Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 28,573 times

Advertisements

I'm also moving to Wilmington NC for a job relocation and I'm a single woman in my 20s. I'm moving from Baltimore, MD. I'm trying to buy a house or townhouse, not a condo, but my price range is between 120k-160k. I've looked at sellars cove condo, the gardens and other condos in that area but I'd rather buy a house or townhouse. Do you have any suggestions on where I can go? I've also looked at Leland but I heard that the crime rate is not only high but traffic under the bridge is always a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 PM

214 posts, read 819,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofquestion View Post
I'm also moving to Wilmington NC for a job relocation and I'm a single woman in my 20s. I'm moving from Baltimore, MD. I'm trying to buy a house or townhouse, not a condo, but my price range is between 120k-160k. I've looked at sellars cove condo, the gardens and other condos in that area but I'd rather buy a house or townhouse. Do you have any suggestions on where I can go? I've also looked at Leland but I heard that the crime rate is not only high but traffic under the bridge is always a problem.
Are you doing this on your own?, or have you requested the assistance of a Buyers Agent? Will save you time, money and frustration.
DM me or any others on this forum, if we can help.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM

160 posts, read 786,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofquestion View Post
I'd recommend avoiding The Gardens. There seems to be some issues with the rest of the construction in that complex. You might want to look into Bellingham Park, they are upper end condos. (Corian, 9 ft ceilings, stainless appliances, tile & hardwoods, ect) Sellars Cove is priced well for our market. Saylors Watch has nice townhomes but they seem a bit pricey for what you get.

Finding a house in your price range will be tough in Wilmington unless you go super small (800-1000 sq ft) or over 25-30 years old. Personally, I'd stick with a newer condo or townhome rather than an older house.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 AM

311 posts, read 911,795 times
why don't your rent somewhere first, do a short term lease? I think you will definitely want to learn the areas of Wilmington FIRST to see where you like and don't like. why in a rush to buy? What part of wilmington is your job going to be in?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 AM

57 posts, read 264,684 times
I completely agree with HomeSweetHomeNY. This area is too large and too diverse to figure it all out from a distance. Come and rent a place close to where you work for 6 mos. or year and get the lay of the land. I know moving is a pain in the rear (and expensive), but it's probably better than getting yourself stuck with a mortgage and house and regretting that choice later. Not as easy to undo.

Good luck!

curly

Old 09-26-2009, 08:33 PM

8 posts, read 32,285 times
I would go with an agent and rent for a while. Check out the garage appartments in the old Wilmington or Forest Hills area.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 AM

332 posts, read 1,426,500 times
I can't remember the name, but within the last 12 months, some super nice townhomes came up. (I almost lived there). 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, granite, wood, vaulted ceilings, jetted tubs, w/garage. The pricepoint was 199k then... but that was before the economy crud went to pot, so possibly cheaper now

They were down Carolina Beach way/Monkey Junction area and they were NOT any of the ones you mentioned... though I can't remember the name. maybe if you mention that to an agent, they can help you out with more info.

Good luckw ith your move. Agree with the others, rent first and then decide where to live. I was there for nearly 6 years and I lived in all parts of the town and it was the last one that won my heart.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 7,340 times
Try Hampstead, it's a lovely little down but somewhat expensive. I think you should rent first near your job and figure it out for yourself.
Decent housing is Wilmington is $$$$$. Don't go to Leland and certainly avoid downtown Wilmington until you have a million bucks. Good luck.
P/S I live in Hampstead and love it. Only 15 mins to Wilm.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM

160 posts, read 786,460 times
I imagine the average single 20 something would probably be bored in Hampstead and the housing there is no cheaper than Wilmington.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 PM

311 posts, read 911,795 times
I live in downtown in a good area and definitely don't have a million bucks - it's affordable if you find the right place to rent, but good rentals that are affordable are rare. Anyway, definitely rent.. and research your faaaaaace off before you rent wherever you rent. Apartment complexes here can be shady/old/not in good areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina