U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 PM

589 posts, read 1,657,355 times
Yes there is work in Wilmington alright. Minimum wage fast food and retail jobs are all you need, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
Default Completely False!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
For a recent college graduate?

I read this on wiki :Wilmington North Carolina was #2 in the Nation in a national study for 2007 projected job growth."

Is this true? I am hesitant on moving to a small city because I am from NJ and going to be moving once I get my degree (in May)

Would I be able to find a decently paying job in Wilmington? Are there young people living in the area? (I am single)
Whatever you do, do not move here! Everyone is broke unemployed and on welfare. I moved here to be closer to my dad and go back to college. Bad Idea! It is IMPOSSIBLE to find employment in this area. I have applied for over 300 jobs in every possible field and am still only working part time and not making enough to survive. Every person I meet who has lived here has to work 3 part time jobs just to pay the bills. It is god awful.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,599,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samjen View Post
I am moving to wilmington in november, I have read the reviews on the poor job status in wilmington. I was wondering if this has improved any since february?
WHY? You read post after post after post saying the job market sucks, yet you move here anyway??

W H Y ? ? ? ?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:50 AM

83 posts, read 99,467 times
im moving with no job.... see yall in 2 weeks.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Good luck! You are going to need it!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
Smile Jobs in Wilmington

WOW! What a negative bunch of people I am reading comments from! I currently live in Wilmington, and I am NOT from here. There are TONS of employed people from up north and all over the country who are live here and have had success in finding careers. Like anything else in life, good things DO NOT COME EASY! Yes, if you google jobs in Wilmington, NC you see PPD, NHRMC, GE, and Corning, but that is by far not the only good places to be employed!

Searching for jobs is always a challenge, and yes, it can take time. Having a negative attitude about the locals here, and holding a grudge against people who have jobs you think you deserve more than them is NOT a good way to start of the job hunt. Be positive, apply for everything you qualify for, go out and meet people, learn about the town, and make connections! I have never lived in a place that is so easy to make professional connections just by talking to someone in the grocery store, at the post office, or out to eat.

Don't sit at your computers being pissed off about not having a job or mad about what happened in the past and post negative things about the job market and the people in Wilmington. You are wasting time! Get off your tails and network, be nice and meet people, and apply to EVERY job you are interested in and qualify for. Moaning and groaning about how much you deserve a job is the best way NOT to get hired.

I hope this helps. Don't give up, the jobs are out there! Wilmington is a great place to live and work. Hang up the bad attitudes.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 PM

1,028 posts, read 714,494 times
Good post....and let's add that the TV/movie industry production has taken off in the past few years in Wilmington....there is a new film/pilot coming out every couple of months that was filmed in Wilmington.

Additionally...it was announced last week that Castle Branch is moving their headquarters to Wilmington...

Castle Branch to bring headquarters, 420 jobs to Wilmington | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News

As well GE has had to slow its expansion based on the world market, but its still the world headquarters for its profitable nuclear division and wil be expanding in the future.

GE announces $300 million nuclear fuel deal | StarNewsOnline.com

Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 PM

30 posts, read 20,776 times
A positive, friendly attitude can do wonders!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM

Wilmington is not the town where you "make it" in life. You have to pay your dues somewhere else and when you have a nice savings/retirement built up, then you move back.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:43 AM

6,367 posts, read 5,711,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Wilmington is not the town where you "make it" in life. You have to pay your dues somewhere else and when you have a nice savings/retirement built up, then you move back.
I'll have to agree with that. I spent my career in Washington, DC doing Information Technology. I could never have found the equivalent job in Wilmington or Jacksonville.

But, I saved my money in the 401K and I retired here to a lovely coastal town with nothing going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina