Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
They actually are building a bypass like that. The western most portion by clayton has been built. when its complete you will still have to deal with a few lights in Johnston County. They are working on the portions in Goldsboro and Kinston now. You can see some of the Kinston work from the current 70 by West Pharm. When it's compete it will bypass James City and Havelock as well.
The Super 70 Corridor probably won't be finished for another 10-15yrs at least. They're working on the Goldsboro part now but the Kinston Bypass is not under construction yet. They're actually extending the CF Harvey Parkway to the Global Transpark to the north. They still haven't decided whether or not to route US 70 to the north or south of Kinston. It's difficult because a northern bypass would be much longer but a southern bypass would require constructing new bridges over the Neuse River and go through the floodplain.

The bypass around Havelock to Morehead City is even further away and in Smithfield they haven't decided what to do about the 3 different US 70 highways they have there.

I never understood why US 64 was built up to freeway standards before 70 when way more people drive down US 70 to get to the beaches and the only decent sized town along 64 is Rocky Mount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I never understood why US 64 was built up to freeway standards before 70 when way more people drive down US 70 to get to the beaches and the only decent sized town along 64 is Rocky Mount.
Marc Basnight's restaurant is a quarter mile before the eastern terminus of 64.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
Seems folks want to move here but they want to change here. So why move here? I've lived here 30 years and it has been the most common syndrome of people from off I've noticed. I've seen countless businesses come to coastal NC that were going to "teach" or "show the locals how its done". I can't think of a single one of those businesses that are still around.
It's the beach. It's the water. It's the sun, surf,sand, fish, boats and storms, heat, humidity and bugs. It's also tourists-Some areas are thicker than others.
It isn't Myrtle Beach. It isn't Ocean City Maryland. It isn't Norfolk, Virginia.
The outer coastal region of NC is composed of three distinct regions. The inner coastal area is an environment in of itself.
It is what it is.
Bill

Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Seems folks want to move here but they want to change here. So why move here? I've lived here 30 years and it has been the most common syndrome of people from off I've noticed. I've seen countless businesses come to coastal NC that were going to "teach" or "show the locals how its done". I can't think of a single one of those businesses that are still around.
It's the beach. It's the water. It's the sun, surf,sand, fish, boats and storms, heat, humidity and bugs. It's also tourists-Some areas are thicker than others.
It isn't Myrtle Beach. It isn't Ocean City Maryland. It isn't Norfolk, Virginia.
The outer coastal region of NC is composed of three distinct regions. The inner coastal area is an environment in of itself.
It is what it is.
Bill
Not all of us are retirees whom have a choice of where to move to. Have you ever thought that maybe some families may not have any other choice/option but to move to this region? Some folks are military and are ordered to live here for mulitple years. Others may have elderly parents/family members whom they have to take care of untill they pass away. So, that's why they move here.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Have you ever thought that maybe some families may not have any other choice/option but to move to this region?
And your point?
I lived in NYC many years ago. Never once did I try to change it. Why? Because it is what it is.
Work use to have me traveling alot. Never once did I try to change Toronto or Los Angeles or Mexico or Nova Scotia or...........
Why? Because it is what it is.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
Mr Bill.... you are correct. Your question.... "and your point ?" is indeed "on point" !

As much as I could go on for an hour about New Jersey, I and nobody else can change it any more than anyone can change North Carolina or any other place. To think that any citizen's complaints or suggestions will get our beloved elected officials to change ANYTHING let alone the HIGHWAY SYSTEM is in itself ludicrous.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
About hurricanes -- one thing that really helps is to Keep It Simple. Our place at Atlantic Beach has never been seriously damaged (50+ years). After a major storm, we just let it dry, maybe sweep out some sand and broken glass, throw away a mattress or whatever, and we're back in business. On the other hand, I have seen $60,000 in damage done by a minor hurricane to a neighbor's place that is really foo-foo. As far as I know, however, no really major hurricane has hit the Bogue Banks Barrier Island (Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach, Indian Beach, Salter Path, etc.) for 50 years. Bill will probably know if this history is entirely accurate, and I hope he speaks up if it is not..

Old 05-25-2011, 03:21 PM

The only thing that comes to mind were 3 hurricanes within just a few weeks of each other that made landfall at Cape Lookout area, Salter Path/Indian Beach and I believe Sneads Ferry. 3 storms in 3 weeks back in the mid 1950's.

It wasn't so much that anyone of the storms was "big". It was just the fact of direct hits so close together that created the damage.
As far as Bogue Banks goes-Fran may have been the biggest during th past 50 years. Well, now that I think about it, the March storm of 1993 probably was the worst storm event during that time period and wasn't even a hurricane! As memory serves, the wind meter at the AB Police Dept literally blow away with its last reading of 105-110mph.

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 05-25-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Why are NC beaches not more like Florida beaches where there are attractions, fine dining, etc?

Quote:
Well.....I will tell you what I would improve. First of all, tear down ALL of the ugly old houses and run down trailers throughtout the eastern NC. Also, tear down the UGLY buildboards, they are eyesores. Then, add at least a few decent FINE dining options please. Also, open up some type of Frankie's Fun Park (child activities attraction) for children to have arcade/gocarts/putt putt/batting cage/bumper boats,etc. Also, build a NEW MOVIE theater with stadium seating instead of old run down dumpy movie theaters currently located throughout coastal NC. Last, but not least, invest in a decent highway bypass that will allow traveling to the coast more convenient.
There IS a coastal city that has lots of fine dining, lots and lots of modern housing, a go kart track, arcade, putt putt, a modern 16 screen movie theater with stadium seating and a modern 4 lane split highway with zero stoplights on it that runs right into the middle of the city from central and western NC.

It's called Wilmington.
Just goes to show that the first post in this thread is fact......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
There is no simple description of coastal NC.
Bill

Old 05-25-2011, 04:00 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Not all of us are retirees whom have a choice of where to move to. Have you ever thought that maybe some families may not have any other choice/option but to move to this region? Some folks are military and are ordered to live here for mulitple years. Others may have elderly parents/family members whom they have to take care of untill they pass away. So, that's why they move here.

As many of them that stay after they get out, I wouldn't use the military to support your argument. I know military members who've moved away and still say that there are few better places to raise a family than Craven/Carteret area. Matter of fact the reason I was blessed enough to be from Coastal Carolina is because my mother stayed in the area after she got out of the Marine Corps.

Maybe that's where some of your frustration comes from, though, the fact that you are not there by choice and thus feel trapped.

Last edited by macjr82; 05-25-2011 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina