Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 06:16 PM

126 posts, read 192,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDrez View Post
For those who are not long term resident/property owners in Fairfield Harbour you should keep this latest water rise in perspective. The water level rose 4.5 feet this time and 8.5 feet during Irene. This recent experience was a walk in the park. The further east you go from I-95 in this part of NC the more beautiful the state becomes and the price you pay is a little extra rain and wind occasionally.

A clarification concerning the draw bridge. The problem is the elevation of the approach on the New Bern side, right next to Union Point Park. The bridge closes to traffic due to flooding at this approach during high water events. The bridge itself never comes close to being under water.

Pete Drez

That sounds to be on the money. When I was looking at the unit I purchased, that was one question I asked. Irene put three feet of water under my condo unit around the pilings. From people in the area I heard Irene is the high water mark with considerably more wind. I heard also the marinas in downtown New Bern got hammered during Irene. Where as the marina in FFH was relatively unscathed during Irene. Just high water.
Apparently Northwest Creek Marina is known to be a protected marina. A safe haven of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 08:56 AM

120 posts, read 233,884 times
I will offer the following observations on bad weather from my 16 years of living in FFH on the water. The maximum winds I have experienced are 85 to 90 MPH. Hurricanes and storm eyes, like the most recent one, usually stay to the east of FFH. Thus as the storms approach the winds start out of the east and turn to the north. Both directions drive water up the Neuse from Pamlico Sound. As the weather eye passes the winds shift to the west and drive the water down the Neuse back into Pamlico Sound.

Winds less than 40 MPH, such as last week do little damage, just some flooding. If the wind gets over 40 MPH trees start to come down, the water will rise 5 feet or higher, and power will very likely go out for a while. The severity of these problems is directly related to the wind speed.

As for marinas, location is most important. The big disaster years back in New Bern was when the water rose high enough for Bridge Point Marina to top their dock anchor pilings and float away as unit, docks, boats and all. Northwest Creek Marina is exposed to the south around to the west. So, their wind exposure is greatest after the storm eye passes. I personally attribute much of the success at Northwest Creek Marina in dealing with foul weather to the former dock master, Bud Ellis, who took care of all the boats better than any dockmaster I ever met in 40 years of boating. I can not offer any observations related to the current management.

My advice for all is to never place anything difficult to move lower than 10 feet above sea level. Have a plan for moving low items to higher ground. If you have a boat in the water, tie it with large redundant lines to a dock that you have inspected for condition. Make sure you have flood insurance. Accept that once the strong winds start you can not do anything outside so do not try. Then do what is best for the safety and well being of yourself, your family, and your pets. When the storm passess there will be plenty of time to pick up whatever. If you are a believer, you might want to add a pray or two or three.

Pete Drez

Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 AM

Excellent post and advice.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:24 PM

Looks like the marina restaurant is finally on the Yelp map.
Sunrise Sunset - Italian - 100 Marina Dr - New Bern, NC - Reviews - Yelp

Still no website though.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:51 AM

183 posts, read 326,839 times
They have a Facebook page

Old 11-02-2015, 02:50 AM

And now it looks like they have a web page.

Sunrise Sunset Grill

Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 AM

I'm thinking that web sight is still in development. Contact info says opening soon and the Sat-Sun hours don't make sense to me. Midnight to Noon?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:31 AM

120 posts, read 233,884 times
With 2015 quickly coming to a close, it seems appropriate to look at the year of change in Fairfield Harbour. In terms of significant change there has been none. The place looks very much the same after 5 years of suits which in the end netted nothing, but a court firm restatement of allowable POA usage of dues. We have a new POA President who appears to have a good perspective of what the POA should have as a focus for the benefit of the community (good news). We also have a new Community Manager, with the former disappearing suddenly, without notice, and without any explanation (good news). Also, been a while since I have heard of property owners having one another arrested, something that was frequent in the past (good news). The one remaining legal issue is the outcome of the recreational amenities owner's federal bankruptcy case. For some reason I fail to capture, the POA believes they are entitled to something coming out of this case, so the Federal Courts will sort that out for all of us.

We have an up and running waterfront restaurant that offers good food, OK service, and reasonable prices. Support for the business is there presently, I only hope it hangs in there for 1Q16 when the entire area seems to hibernate. The POA has promised a Pickle Ball Court, and a Dog Park in short order, using two former tennis courts (good news). A professional landscaping company has been hired and the results are pleasing to my eyes. An interesting indicator in my mind of the mood of the community, is the fact that the decorations by home owners for the holidays are definitely increased since last year. And the animosity between property owners seem to be waning. Appears to be multiple reasons from some just deciding that life is too short for more of the same, to some relocating, to some passing.

Overall, I believe that we are poised for some positive progress in 2016, perhaps significant gains, as the worst definitely seems to be over. The one thing we do not need is someone or a group of property owners introducing additional stress into the community. Let the healing continue.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Years to all.

Pete Drez

Old 01-07-2016, 06:39 AM

Somehow I missed seeing the above post. Nice post, and happy new year.

On a different subject,
There seems to be a very serious storm brewing over at SJP with the IRS. Could be quite financially devastating.
IRS case

Does anyone know if there are similar conservation easements in FFH? I have my doubts that there are, given the age of the FFH development which is likely before the concept of conservation easements was vogue with municipalities and developers.
It appears the IRS is on the hunt.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
Hello All,

We are looking for a place to retire.
My wife and I live today in a neighborhood with a POA and we understand that to make a POA work well you have to get involved.

We are looking for an area where we can make friends and enjoy the sun.(we live in the snow belt of Ohio)
We like to
1. Go to neighborhood parties.
2. Game night with friends.
3. Golf about 1-2 times per year in scrambles.
4. I like to sail on my small 19 ft weekend sailboat (alacrity19).

Some questions
1. What are the annual dues for FFH?
2. What does that give you?
3. Is their a boat ramp that I can use?
4. I read about some lawsuits, what is the status of these lawsuits?
5. Are the golf courses being maintained?
6. Are the roads are owned my the neighborhood and are they being maintained?
7. Does FFH homes have well water or town water?
8. Does FFH homes have septic of sewers?

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina