U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 02:04 PM

22 posts, read 58,574 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I am deciding on whether or not to attend ECU in Greenville for the next year for my masters and everything that I keep hearing is so negative. I know that I need to drive down there and check it out before deciding but can any one tell me why there is so much crime? Are we talking violent crime (rape,murder, drive by shootings etc....) or are we talking property damage, college related crime?

Can anyone that lives in the area suggest places to rent apartments that may be in a safe area? I have heard Winterville several times. If any one knows of housing options please let me know as I will be enrolled in a year long masters program and then eventually trying to move towards Raleigh/Durham area.

Thank you for your time and suggestions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 04:21 PM

451 posts, read 1,687,071 times
I hate to tell you, but crime is on the high side for a lot of North Carolina, not just Greenville. Raleigh isn't too bad for it's size and its suburbs are pretty safe too. Durham has crime problems as well...check city-data.com for the crime indeces for the areas.

Greenville has its fair share of every type of crime, but for the most part the violent crime stays in certain areas of town. If you stay in the Winterville, Firetower Road area you will find safe places to live.

I would attribute the increase in crime to rapid growth and the current state of the economy. The area has grown about 30% in the last decade (approximately).

I have lived in larger metros before so I am more accustomed to hearing about crime, and I have a different perspective than someone who has lived here all their life and seen all the changes (positive and negative).

Old 01-13-2010, 04:29 PM

By the way, Winterville and Greenville basically adjoin each other.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:59 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,102,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
I would attribute the increase in crime to rapid growth and the current state of the economy. The area has grown about 30% in the last decade (approximately).
Note that the crime rate in Greenville, relative to the national rate, is lower now that it was 10 years ago. At least according to this site's statistics.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:39 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,037,432 times
Most of the personal crimes, like murder, assaults and rapes tend to occur when the victim knows the attacker. For example there was a home invasion here a couple of weeks ago where the perps (4 of them) busted down the front door, shot the vic in the leg and then took 15 dollars from him. The cops caught them shortly after but that's not where the meat is in this story. The vic had a long history of drugs and violence. Do you really think the perps were only looking for $15? No. They knew exactly who they were robbing and why. They just didn't find it. That kind of stuff happens a lot. The old saying goes "birds of a feather fly together".

The only crime that bothers me about Greenville is the almost constant gas station and fast food stick ups. Even I must admit it is a little ridiculous. But there are things that these businesses could do to help themselves. First off, they must stop keeping so much cash in the register. There was a robbery about 2 months ago where the bad guys got away with $1500. Why was that money not in a safe? The cashier only needs enough money to make change. $50 is all it takes. When the bad guys know they can get that kind of money it makes the risk worth it. With $1500 that business could have bought a brand new TACC II money dispenser that is designed for retail businesses. If you remember back in the 1970s when every 7-11 in the country seemed to be robbed every day, the TACC II was the answer to that problem.

It also doesn't help when the local media publishes the amount of money taken in a robbery. That is just plain stupidity and irresponsibility on the part of the media. Now every bad guy in town knows that they keep large sums of cash handy at that business. The manager of the business should never have told the cops how much money was stolen either. That's Small Business 101.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:45 AM

^Agreed. The fast food and gas station robberies are rediculous. It seems like the same places get hit time and time again.

While crime has always been present, these robberies have definitely been more frequent and have impacted the area's perception on crime.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:59 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
Quote:
First off, they must stop keeping so much cash in the register. There was a robbery about 2 months ago where the bad guys got away with $1500. Why was that money not in a safe? The cashier only needs enough money to make change. $50 is all it takes.
I completely agree with your idea (and most convenience stores DO usually have signs saying "no more than $____ in the register") but it takes more than $50; I used to manage a retail store and you'd be amazed at the folks who will hand you a $100 bill for a $5 purchase (even first thing in the AM when you haven't gotten any Twenties yet). Typically a store would keep $200-$300 in cash in the drawer for change, since a couple of C-Notes in a row can clean you out, and it's even MORE dangerous if you have to go into the safe to get to big bills for change because the drawer ran out. But yes, it certainly doesn't need to be $1500!

Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I completely agree with your idea (and most convenience stores DO usually have signs saying "no more than $____ in the register") but it takes more than $50; I used to manage a retail store and you'd be amazed at the folks who will hand you a $100 bill for a $5 purchase (even first thing in the AM when you haven't gotten any Twenties yet). Typically a store would keep $200-$300 in cash in the drawer for change, since a couple of C-Notes in a row can clean you out, and it's even MORE dangerous if you have to go into the safe to get to big bills for change because the drawer ran out. But yes, it certainly doesn't need to be $1500!
A simple sign on the door takes care of that. NO $100 BILLS. I ran a Texaco gas station for a number of years for a company called Southern Maryland Oil. If we did an audit of an attendant and they had more than $50 on them (not including change) they would get written up. Get written up 3 times and you get the opportunity to look for a new job.

The TACC II machine eliminates the need for a cashier to keep any more than $50 in the drawer. The cashier can still get access to more money if they need it for the occasional $100 bill. They put money into small plastic tubes which fit in specific slots in the TACC II machine, depending on how much money is in the tube. When a cashier needs more money they just press a specific button on the front of the machine and the machine will release 1 tube of money. Then if the cashier wants more money they are forced to wait 2 minutes (the time is programmable by an administrator or manager) before they can get another tube of money.

We would normally have tubes set up like this....

10-1 dollar bills
2-5 dollar bills
2-10 dollar bills
1 -2 20 dollar bills and a 10 dollar bill ($50 total)
1-roll of pennies
1-roll of nickels
1-roll of dimes
1-roll of quarters

I think we had around 30 stations when I managed for SMO, robberies were a rare occurrence and they never got much.

It is a very good system and I never heard complaints from my attendants that they needed access to more money.

Tidel - TACC IIa - Overview (http://www.tidel.com/product_tacc2a_overview.asp - broken link)

Old 01-16-2010, 09:14 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,038,023 times
Why so much crime in greenville?

Two thoughts here. 1. could be because of a high density criminal population 2. just a couple of serious over-achievers. The numbers could also be a fluke, or a mistake.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
[ 2. just a couple of serious over-achievers.
This is often the case. You'll get one guy or group that goes on a crime spree and once they catch them crimes quiet down for a while. We had a guy from Tarboro a couple of years ago that robbed gas stations all summer long until they caught him. In today's newspaper there's a guy that broke into at least 61 cars. The Daily Reflector (http://www.reflector.com/police/monitor-doesnt-stop-break-20373 - broken link)

The judge initially let him out with an ankle monitor and he went right back to breaking into cars. This time he's not going to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina