservation series for a number of years. One of the problems we faced was not being able to find bluefin,That wasn't the problem. But finding fishermen to catch the bluefin to be tagged was.
Bill

Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 PM

79 posts, read 83,580 times
WHAT ??....You've got Bluefin Tuna swimin around down there, and nobody want's to go out and catch them ? .....What am I missing here ? ...... I would think that anybody who likes to fish would JUMP at the chance to tie into a Bluefin Tuna !!......???????.....Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina