U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,083 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]My wife and I live in southern NJ. Like most from Jersey we all seem to think its better somewhere else. We kicked around the whole Florida thing and I am not quite sure thatís our best move. That leads me back to North & South Carolina as a great consideration. We look in Hampstead a little bit in the past. I think that would be a consideration but some of the other threads I read scare the hell out of me. No Jobs, crime, bugs, wicked hot summers, and property values falling rapidly (like everywhere else). On two short visits however, Hampstead seemed really nice. The section of North Wilmington that we drove through seemed like a nice shopping district. We love fishing and the outdoors .Need a safe place to jog. I like to play golf although no good at it. We are used to living in low crime areas (donít lock our cars at night). I will probably look in a house range of $150 to $250 thousand. We looked in Myrtle Beach years ago, but wow did that get over crowded. Also schools are important as we may be on our way to our first kid. Any honest input about Hampstead or any other areas N or S Carolina would be greatly appreciated.[/SIZE]
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 20,457 times
Hey good luck.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM

148 posts, read 544,863 times
Hampstead is nice, but would recommend you look at Cape Carteret as a home because the schools are fantastic...Jogging?, jog in safety and live in a quiet area with a town library, town fishing pier, gym, everything you may need...plenty of affordable homes....

Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM

70 posts, read 158,016 times
I think Hampstead is great but too far for Wilmington shopping for me:-)

Old 02-20-2010, 07:18 AM

11 posts, read 20,457 times
Shopping did not seem that far. Hampstead didnt seem to have many stores , but they have a supermarket. I have looked at Hampstead for relocation several times.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,112,954 times
I hear that the Hampstead (Topsail) school system is pretty good. There are certainly houses available in your price range. Crime isn't much of a problem in Hampstead.

There's not a lot to do in the area besides fishing, golfing, and the beach. Personally, I've gotten awfully sick of Wilmington and seldom go there anymore, but if you want to do any serious shopping that's where you go.

A few miles north of Hampstead on the way to Surf City, there's a Lowe's Home Improvement store, and a new Harris Teeter grocery store is being built. It is scheduled to open next fall.

What I dislike about the whole Wilmington/Hampstead/Sneads Ferry area is the lack of public access to the Intracoastal waterway. Towns like Beaufort and Southport have nice open and public waterfronts along the ICW. But the whole stretch of soundside coastline from Wilmington north to Sneads Ferry has absolutely no public parks, town greens, or even a scenic spot where you can stop and take in the view. All of the waterfront property is privately owned and/or for sale. The exception is one spot I can think of in Holly Ridge where I launched my canoe a few years back. And there's Soundside Park in Surf City, but I'm not counting that because it's on the barrier island on the other side of the ICW.

There is a public boat ramp planned for the Sloop Point area in Hampstead--I don't know when it will be open, though.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:55 PM

291 posts, read 746,139 times
Default Hampstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AMC View Post
[SIZE=3]My wife and I live in southern NJ. Like most from Jersey we all seem to think its better somewhere else. We kicked around the whole Florida thing and I am not quite sure thatís our best move. That leads me back to North & South Carolina as a great consideration. We look in Hampstead a little bit in the past. I think that would be a consideration but some of the other threads I read scare the hell out of me. No Jobs, crime, bugs, wicked hot summers, and property values falling rapidly (like everywhere else). On two short visits however, Hampstead seemed really nice. The section of North Wilmington that we drove through seemed like a nice shopping district. We love fishing and the outdoors .Need a safe place to jog. I like to play golf although no good at it. We are used to living in low crime areas (donít lock our cars at night). I will probably look in a house range of $150 to $250 thousand. We looked in Myrtle Beach years ago, but wow did that get over crowded. Also schools are important as we may be on our way to our first kid. Any honest input about Hampstead or any other areas N or S Carolina would be greatly appreciated.[/SIZE]

Gee - I hope none of those post that scared you so badly were mine! We live in Hampstead and love it. The beaches on Topsail Island are beautiful. Won't lie to you - summers are hot and humid and there are definitely bugs everywhere in the south. But the beach is wonderful in the summer - water is warm and you can really enjoy it. You have four golf courses here- Olde Point, Belvedere, Topsail Greens & Castle Bay - I'm not a golfer so can't vouch for them, but I think even though two of them are "clubs" that they are open to the public for a fee for golfing. I see a lot of folks out jogging when I ride my bike in the mornings. Schools here seem to be good and young people are attracted to the area for them - there is a nice Kiwanis Park for children also. Crime seems to be a non issue in our area - although one goofy person on the boards tried to make it one. It is hard to find any statistics for Hampstead since we are unincorporated and all the stats take in all of Pender County which makes it a whole different ball game. We try to shop in Pender when we can - but it is not a big deal to drive 20-25 minutes to Mayfaire for shopping we can't do here, plus with online shopping, anything you want or need can come right to your front door! I would be sure of a job before you try to move - I think the job market is right tough from what we read and hear. Good luck in your search for a new home!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,083 times
Thanks for all your responses. Just got back from SW Florida to make sure that was or was not a consideration. Although the Gulf of Mexico is beautiful I think that North or South Carolina is more our speed. I liked Hampstead because of the fact it did not seem so developed in most areas, temps seem to stay mild in the winter and it is not to far from most things. How far is the Beach driving distance? The lack of public access to the Intracoastal Waterway is great information I really appreciate that note. MTNester said ďsummers are hot and humid and there are definitely bugs everywhere in the southĒ!! MTNester thanks for the honesty. All of your posts are what people considering an area need. Especially the honest truth. Steven McCurdy said Cape Carteret was great, any other opinion on surrounding areas? The honest truth is I like anyone else is looking to move to a low crime, enjoyable place to live. I unfortunately have to say I donít think SW Florida is it, but I would love for North Carolina or South Carolina to fit the bill. One other question. Does traffic get ridiculous in the summer? I live in the southern most part of New Jersey right now. The summer comes and so do the people. Its not that I mind people but completely shuts you down from enjoying the key reason we live here (the Shore). Not to mention the fact that ďNorthernsĒ can be a little pushy and always in a rush. They come here to relax and all they do is rush around and seem aggravated (wonderful vacation huh).

Old 02-28-2010, 05:38 PM

148 posts, read 544,863 times
The summer brings alot of peorplr to Emerald Isle, and the surrounding areas, but that is good for the local economy....Cape Carteret can handle it, the cops are FANTASTIC..

The schools are great, we have numerous little parks on the water, a great boat ramp, the local fireworks at the end of Lejeune street are great....locals having fun...

Hopefully we will get bike paths or sidewalks all the way from Star Hill to Lowes...that is what we need...connect the town....

I love it here, and proud to call it my hometown...

Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 PM

291 posts, read 746,139 times
Cape Carteret is a lovely little town and Emerald Isle is beautiful - because of that, it does seem to me to be a bit more crowded with more traffic in the summer. Topsail Island is also more crowded in the summer, but it is not a problem for the most part - you learn not to go to Surf City right when the bridge is opening for boat traffic. We love Cape Carteret because our kids & grandkids live up there and we love Hampstead because it is our hometown and we appreciate the close access to Wilmington. I think both areas are great - you just need to come and look and see which one suits you and your family. Today was lovely here - a bit chilly, but the sun was shining - we worked in the garden for quite awhile. Steve Mc - ifyou get bike paths & sidewalks all the way from Star Hill to Lowe's that would be awesome! I think that the lack of both of these is my main "beef" with all the towns here - we all need that connectivity and pedestrian/bike access!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina