U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM

10,403 posts, read 19,446,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeindixie View Post
On the plus side real estate is cheap here and jobs are scarce and low paying even for a small town.
Interesting spin on "the plus side"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM

451 posts, read 1,689,634 times
YankeeinDixie - it's pretty cold right now on the entire eastern seaboard. Generally the weather in the winter is mild compared to NY and the summers are much hotter. I too have lived in several different areas and some of them were more affluent than Greenville. However, when I moved here, I knew what to expect because I had a friend who lived here. Point is, you've got to visit the location and spend time there before moving to help eliminate the "surprises".

And by the way, I find traffic here frustrating, but not nearly as frustrating as some of the other areas I have lived in. And as for the major thoroughfares being conjested...it's a factor of growth happening too fast for the money and planning to keep up.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,047,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeindixie View Post
On the plus side real estate is cheap here and jobs are scarce and low paying even for a small town.
Today it very cold in Greenville and has been for a week and the summers are stifling. The town is poorly planned and the few major thoroughfares are always jammed up. Riding a bike to work is taking your life into your own hands.
Perhaps you should go back to Connecticut where life is perfect.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 PM

22 posts, read 58,752 times
Default Interesting

This is my point of view and I do appreciate everyone's comments. I do not want to make Greenville my home by any means. I want to relocate and teach in North Carolina. East Carolina offers a masters/ license program that is completed in one year. If I could find other universities that offer this fast tracked program I would gladly look into those as well. I am trying to get my masters/ license as quickly as possible. If I attended ECU I would be looking for teaching jobs towards the Raleigh area/or Asheville. If anyone knows of other colleges that do a fast tracked program please let me know.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 PM

You may want to check NC State University - I believe they have a program but from what I hear ECU's is the most diverse.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM

9 posts, read 21,132 times
t College of Education | UNC Charlotte (http://education.uncc.edu/coe/grad_degree.htm - broken link) .
check out UNC Charlotte for their program

In response to others, I do not find CT " perfect" but Greenville is sorely lacking compared to other cities it's size. It is fine if you are a drunken 20 year old college student from a small town I guess and don't have a high enough GPA for UNC CH
For the writers situation he will likely be busy in school and it is cheap to live here. He can leave when he completes his education .

Old 01-08-2010, 01:45 PM

22 posts, read 58,752 times
Default in response

Yankee you are pretty accurate. I have heard that the program is pretty decent, I have the grades for UNC Ch but my fiance is interested in the nutrition program at ECU unfortunately. I figured I could tough it out for a year get the program out of the way and move the hell out of there.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM

20 posts, read 47,674 times
Greenville is a college town and being you are looking to go to college ECU would be perfect. All kinds of clubs and greek life, good bars and clubs downtown, parties if thats your thing, and of course ECU sports. We will be in the big east most likely in a few years and Itd be wise to want to be a part of a team playing for a national championship down the road. Not to mention baseball and basketball games are fun too.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
It is fine if you are a drunken 20 year old college student from a small town I guess and don't have a high enough GPA for UNC CH
Nice generalization. To the original poster...it isn't as bad around here as YankeeinDixie is suggesting. It may not be for everyone, but no place is. I have lived in the south my whole life but my parents are from the Boston area. They are considering retiring in eastern NC. If you are decent people then you will have no problem meeting people and making friends here.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,110,545 times
I grew up in NY (Westchester County), then moved out west. Moved to NC in 2005, to Greenville. Just recently left Greenville to be closer to Raleigh... I liked Greenville in general. After southern California, NC has been my second favorite climate (I've lived in NY; CA; NV; UT; OR; NC). Summers are kind of tough with the humidity, but I recall it being pretty hot and humid growing up in NY (though we didn't have A/C growing up, so that influenced my memories).

ECU (yes, make sure you don't say "Eastern Carolina" lol) football is a pretty big deal. In a city of 75,000 and 27,000 students, they regularly sell out their 43,000 (soon to be 50,000) seat stadium. I've never been that much into college football, but it's a fun atmosphere.

Crime is mostly concentrated in the rougher parts of town. We lived a couple of miles southeast of the city limits, and it was quiet and felt extremely safe.

They opened a off-leash dog park a couple of years ago. I don't know the exact location - I'm sure you can find it on this site or via Google.

As others have mentioned, there are a LOT of restaurants for the size of the city. Unfortunately, most are fast food. But there are several good restaurants too.

Housing is very reasonable. Rents are low. As far as buying, labor costs aren't too high and land is reasonable, which makes for reasonable cost to buy a home.

Overall, I enjoyed Greenville, but my wife missed being in or closer to a larger city. Raleigh is a little over an hour away, but that wasn't close enough for her to be happy. Greenville has a fairly small town feel and is fairly "southern," which may be good or bad, depending on your point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina