Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 49,935 times

Advertisements

Here in Idaho where I live currently, we have a wonderful program for children called the Early Intervention Program, in which children (ages 3-5), who show delays in two or more areas are able to get the help that they need so when they start school, they aren't so far behind. Do the schools in Brunswick County offer this kind of program and if so, what is it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Go to North Carolina's Department of Health and Human Services website, it describes North Carolina early intervention services for children birth to five years.

SL

Old 07-27-2006, 12:36 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Is this early intervention specifically for speech and language?

Old 07-27-2006, 06:02 AM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
I have a child who went through Early intervention. In NJ, Early intervention ends at 3 yrs. old. It is not just for speech and language delays. It is also for fine motor, gross motor and really anything they can help with. The case worker will even go out to eat with your family and help teach the child and parent how to handle social situations. It's an all around great program. When the child turns 3 yrs. old he/she is then taken into the school system. There are many programs and it is in a classroom setting. Handicapped pre-school is what they call it in my town.And you dont have to be physically handicapped, although, they're are those who are (poor dears). They're, the children recieve what they need, speech therapy, Occupational therapy, socialization skills. I would think this falls under Federal Guidelines meaning all states must have this service.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 AM

EIS is for children with a wide range of developmental delays or disabilities.

It is a federal program. And like you said patty, it is birth to three in Jersey. I was surprised to see NC's site say that coverage extended to five.

I have a child with special needs too.

SL

Old 07-27-2006, 07:58 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Right, I'm sorry- my wife is an SLP and typically I hear abou the SL side of it. However she normally works with a team of OT,PT, etc.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:03 AM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Right, I'm sorry- my wife is an SLP and typically I hear abou the SL side of it. However she normally works with a team of OT,PT, etc.
And Thank God for them all.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
And Thank God for them all.
She's a former marketing person who hated her job and went back to school in the mid 90s. She totally loves it. She loves the early intervention as she loves working with the children in that age group. However, I'm hoping the job market in Charlotte is big enough to support her desire to stay with early intervention. There seems to be a ton of jobs for working with the elder, but (at the moment) she wants to stick with the kids...

Old 07-27-2006, 09:05 AM

Mike,

Here in Jersey I am in educational sales. Or, as most people say I am a recruiter for a private post-secondary vocational school. The money is good but I am soooo tired of it.

I've thought about going back to school for SLP, or perhaps something in the field of special education. You just reminded me to go to UNC's website and see what graduate programs are available.

So, your wife really enjoys working with the little ones, huh? Will she attempt to land a job prior to relocation?

Thanks.

SL

Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee
Mike,

Here in Jersey I am in educational sales. Or, as most people say I am a recruiter for a private post-secondary vocational school. The money is good but I am soooo tired of it.

I've thought about going back to school for SLP, or perhaps something in the field of special education. You just reminded me to go to UNC's website and see what graduate programs are available.

So, your wife really enjoys working with the little ones, huh? Will she attempt to land a job prior to relocation?

Thanks.

SL
Hi Sara, well since our relocation is within 30 days, we are nearly consumed with that, and she'll be winding down her current SLP position here in Boston. Ideally (my idea anyway) as it would have been good to have a job in hand for her upon moving down. She feels more comfortable doing the job hunting after we're there. We see openings all over the state and in Charlotte, and we're told possibly in the school system. Ideally she'd like to go to a program that does in-house or on-site thearpy, as that's what she's done here. Yes, she LOVES working with the kids. All the time the parent(s) of the kids give her little gifts (cookies, a drawing, a stock tip, etc.) . She loves the human interaction and the making a difference aspect.

I'll say this, it was the greatest career move she ever made, and at the time it was possible (our daughter wasn't born yet). She technically makes less than high tech marketing (although given the state of high tech in the US I doubt if that's very true anymore) but she is totally happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina