Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 12:55 PM

11 posts, read 48,196 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!

I recently moved to New Bern, NC and I have to say that I am falling in love with the town each and every day. Everyone has been nice and helpful since the move and I can’t wait to go out and experience all that NC has to offer. My only concern is finding employment. I haven’t had luck so far and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on where to look. I have been told that craigslist is a good place to start but they seem to be leading me to dead ends. Any help or direction would be great!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,863,972 times
DO you know anybody? Nepotism is king. From federal jobs like the Fleet Readiness Center over at Cherry Point to working fast food.

What kind of work are you trying to do?

IMO the best temporary job in the world is pizza delivery. Though minimum wage, w/ tips you typically make about $14/hr plus gas. Also you learn you area and may discover things you may not have otherwise known. In addition, there are networking possibilities as well.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:22 PM

My ideal field would be Bridal, Hospitality, Event Planning but i am learning that jobs in that field are very very limited. I was thinking about going to the Bridal Show next weekend to see which industry professionals are in the area.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,663,060 times
My spouse is an admin wizard. Has been an Exec Asst, admin asst to movers and shakers, and been in all areas of banking. As an navy wife, she has moved and taken many jobs. Until New Bern she had never been turned down on an application she submitted. She has been searching HARD for a year. NADA! Good Luck.

Craigs list is FULL OF SCAMS. Be very very careful of ANYTHING you see there. One scam in particular is from a fellow who says he has a work at home job, but he is out of country. He asks you send a bunch of information to him. Do not do it. My wife spotted this early, but in doing an internet investigation, I found that many many people did not recognize the scam and had sent lots of personal info.

Good Luck

lln

Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 PM

Thank you soo much for the heads up and i think i know the ad that you are referring to. I replied but once i read his response email i know it was a scam for sure!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,602 times
Hi Vicky, I am also new to the area and I completely understand what you are going through. I am having a really hard time finding employment I do not know if you were laid off from your previous employer but the ESC NC site does post employment opportunities. I can say that I have noticed more jobs being posted on the internet in the area on the increase. Have you looked in Jacksonville?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 PM

424 posts, read 1,286,850 times
Consider driving up to 30 miles and widen your search, at this time smaller towns like New Bern have been hit hard with the economy. Also, networking, meeting and talking to people is the ONLY way to go in such a tough job market. Online searches are nearly fruitless.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:50 PM

PDRich I have found that website to be the most helpful and am learning that I will probably not find my dream job position or pay rate but a job is a job! I am continuing my search and search area. Thanks mattbward I am also learning that neighboring towns are not as far away as I once thought. It looks like they are building up the area so I am hopeful for the future. There is a new Hotel on DR M L King Jr Blvd and there looks to be a new building going up in the mall. Maybe new jobs are to be found all around.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM

15 posts, read 90,761 times
In New Bern the area of employment that you are looking in already has a core group of people with 20 plus years of experience. If you want to get into that group you must consider working in a restaurant/hotel first and take some time to prove yourself. Show that you are reliable, available and professional and you will find your way in. Make as many friends as possible in downtown NB and Morehead by frequenting the restaurants, making yourself available as a volunteer and become an established part of the community. Good Luck!!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,719,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyH View Post
Hi everyone!!

I recently moved to New Bern, NC and I have to say that I am falling in love with the town each and every day. Everyone has been nice and helpful since the move and I can’t wait to go out and experience all that NC has to offer. My only concern is finding employment. I haven’t had luck so far and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on where to look. I have been told that craigslist is a good place to start but they seem to be leading me to dead ends. Any help or direction would be great!!!!
No offense intended, but people all over this board have been warning folks NOT to move to NC right now without a job--unemployment here is in the top 7 states in the US. I wish you well, but perhaps your experience can serve as a warning to others to find a job before moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina