U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:34 AM

27 posts, read 66,513 times

Advertisements

Is there another beach area other than Wilmington that you guys can recommend? I've read a few posts and all of them recommend Wilmington! hhmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 10:45 AM

956 posts, read 4,073,807 times
My Niece lives in Beaufort near Morehead City/Atlantic Beach area. I used to live about 80 miles inland from there. It is a nice area, but growing fast like most of NC. Lots of New Jersey and New York money going there. Its only one days drive back to see the grand kids for retirees. Get there quick before the prices outstrip Fla.
PS-I live in the City and am not sure what the water is like on Long Island, but I can tell you that the water is Crap in most of coastal Carolina. You will have to drink bottled water.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:25 AM

890 posts, read 3,967,774 times
That is because Wilmington is the closest place you are going to find along the coast that actually resembles a city. Most if not all of the beach towns along the NC coast are not as developed. As mentioned above, Morehead City would be another choice but it is nothing like Wilmington, at least it wasn't the last time I was up that way.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,902,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj
That is because Wilmington is the closest place you are going to find along the coast that actually resembles a city. Most if not all of the beach towns along the NC coast are not as developed. As mentioned above, Morehead City would be another choice but it is nothing like Wilmington, at least it wasn't the last time I was up that way.
I didn't think much of Atlantic Beach but it was ok but I hope Wilmington is better. I heard Carolina Beach is a Blue wave winner. Means it's clean I guess.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:17 PM

956 posts, read 4,073,807 times
Default Wilmington is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
I didn't think much of Atlantic Beach but it was ok but I hope Wilmington is better. I heard Carolina Beach is a Blue wave winner. Means it's clean I guess.
I just said my niece lived there. If I had to choose a coastal town or city to live in, Wilmington would be my choice also.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 PM

787 posts, read 3,322,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
My Niece lives in Beaufort near Morehead City/Atlantic Beach area. I used to live about 80 miles inland from there. It is a nice area, but growing fast like most of NC. Lots of New Jersey and New York money going there. Its only one days drive back to see the grand kids for retirees. Get there quick before the prices outstrip Fla.
PS-I live in the City and am not sure what the water is like on Long Island, but I can tell you that the water is Crap in most of coastal Carolina. You will have to drink bottled water.
Boy did she ever tell the truth about the water near Altantic Beach. Horrible creation. It talks like the salt water almost. I live 90 miles inland in Greene County. Where were you from if you don't mind saying? I was going to guess Lenoir County.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:28 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,902,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
Boy did she ever tell the truth about the water near Altantic Beach. Horrible creation. It talks like the salt water almost. I live 90 miles inland in Greene County. Where were you from if you don't mind saying? I was going to guess Lenoir County.

Yeah I made the best of my vacation because I love the beach but I'm hoping for better in Carolina Beach this time.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:04 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,407,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
Does this mean that people in NC prefer bottled water to tap water? Is that in Wilmington and the other coastal areas only?

Old 07-27-2006, 06:31 PM

915 posts, read 2,312,683 times
I lived in Carolina Beach for about 3 years. Water was terrible and undrinkable. Had to buy bottled water and eventually just got a water cooler. I live in Asheville now, the water is fine here.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:35 PM

787 posts, read 3,322,948 times
I am further inland and I don't as a general rule buy bottled water although there are a lot of people that do. But from my experience the older folks seem to make out with the tap water. It is mainly the younger and working people that buy bottle water. But down in Morehead City at least, the water is horrible. My BIL lives in Rocky Point which is about 15 miles to the NW of Wilmington and to my knowledge he doesn't us bottled water. I never saw him use bottled water when he was living in the city limits of Wilmington. And I know if it had been that bad, his first wife would have bought bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina