U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 PM

75 posts, read 202,905 times

Advertisements

Since we're moving out to Greenville in 2010, I'm so eager to ask you the question about local news in Greenville. Of course, I already know that there's WNCT, WITN, News Channel 12, WFXI as well.

Some said that they're produced a bad newscast. Well, to one each's own opinion, I'm not here to criticize anything.

Certain newscast that we mostly can't stand. Right now we're more flexible watching News Channel 12. You know what's so funny? I wrote a e-mail to news channel 12 about switching to HD and never got the answer back when will they going to HD.

It's very annoying that they don't do newscast in HD. Perhaps they felt that they don't need to do that. Well, SUPER HD is coming in 2020, time can't be wasting here.

Never mind about that. Let's get on with my questions.

Upon my curiosity, if we're living in Greenville, is it possible that we could watch WRAL, WTVD, NBC 17, FOX 50 as well? It's just that they do produced a such good, strong newscast. Their newscast should be part of Greenville, you know?

Just want to know if I can ask Directv to do that?

WITN's now too unbearable to watch, so does WNCT as well.

I'm asking you in a polite manner. I hope you understand what I'm talking about here. But I'm very surprised that WNCT only have three anchors, one sport anchor now, it used to be two sport anchors. Don't know what happened to that sweet girl who used to be working with WNCT.

Oh, also, what they lack..traffic reports. I need to check that traffic in the area of Wilson, Greenville, New Bern and Jacksonville. Need to know how many minutes that will take me there. Most people are coming here in eastern north carolina because of holiday season. Do you agree with me, yes?

Well that's my questions I needed to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBradin85 View Post
Certain newscast that we mostly can't stand. Right now we're more flexible watching News Channel 12. You know what's so funny? I wrote a e-mail to news channel 12 about switching to HD and never got the answer back when will they going to HD.

It's very annoying that they don't do newscast in HD. Perhaps they felt that they don't need to do that. Well, SUPER HD is coming in 2020, time can't be wasting here.

Upon my curiosity, if we're living in Greenville, is it possible that we could watch WRAL, WTVD, NBC 17, FOX 50 as well? It's just that they do produced a such good, strong newscast. Their newscast should be part of Greenville, you know?

Just want to know if I can ask Directv to do that?

Oh, also, what they lack..traffic reports. I need to check that traffic in the area of Wilson, Greenville, New Bern and Jacksonville. Need to know how many minutes that will take me there. Most people are coming here in eastern north carolina because of holiday season. Do you agree with me, yes?
I wouldn't count on seeing any of the local stations go to local HD content anytime soon. Money is tight and almost all of these stations just spent a ton of money on the switch to digital.

As you noticed WNCT is having serious budget problems.

Directv by FCC rules is not allowed to let you subscribe to out of market stations. The good news is the Raleigh stations are easy to pick up with a decent rooftop antenna. I get 5, 11, 17, 22, 28 and 50 with about a 99% reliability.

Until there is more traffic in Greenville I wouldn't count on seeing any traffic cams. WITN has one on Arlington Blvd in front of their Greenville studios but it's nowhere near the busiest intersections in the city. In most states the state provides the traffic cams that you see. NC just doesn't see a need for traffic cams in Greenville at this time. The beltway or beltline or whatever you want to call their main routes around cities here have hardly any traffic on them. Most of the traffic drives through town instead of around it.

Let me just say that the weather men on Ch. 12 are about the most "colorful" guys I've ever seen doing news. But we're not allowed to discuss their personal preferences.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,820,411 times
Down in Craven County, where 12 is based, the preferences are well known and discussed. With resent lawsuits, I say it's a matter of public record.
LAWYER: WCTI Will Remain Part Of Skip Waters Lawsuit (http://www.witn.com/watercooler/headlines/69660612.html - broken link)

Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 PM

19,507 posts, read 17,758,490 times
WCTI is currently broadcasting in HD. I watch it on HD all the time.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
WCTI is currently broadcasting in HD. I watch it on HD all the time.
The OP was asking about local content in HD. That would be stuff like the local news and commercials. You have to watch Raleigh stations for HD local content.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
LAWYER: WCTI Will Remain Part Of Skip Waters Lawsuit (http://www.witn.com/watercooler/headlines/69660612.html - broken link)
Dominic Brown appears to be a little light in his step too if you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina