U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 AM

9 posts, read 21,184 times

Advertisements

To Trying to Decide.
Wish you well in your education, we could use some bright new teachers out there as our education system is sadly declining as is our status in the world. You can easily tough out Greenville to accomplish that and would to a place with more natural scenic beauty and better job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 PM

10,411 posts, read 19,517,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Greenville has a fairly small town feel and is fairly "southern," which may be good or bad, depending on your point of view.
Anyone who considers "Southern" as a bad thing has no business moving into NC--a SOUTHERN state--in the first place.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 PM

14 posts, read 31,467 times
I relocated to Greenville for a graduate program at ECU. It is what you make of it, for now I am enjoying the change of pace. Housing and living expenses are affordable and tuition (in-state) is great. People are welcoming, I have not experienced any witnessing or other religious pressure. There are fewer retail temptations than larger cities, but it makes it easier to live on a student budget. Once a month I head to Raleigh for a trader joes, whole foods, and super target run. Be sure to look at the raleigh forum too they are super nice folks. Raleigh is 90 min away and has about anything you may be missing while here.

I could complain about traffic, but everything is about 15 minutes away which makes sitting thru a couple lights nothing compared to driving in NYC or DC

If you are not into the college scene you will also want to see housing while the students are still in town. Some places are rowdy, you may even want to consider renting a house, there are a lot of duplexes here. Avoid ground level apartments or ones that are secluded. Kicking in doors and swiping electronics out of student apartments seems to be common - happened to 2/30 in my program (both had doors kicked in and stuff swiped, even textbooks!).

Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 AM

451 posts, read 1,694,122 times
I agree with Ponytale...the area around campus experiences a lot of breakins but the further out you go the safer it is. The Firetower Road area has a lot of housing options from apartments to duplexes and from what I can tell is pretty safe, suburban environment yet is close to campus.

While Greenville doesn't have a ton of shopping options, it does have Target, Fresh Market, Kohl's, etc. I guess high end shopping is limited by Arlington Village has some boutique shops that have nice clothes (I personally have never been in them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina