Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 07:37 AM

23 posts, read 31,176 times

Advertisements

Thanks Pete, sounds like a reasonable plan. One thing I am not clear on, is Mid South and Jack Shaw one and the same in respect to who will control the property if the POA does not buy it?b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 AM

183 posts, read 326,515 times
I do say that all the broken fences need to be mended.All of the animosity that remains from previous disputes has not helped this community it has only hurt it significantly.I am not here to stir anything up,to point fingers at anyone or to say who was right or wrong.I don't live in the past because the past is just that.If this community can't look forward and leave the past behind then I think we all know the outcome.I personally wouldn't understand why a developer would purchase that property.So much bad history attached to it and this community.$2.75 million seems steep to me.Shaw may think he is backing the community into a corner.You can call his bluff and offer $2 million.I am sure he wants to hurt this community with as much litigation he has been put through.You do have some good ideas.I do agree that old clubhouse and pool needs to go.It was outdated and in in disrepair.Thanks for your honest opinion it was just what I was looking for.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:41 PM

126 posts, read 192,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDrez View Post
Gjjb1953, I am going to respond with an opinion, void of the facts to back it up, as that would take volumes. I believe an opinion is what you requested. Also, recognize that it has taken 24 years to get into this mess, so there is no quick solution.

Start with Midsouth retaining their land. It has very little commercial value, as the prices of standing inventory in FFH is so low, that selling new construction is not possible at a profit.

Redirect the POA focus to the members of the organization and the healing and coming together of the various senior gangs that make FFH less than a pleasant community. Curing this problem has to be the highest priority. Lacking success in this area dooms the community.

Next mend the relationship between the POA membership and MidSouth. The animosity between MS and some members, including prior Board members, has been the prime contributor to the decay of this relationship. Cooperation is needed between MidSouth and the POA as we share ownership of what is considered a single entity, Fairfield Harbour.

For the golfers, course bordering land owners, and time share owners, who want the Harbour Point Course to remain open, privately form a group and approach MidSouth on what it would take to keep the course open, and be prepared to pay a premium because of low membership numbers.

And the POA Board should engage MidSouth on the demolition of the Shoreline club house, cracked pool, and golf cart shack, converting this land to maintained green space. Also, MidSouth should be engaged on maintaining all their land to a pleasing appearance. The POA can not use member dues to contribute to this expense but is free to use its non dues income.

That is my opinion on how we get started on the road to recovery.

Pete

Given time and opportunity, reason prevails. Your opinion above is the most sensible suggestion I've read in this thread for some time.
Now to see if Midsouth and the POA can follow suit.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 PM

120 posts, read 233,634 times
MidSouth is a single purpose Limited Liability Corporation, that owns the Midsouth 385 acres in Fairfield Harbour. Midsouth is owned by Shaw Resources, a real estate development company, and Jack E. Shaw is the President and the largest investor in Shaw Resources. Jack Shaw recently personally paid off the $3M loan balance on the MidSouth real estate and, currently owns it free and clear as I understand the situation. Bottom line, Jack Shaw is the "Boss Man" that makes all decisions for MidSouth. One additional tidbit, Jack Shaw was a Director in the BB&T bank from 1997 through Year End 2004. This is the bank that denied the POA the $2.75M loan a few week back to buy the amenities from none other than Jack Shaw. Small world.

Pete

Old 08-07-2016, 09:26 AM

Sounds like Jack Shaw has tied this all up in a nice little ball for himself.He obviously wants to be rid of Fairfield Harbour but at his price.If we could get the financing then the next epic battle looms I suppose as to what to do with said property.I might be dead by the time that would get resolved.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:50 AM

Just a brief fact update for the group. The preference vote of the POA members on the proposal to purchase and pay for the Midsouth amenities, without use of dues or in conflict with any statutes, court results, or contracts (DORs), was 43% in favor and 57% not in favor, expressed either by a direct vote at the second scheduled meeting, or by not voting. The POA has expressed the results were therefore positive for their proposal. Go figure??

Pete

Old 08-28-2016, 04:05 PM

Pete, Are you assuming that everyone who didn't vote should be considered a vote not to purchase. I think that is a bit of a stretch. For those actually voting, the vote was 1202 in favor of acquiring the property and amenities and 377 against (even if you take into account the POA owned properties as voting proxies that is a huge majority). If even 10% of the absentee voters were in favor of the purchase it would still be a majority. Is it possible that simply most people think owning the property is a good idea and those not in favor are simply not representing the voice of the community at large? I look at is as buying the vacant lot next to you. Sometimes it is not so much that you want to do anything with the property as much as you want to be sure something isn't done that you want to avoid. At <$1,00o per property owner I am still quite convinced this makes sense. But maybe that is just me?

Old 08-29-2016, 05:17 AM

Chris, your first sentence is exactly how our DOR's define the voting process on a valid proposal in FFH. Not an assumption on my part. Less than approximately 1421 affirmative votes on a "valid" proposal, the proposal fails. And that process treats a "NO" vote and a NON vote exactly the same.

We are not a democracy, nor a republic, nor a dictatorship, nor any other form of government. We are simply a NC non profit corporation that has a contract with each property owner containing a set of authorities and obligations that the POA and members must follow, with all parties to the contracts having the right of enforcement.

I am going to pass on any discussion on the pros and cons of the various approaches to the amenities until the current POA idea has matured to the point that it has all the attributes of a plan. I just do not have sufficient information on the idea to comment at this time.

Pete

Old 08-29-2016, 06:04 AM

Interesting, considering how difficult it is to get >50% participation in any voting process I'm surprised any changes are ever made in FFH (maybe none ever have?). Perhaps they should propose a vote to Not Buy the Amenities and the lack of participation would be a yes vote.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:57 AM

I am awaiting the next step and hoping the POA actually knows what they are doing.I am not educated enough on every past issue to give a educated opinion.I think I would have liked to have seen a counter offer of 1.75 million to see where Shaw's head is at.I don't know if any negotiating happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina