U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 AM

6,880 posts, read 6,673,495 times
Default Fairfield Harbour vs. Carolina Colours

Here are some other factors to consider. FH is establiesh, going back to the 1979 era, and it has over 800 homes. CC is new, starting about 2006. Here is a quote on the amenties from a Zillow listing: "Beautiful home in the state of the art golfing community of Carolina Colours. Neighborhood enjoys bike paths, sidewalks, social pavillion, and fitness room at this time. Plans have been made for a Towne lawn park, shopping center, pool, and fitness center. Golf memberships are available and the 18 hole course is open to the public."

So, CC has the golf course running, but no pool or fitness center. It also has minimal water- a couple lake or creeks, but no deep water access.

FH has deep water, pools, clubhouse, but no golf currently (I believe).

Both are "all-ages" communities, not "age-restricted", but FH is overwhelmingly retirees, and very few kids. CC seems to be appealing to families.

Re taxes, FH is in Craven County, and we though the taxes were very reasonable, like $1600 on a house costing 250-300K. The HOA fee was also reasonable, $80 when we looked 2 years ago.

I don't know the taxes in CC, but the mil rate in Craven County is only $.4728 per hundred, so tax on a $300K house is about $1410, but you should also check for any special area taxes before you buy.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-14-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Re taxes, FH is in Craven County, and we though the taxes were very reasonable, like $1600 on a house costing 250-300K. The HOA fee was also reasonable, $80 when we looked 2 years ago.

I don't know the taxes in Carolina Colours, but the mil rate in Craven County is only $.4728 per hundred, so tax on a $300K house is about $1410, but you should also check for any special area taxes before you buy.
OK, some older posts pointed out that Carolina Colours is within the city limits of New Bern. So we have to add .41 to the mil rate for a .8828 rate. That almost doubles the tax on a $300K house.

FWIW, when we looked at New Bern, we seriously considered waterfront properties in Trent Woods and Riverbend. They pay Craven County taxes, and small fees to the incorporated areas for trash (maybe $800 per year). In addition TW and RB are closer to the town amenities like doctors, hospitals and shopping, so we considered them better areas for retirees than either Fairfield Harbour or Carolina Colours.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 7,560 times
Just received my POA dues bill... $697... for what? Fake security, a closed golf course, and legal bills from the POA being sued. Joy.

Incoorporation will only bring more taxes...police, fire, road maintenance, mayor, planning committe... the worse decision I made 8 years ago was to move here.

Since no one has updated the thread on buying the golf courses, the judge ruled the POA can not legally buy them.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atis View Post
Incoorporation will only bring more taxes...police, fire, road maintenance, mayor, planning committe... the worse decision I made 8 years ago was to move here.
Is incorporation being considered? Would it be only Fairfield Harbour?

On the whole, I'm glad we did not move to FH.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,560 times
It is being talked about...again. It raises questions for those that live at the end of Broad Creek road that are not apart of FairField Harbour or the POA...how would it affect them? Would they legally get drug into the incorporation?

I love my house and my neighbors, if it wasnt for my great neighbors I would have taken a loss and sold the house and moved a few years ago.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM

661 posts, read 722,187 times
I own a lot----an empty lot. And I am being charged the extra $150.00 (for a total of $697.00) for storm clean up even though my lot needed no cleaning or tree/brush removal. The legal fees are insane. It truly is a beautiful place, but we have decided to go somewhere the POA isn't so "active". Another 20 year old community that is beautiful and well run with minimal POA ambitions.(delusions)

Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM

27 posts, read 16,674 times
Angry Fairfield Harbour - The Truth

[SIZE=2]Having read some prior postings on Fairfield Harbour, it would appear that some truth would be helpful to those considering making this their home. Let me quickly add, that New Bern and the general area is a great place to relocate, living is easy, everything you need except the hassle of a larger city. Fairfield Harbour is not part of New Bern, it is about 5 miles out in the county, somewhat isolated. What Fairfield Harbour has to offer is an abundance of water resource for those that are looking for water access at an affordable price. In my opinion, nothing else on the East Coast can compare, especially if you would like a deep-water dock behind your house.

Only one problem and it is a big, big problem. The problem is some of the people who live here and those that control the POA. There is an all out WAR going on now, that escalated to this level about 2 years ago, maybe 30 months ago. In 2011 the POA reports legal expenses charged to dues as just under $200K. The community is more or less frozen in time while the multiple legal battles continue.
So, what is the core problem that has ruined the community? The battle is between two groups, with opposing views of the future of the community and the legal basis for any proposed action. Specifically, the POA and their supporters believe the community is a "democracy". They further believe anything can be voted for implementation using POA Dues with a 50% +1 ballot result. The other side of the battle believes that the legal documents, land sales contracts, state statutes and when necessary the courts decide what our POA Dues may be used to implement. Thus the debate is simply, are we a democracy without the constraints of legal obligations, or are we a community that is obligated to act within the law?

Personally, my wife and I were one of two couples the POA sued for getting in the way of the POA plan to buy a couple of golf courses using dues. The POA was counting on their traditional "out money" any opposition in the legal theater. This time they went after the wrong people. We allowed the POA suit to go to state Superior Court, and we won. The POA decided to appeal to the NC Appeals Court. The POA lost again. The POA next requested and received a Court of Appeals rehearing. The POA lost again. Meanwhile the POA and their supporters were having trouble swallowing their defeats, and committed some acts that are alleged to be unlawful. These actions and others are now the basis of a conspiracy lawsuit by 24 POA members against the POA, et al. I am a plaintiff in this suit. Hopefully we will get to a jury trial by year-end 2012.

So, there is the truth with no spin. Just the facts plain and simple. Fairfield Harbour is a mess, but retains all its natural attractions, if you can just get by the daily animosity of the residents. Also, all of these problems have made for some attractive deals. Just know what you are buying.
[/SIZE]

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 AM

27 posts, read 16,674 times
Default For More News on Fairfield Harbour

There are two excellent sources for objective news and updates about the situation in Fairfield Harbour. Please use these sites for that purpose.

www.fhport.com/ - A resident/property owner web site

www.compassnews360.com/ - A local weekly newpaper web site that reports on Fairfield Harbour.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 AM

PeteDrez-- Thank for the inside story on Fairfield Harbour.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 5,788 times
I just have to wonder why Mr. Drez would post such negative comments about our community. What does he hope to accomplish? He talks about "multiple legal battles" but he is directly responsible for them. He had his lawyer tell the Board they would be sued if they attempted to negotiate the purchase of the amenities and put the purchase to a vote of all property owners. The Board knew a suit would happen after a deal was made and put to a vote. The board just made it happen quicker by going for a declaratory judgment to find outthe answer before wasting time and money on something Mr. Drez was going to sue over. The second suit was brought by Mr. Drez and his fellow dissidents claiming there is a conspiracy involving scores of people including attorneys. That is hurting the community but he apparently doesn't care. Mr. Drez and the 24 represent less than half a percent of the owners in this community. It's no wonder he feels "the daily animosity of the residents." The other 2000 plus residents are enjoying the social life in Fairfield Harbour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina