U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM

22 posts, read 58,685 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I am applying to ECU in Greenville for a MAT program. I was wondering if anyone could give me information on the city (crime, housing, weather, things to do, pet friendly parks, places to eat etc....) I am from the Hudson Valley in NY and just want to get a feel for the place before I go down and check it out. Thank you for the answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,752,356 times
Well, for starters it is East Carolina University.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM

3,916 posts, read 5,372,419 times
Neither of my children applied to ECU but I can tell you from experience, visit the school when there are students present. Don't go over spring break, etc, when all you see are empty buildings. Until you see the students, you can't judge your comfort level. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 PM

451 posts, read 1,688,473 times
The weather in general is good, or at least it is a lot warmer than NY! Housing you will probably find inexpensive and the cost of living low. There is a dog park near ECU as well as other parks throughout the City. Watch out for crime, which has been abnormally high the past two years. I think it is a trend in a lot of places, but it is still high here for the size of the town. Areas like Winterville seem to have less crime (knock on wood).

ECU has a lot of school spirit especially during football season, and if you like to get out and socialize there are a lot of hangout spots downtown. Good luck!

By the way, during the summers people gravitate towards the beach or one of the sounds. Boating is popular.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,431,310 times
Funny thing, City-Data itself has profiles on many cities.

Greenville, NC.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM

9 posts, read 21,124 times
I am from Connecticut and previously lived in Raleigh and Greensboro in NC. Greenville is crime ridden, dirty, lacking in decent parks and great restaurants are non existent. We have been to all of the best ones and were sadly disappointed. However it is closer to the beaches than other places and it serves as a great refuge. If you are into culture you will not be pleased as it is nearly non -existent. There are profound racial problems here as well. There are two cults here: the purple and gold football obsession and the Jesus cult. When I moved to NC in the 90's all of my NY friends told me of horror stories in the "New South" but I never found them until we moved to Greenville.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,043,285 times
Avoid NW Greenville and areas north of the river and you'll be alright. Also try not to walk around downtown in the wee hours of the morning. I don't know why people do it but they do and there's always some out of town thug waiting to rob them. If we could keep the out of town thugs out the crime rate would drop 50%. The local police seem to really be stepping up their efforts and there have been a lot of arrests lately all around the city and county.

Greenville has more dining per capita than anywhere else in the country. There's something for everybody but not much high end Manhattan style dining.

There are plenty of things to do. Here's a partial list of them:

Pitt County, NC Leisure Activites (http://www.locateincarolina.com/leisure.aspx - broken link)

You can also click Home in the upper right hand side of that page and read a whole lot more about Greenville and Pitt County.

Housing is affordable and abundant.

Our weather is temperate. While it does get relatively cold in the winter, the cold doesn't usually last long. The record low temp is -3. Make sure you bring your winter clothes even for a visit. This isn't Florida. The normal temps in winter are are around 50/30. Summers tend to be long, hot and dry with a lot of humidity. I've lived in these types of weather for 51 years and still the summer can be stifling.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 AM

451 posts, read 1,688,473 times
Also beware of posters with one post in their history who come in and bash an area. I don't know how people can have certain expectations of a city with less than 100,000 people.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,043,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeindixie View Post
I am from Connecticut and previously lived in Raleigh and Greensboro in NC. Greenville is crime ridden, dirty, lacking in decent parks
You've never been to New York City, Philly, Newark, Baltimore or Washington DC have you?

One of the very things that impressed me on my initial visits here was how much cleaner the whole of Greenville is compared to where I used to live in MD. Maybe it's not as clean as some little seaside town in Connecticut but it sure is a whole lot cleaner than a lot of other places.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 21,124 times
I have lived in 25 communities over the years due to corporate and military moves. Most of these have been places of similar size to Greenville, so I do not compare it to places such as NYC and Washington DC. I am presenting a realistic picture of this community. Look at this website where crime rates per capita are presented. That will afford a clear picture of the crime problems. I come from a town of 10,000 in Ct and understand that it much more affluent and less diverse than Greenville so it cannot compare. If you want an endless supply of chain restaurants, fast food, wings and pizza then this is the town for you. There is just nothing special or charming about this community that makes it memorable There are other towns in NC around this size that have more to offer. It is not a typical "college town" as we had thought prior to relocating here.

On the plus side real estate is cheap here and jobs are scarce and low paying even for a small town.
Today it very cold in Greenville and has been for a week and the summers are stifling. The town is poorly planned and the few major thoroughfares are always jammed up. Riding a bike to work is taking your life into your own hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina