U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:52 AM

109 posts, read 206,017 times

Advertisements

I haven't visited this part of the NC forum before so I will take a look in a minute for related threads, but I wanted to get some help, if possible.

My husband and I are originally from New England, and we moved to Charlotte when he got an IT job in June. He's a database developer for a legal services firm currently, and before that, he worked as a database administrator for a hospital in NE. I'm an elementary teacher.

While we like Charlotte a lot, we realized that we'd like to be closer to the coast. When we lived in New England, we always lived within 30 min. - 1.5 hours from the water, and we loved it. Here in Charlotte, we're pretty land-locked (and living near man-made lakes made by energy companies don't count in our book).

We've never ventured outside of the Charlotte area, so I'm wondering if we'd find what we're looking for if we were to move to the NC coast. We wouldn't move unless we both had new positions. Here's what we'd ideally like. Do you think that moving would be a good thing to consider? We're planning on visiting the Wilmington area so we can see it for ourselves.

* While we're not an overly active/athletic couple, we like to stay busy by exploring our surroundings. We like shopping, going to restaurants and movies, sight seeing by going on day trips, etc.

I appreciate any insight and suggestions/advice you may have for us. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,882,381 times
The coast is wonderful. But jobs first, then a move would be my suggestion. Can you check out jobs in both your fields on the coast prior to thinking more seriously about your move?

From what other posters have said about the job scene in Wilmingoton, it sounds as though it's not as robust as Charlotte--and it's a much smaller city.

Look before you leap.

Good luck! Come to the coast on a vacation or long weekend to explore and see how you like it...

Old 12-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Here are some other details that might be helpful:

We don't have any children yet, but schools (especially elementary) are a consideration because I'll be looking for a teaching job.

We're in our mid-late thirties. I like the idea of living in or near a quaint college town but we're not into the party scene.

If anyone is familiar with northern New England, we'd love to live in an area similar to the southern NH or southern Maine coast.

We don't need to live right on the water or anything (we'd rent at first) but it would be nice to live about 20-45 minutes away.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Thanks Little Dolphin! We'd definitely come for a visit and secure jobs before moving. When we moved to Charlotte from New England, I didn't have a job yet but my husband did. I didn't have any problem finding a teaching position right away, but I have no idea what schools are like on the coast.

If we come over for a visit, where should we base ourselves for a couple of days? We'd like to get a good sense of the coastal area and what it has to offer, but we have no idea where to start. I think part of the problem is that we're so used to the coast in NH, which is fairly small, and the coast of NC is much larger!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 PM

214 posts, read 737,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBartlett View Post
Thanks Little Dolphin! We'd definitely come for a visit and secure jobs before moving. When we moved to Charlotte from New England, I didn't have a job yet but my husband did. I didn't have any problem finding a teaching position right away, but I have no idea what schools are like on the coast.

If we come over for a visit, where should we base ourselves for a couple of days? We'd like to get a good sense of the coastal area and what it has to offer, but we have no idea where to start. I think part of the problem is that we're so used to the coast in NH, which is fairly small, and the coast of NC is much larger!
Hey there and welcome to the Forum. If you are needing jobs, Wilmington will be your best best. There are two great beaches nearby, Wrightsville and Carolina and Kure Beach, both easily accessible.
Leland, is just across the bridge from Wilmington, I commute daily, sometimes though the traffic can get congested.
If you are looking for a small quaint town, reminiscent of New England, Southport is also an option. It will all depend how close you want and need to be to work though. The drive from Southport to the bridge going into Wilm. is only 30 minutes.
My suggestion would be to visit Wilmington, find accommodations there as a base, and then start exploring, the town. Then cross the bridge into Brunswick County and head South on Rt. 17. The other coastal towns further down the coast are nice too, but may not be suitable for year round living.
Good luck, and let is know how you are doing. Eveything about the area is accessible via the internet, if you have specific questions ask away.
Many of us on this post have also relocated from up North, and I think the weather and coastal lifestyle are the biggest draws for us to this area.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:42 PM

148 posts, read 555,902 times
I would suggest your husband goto opm.gov and click on usajobs.gov because the federal government is always looking for IT people..He may have a chance at getting on at Camp Lejeune, Cherry Point, FRC-East, or New River, or any federal agency in this area....

Your background would enable you to start in any school district...

So if he could obtain the right employment, it sounds like your plans could come true...

Their are plenty of homes wherever youwnt to move, and it just takes visiting an area and scouting out what you guys like to do....I wouldnt look at homes when you first visit somewhere, look at the local area, schools, shopping, medical, arts, entertainment etc..

Like I said, there are plenty of homes, find the right area first....

If you need any help in this area around Swanboro, feel free to contact me....

Old 12-22-2009, 07:17 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,260,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBartlett View Post
If anyone is familiar with northern New England, we'd love to live in an area similar to the southern NH or southern Maine coast.
I really have to bite my tongue when I hear this.

I will just say - There's something about New England folks, and verbally expressing their need to recreate their homeland in other areas.

Anyways - I'd look where the jobs are. Jacksonville has very low unemployment, but it is a military area. Wilmington is going to be the biggest and most economically diverse "city" on the NC coast, and even then, finding a good IT job, much less getting hired for it, is a rare occurance. I don't really know quite so much about the areas north of that.

There are good public schools all over New Hanover county, though. They might be hiring, I don't know. I know one teacher who was let go last year for budget reasons. Generally speaking, rural areas are known to have poor schools and low teacher pay.

Last edited by le roi; 12-22-2009 at 08:02 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,882,381 times
Yes, our North Carolina coast is vastly different from the New England coast...I love Cape Cod and Maine's dramatic rocky shores are truly beautiful and wild. And colorful, too, dotted as they are with all the colored buoys marking the lobster pots like a rainbow sprinkling of confetti....

Here, in North Carolina, our coast is more gentle, few rocks, some sizable dunes in the Outer Banks, and warm water during the summer season, sometimes like bath water. Wide, wide beaches. Wild horses. Dolphins.

Beach sand here tends to be whiter, softer, less gritty and more powdery. I've been on some beaches in Maine where the 'sand' was more like pebbles.

You'll not find the bluffs and rocky headlands of New England here. But shifting sandbars make it dangerous for ships, at times. It's not called the Graveyard of the Atlantic without good reason.

Run aground on a sandbar during a storm and the pounding waves can make short work of a ship, sad to say. Many offshore wrecks make for interesting diving and many stories...ask in Carteret County about the wreck of the Crissy Lee. Sad, sad tale part of our history. A happier tale is the night the 'booze yacht' ran around down Harker Island way during prohibition.

Just like Maine, there's a 'Downeast' area here. It's in Carteret County and some of the natives still speak a distinct Downeast brogue that historians say is reminiscent of Elizabethan English of yore. The area's been isolated a long time and was formerly accessible only by boat before a bridge was put in.

And just like Downeast Maine, the main occupations have been, and still are, in many cases, related to the sea--boat-building, shrimping and fishing, and guideing for hunting.

There are still fine boat-builders and decoy carvers Downeast. A well-known decoy festival happens every year. Just happened, in fact. People come from all over to buy these beautiful hand-crafted waterfowl. They're prized and highly collectible.

So that's my two cents. Geographically quite different, the New England coast and our North Carolina Coast--but with some definite commonalities, too.

No lobster rolls, I'm afraid. But our local shrimp more than make up for it.

Will you like it as much as New England? Hard to say. I sure do.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks so much for replying everyone!

LittleDolphin -- We watched a show not too long ago about the Downeast brogue of NC. We thought it was very interesting!

Rubber_factory -- I didn't mean to offend or say something wrong. We love experiencing new things and new areas. All I meant is that we would like to live closer to the beach than we do now but we don't want to be too far away from activities near a city.

Thank you Steven! We would definitely rent before buying.

Thanks Seashellebelle! We'll use Wilmington as our base and plan on spending a few days in the area to get a feel for it.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 AM

3 posts, read 15,405 times
My twin sister and I are making a road trip to NC in Jan. from Palm Harbor, Fl.Wanting to know of Nursing homes that are close to the coastal area. Our desire is to move to Wilmington area. We want to come up for a few days and hopefully gain employment! Our house is packed and we are ready for the move. Any input would be greatly appreciated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina