Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times

Advertisements

Gill net closure in North Carolina coastal waters.
Now how do I do this without offending anyone? hhhmmm...............
One of the most debated issues about North Carolina coastal fisheries is the gill net. After decades of arguement it looks like there will be a closure of sorts due to interactions with turtles.
This is very big. Very big. The Feds are involved, Duke U. Law is involved and many more.
Here comes the potentially offending part of the post. I produce a radio show called Saltwater Catch. We did an exclusive half hour interview with the Director of the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries about this.
The interview airs on on an eastern NC radio station several times this week and online at a site by the same name as the radio show.
I hope this stays up-This is a very important issue.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:01 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Default There are definite sides to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Gill net closure in North Carolina coastal waters.
Now how do I do this without offending anyone? hhhmmm...............
One of the most debated issues about North Carolina coastal fisheries is the gill net. After decades of arguement it looks like there will be a closure of sorts due to interactions with turtles.
This is very big. Very big. The Feds are involved, Duke U. Law is involved and many more.
Here comes the potentially offending part of the post. I produce a radio show called Saltwater Catch. We did an exclusive half hour interview with the Director of the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries about this.
The interview airs on on an eastern NC radio station several times this week and online at a site by the same name as the radio show.
I hope this stays up-This is a very important issue.
Bill
As someone who has seen a lot of waste from gill nets in the summer. I am happy to see this.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
As someone who has seen a lot of waste from gill nets in the summer. I am happy to see this.
Me, too.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Just my opinion, but, the collateral damage is just too great to justify the usage.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 AM

Ah yes-The gill net controversey!
Here's something to think about. can a 6 inch diameter peg fit through a 2 inch diameter hole?
Same laws of physics apply to fish.

Can a 2 diameter peg freely go through a 6 inch diameter hole?
Same laws of physics apply to fish.

Some like to promote the misnomer that a gill net is nothing but a wall of death when it fact it is a target specific piece of gear.

By the way-You ought to hear what is considered an "interaction" with a turtle. It goes well beyond commercial or recreational fishing gear!
Bill

Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 AM

Guess maybe I should clarify my above post.
A gill net will be of a specific mesh size. The mesh size used is to target certain fish(s) If the species is smaller than the whole the mesh makes the fish will swim through. If the fish is bigger than the size of the whole the mesh makes makes then the fish will bounce off.
Is it 100% efficient?
Nope.
Neither is putting shrimp on a two hook bottom rig 100% efficient, or any other recreational type of fishing.
And a fish is not automatically killed, or even harmed when caught in a gill net. I have been out with the NC Division of Marine Fisheries during tagging studies. These were studies where fish were captured, tagged and released alive for future study.
The method of captutre? Gill nets.
Bill

Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 AM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
The absence of gill net fishing will be very effective at driving up the cost of seafood. We'll see how excited everyone is when flounder costs $15 per pound.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Bingo!
The promoters and advocates of a gill net ban never make the circle complete. The gill netted fish is destine to yours and mine table.
But really-Everyone needs to hear what the Director has to say about the whole affair in regards to turtle interaction. It doesn't just pretain to gill nets, or just commercial fishermen or just recreational fishermen.
Bill

Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Gill nets should be removed from all coastal waters. They kill too many "non targeted" fish and turtles.

Just too much waste. Unfortunately, many that use gill nets have no compunction about not only breaking the law, but completely demolishing the law. For some reason, many netters feel it is their right to do what they like, where they like, and when they like. The best way to control these shenanigans is to ban all nets. Period.

Basically, netters and their imbecilic and loudly shouted view on their rights to control an ever dwindling resource are their own worst enemies.

The textile mills are gone, the cotton gins are gone, the huge tobacco farms are gone and soon, the gill nets will be gone and good riddance. It is Economic Darwinism. Those failing to adapt to changes to the environment are selected out.

What the netters and those that do their bidding do not tell you is without the nets, fishing would be much better and so would catching. You come to the coast you get to catch your own fish, rather go to the deep fried fish house to eat netted fish. But if you want to eat fish, you can. Most, if not all, SE states have abolished gill nets, and believe it or not, folks still eat seafood there. Ain't that just amazing!!!!! God Bless America!

lln

Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
A net is simply a tool to catch fish. You make it sound like net fishing can't be or isn't regulated. It's just like operating a car on a public road. We make rules about how, when and where it can be done and provide some enforcement so that it is done responsibly. Banning net fishing it is not practical. There are certain species of fish that can't be caught on a hook and line. Shrimp boat nets and crab pots work on the same concept. Are we going to ban them too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina