U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM

720 posts, read 1,485,508 times

Advertisements

Just heard our bid was accepted on a lot in Fairfield Harbour.
We hope to build a small home there to retire to. We want to be near the water and in a better climate. Good medical care is nearby, and we are used to driving a little for shopping.

Also, as positive as our "southern encounters" have been, I decided it would be easier to meet people if we lived among other transplants. The hostility towards Yankees on this board by some people has angered and saddened me. We've already met our future neighbors and it was a positive meeting. I do enjoy new people, but it would be too stressful for me to be snubbed in my new neighborhood because I'm a "Yankee".

Any comments, positive or negative, are welcomed. Recommend any builders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 02:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 7,396,234 times
congratulations poodlecamper! I don't have any recommendations just wanted to congratulate you.

My dh and i are looking to move to the new bern area (new bern, mhc, emerald isle, swansboro, cape carteret is exactly where we are looking) as well except we still have some years to go before we can retire.

i was starting to get a bit turned off myself by all the negative talk about yankees but the one thing i did notice was a lot of locals where from the middle or west part of NC. there are very few people on here from ENC. don't get me wrong, i know there are ENC locals who will not like yankees but the messages i've received personally from other message boards has been very different from here.

good luck with your move.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 PM

20 posts, read 85,615 times
One thing to always keep in mind that on most online forums where anonymity is present, you don't always get the complete unvarnished truth! Frankly I've found wherever I've moved... if you're nice to people, people are nice to you. Also... there are always going to be some people who don't like their neighbors for some reason or another. The new neighbors:

- Don't have enough money
- Have too much money
- Are too loud
- Are too quiet (they must be snobs!)
- etc.

Online forums can be like those 2" x 2" real estate photos... kind of deceiving

Old 05-30-2007, 02:43 PM

844 posts, read 2,677,580 times
Default Congratulations; we are also looking at New Bern

We are looking at the Brices Creek area. Just make sure you read all the covenants and restrictions. Some of those developments have a few weird ones, i.e. You can only put a fence 1/2 way back in your back yard, so if your lot is 100' deep, your fance can only go back 50'; now that's really strange to me.

We were down there a few weeks ago to look around, and the area is realy building up!

Good luck!.....marc

Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,467,470 times
Would love to know more about your experience and the area, poodlecamper! I've sent a PM to you.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:18 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,682,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Just heard our bid was accepted on a lot in Fairfield Harbour.
We hope to build a small home there to retire to. We want to be near the water and in a better climate. Good medical care is nearby, and we are used to driving a little for shopping.

Also, as positive as our "southern encounters" have been, I decided it would be easier to meet people if we lived among other transplants. The hostility towards Yankees on this board by some people has angered and saddened me. We've already met our future neighbors and it was a positive meeting. I do enjoy new people, but it would be too stressful for me to be snubbed in my new neighborhood because I'm a "Yankee".

Any comments, positive or negative, are welcomed. Recommend any builders?
My father lives in Fairfield Harbour and loves it.....well, last I spoke to him. If he can get along with the people there then you should have no problems. (He is origanlly from Ohio and moved to NC by way of NY).

I've been in NC for 4 years now...and really....maybe it's just living near Raleigh....but don't even encounter such issues as are sometimes mentioned on this board. Sure, they do happen....but any internet message board is only going to show the very high points and the very low points.....not the greater amount that is 'in the middle'.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:14 AM

720 posts, read 1,485,508 times
Thanks for all the comments. Desdemona, great to hear your Dad is happy there--I boldly approached people there and asked them if they regretted moving there, about the restrictions, etc. Being from CT, I'm a "fast talker" and very direct---and I feel other northerners "speak the same language", as far as sense of humor, etc. The rules are decent for a HOA,nothing bizarre.
I spoke to the HOA office, and have copies of the rules--very minimal.
Yes, seems like there are some people all over the boards, expressing their negativity. There are a couple of nasty guys on the CT forum who diss every other location in the US---puhleeze!!
Can't wait to get back there---we drive, so it's a long trip,which we won't be making anytime in the near future.
The building going on south of New Bern is amazing.
TTYL

Old 07-12-2007, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 63,841 times
We too bought a lot in Fairfield Harbour and have only had good experiences speaking with the people who live there. There is actually a club for Marylanders (where we're from) and we can't wait to get there. We won't be coming for 1-2 years, but then we will be in the Harbor Pointe II section. Hope to meet you there.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 63,841 times
Forgot a recommendation. Try Gilbert Stroud of Stroud Custom Home Builders. Has a great reputation and was very nice when we had a meeting with him. Think we will probably go with him. He builds a lot of the homes in Fairfield.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:21 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,467,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgirl View Post
We too bought a lot in Fairfield Harbour and have only had good experiences speaking with the people who live there. There is actually a club for Marylanders (where we're from) and we can't wait to get there. We won't be coming for 1-2 years, but then we will be in the Harbor Pointe II section. Hope to meet you there.
Wow, we visited the area after PoodleCamper started this thread, but we have yet to reply. However, we thought the area was nice. Although much of the housing left us unimpressed, the stick buildings on posts (on the coastal flood areas that I usually don't like) are what impressed us most. Nonetheless, the waterfronts are absolutely beautiful. And having a boat there must be a must. Neighbors, especially the guard we chatted with, were pretty nice. A few speeding tailgators we encountered, but maybe that's just NC.

I was wondering, once you buy a lot, are you required to pay the full association and amenities fee? Is it the same for all lots regardless (I think I remember the agent indicating it was not)? I think we would have purchased a lot right away, but did not want to be burdened with monthly fees for something we would not be using for years down the road (though I understand the need).

Also, can you PM me some details about your purchase, Tomgirl? Not that I want to pry in your personal finances, but we saw prices all over the map and they weren't too consistent. It was hard to peg an average price for, say, waterfront to inland.

Lastly, is Harbor Pointe II section the section across the street from the first section they built, or is it another one altogether? The agent also informed us that some lots that were not in a flood plain originally has now, through the decades, become flood plain lots (thus, requiring the need to jump through hoops to get building permits and create the necessity for the those stick built homes on posts).

Thx, Tomgirl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina