U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 7,489 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to the Wilmington area from NY. Neither of us know much about the area, so I'm hoping to get some information here. If anyone can answer any of these question, it would be greatly appreciated

-What are good communities to live in? (We're in our mid/late 20's)
-Are hurricanes are huge problem for that entire area, or is it more localized to the coast?
-I am a teacher and he is a Financial Analyst...job situation there?
-Is the population age diverse?
-Crime and Traffic? We are coming from a NYC suburb, work in the city...can we handle it haha

I think that's it. Any other advice/suggestions/thoughts would be awesome! We're looking to move within the next couple of months.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 AM

11 posts, read 27,086 times
Where are you in NY? We too are condifering moving there...but we are currently in upstate NY. WOuld love to chat and compare notes

Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 AM

610 posts, read 2,765,147 times
I hate to ruin your parade, but don't come down here unless you have a job lined up. Wilmington is not the kind of town where you just show and then a week later you are working. Most of the jobs around here revolve around low wage retail occupations anyway.

Since you are a teacher, you will probably be able to find a job, but then again, I wouldn't count on it.

Your husband will definitely have a hard time finding a job. There is very little industry in Wilmington and most of the good jobs are hard to come by and the competition is fierce.

PLEASE HAVE A JOB LINED UP BEFORE YOU MOVE TO WILMINGTON! Unless you want to work some dead-end job that pays minimum wage.

Don't come down here and then complain you can't find a job. You have been warned!

STEER CLEAR OF WILMINGTON!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
I hate to ruin your parade, but don't come down here unless you have a job lined up. Wilmington is not the kind of town where you just show and then a week later you are working. Most of the jobs around here revolve around low wage retail occupations anyway.

Since you are a teacher, you will probably be able to find a job, but then again, I wouldn't count on it.

Your husband will definitely have a hard time finding a job. There is very little industry in Wilmington and most of the good jobs are hard to come by and the competition is fierce.

PLEASE HAVE A JOB LINED UP BEFORE YOU MOVE TO WILMINGTON! Unless you want to work some dead-end job that pays minimum wage.

Don't come down here and then complain you can't find a job. You have been warned!

STEER CLEAR OF WILMINGTON!
Right...we were not planning on leaving here unless we had a job. That would just be silly. He has applied to a number of places so we'll see what happnes. We really are more just trying to get a feel of the area from people who are already down there. My parents recently bought a house in Southport, so I have been down there a couple times and love it, and have my whole life. Thanks for the heads up though!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,344,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magucm75 View Post
Right...we were not planning on leaving here unless we had a job. That would just be silly. He has applied to a number of places so we'll see what happnes. We really are more just trying to get a feel of the area from people who are already down there. My parents recently bought a house in Southport, so I have been down there a couple times and love it, and have my whole life. Thanks for the heads up though!

I would recommend

A) do not take heeha seriously. he is right about one thing -- there are very few well-paying jobs, but that is no reason to steer clear of wilmington. move here with the mindset that you've moving to a resort/tourist economy during a deep recession, and you will do fine.

B) search the forum for the answer to your general questions. more specific questions might get better answers.

C) lose the attitude that "Since I have lived in New York, therefore crime, traffic, et cetera are no issue for me." this is a common perspective from folks who move from DC or NYC, and it makes it sound like you think you are bigger / badder / tougher / better than everybody else, simply because you've lived in NYC. regardless of whether it is true (NYC has very low crime) that attitude will not be taken well, just a heads up. your typical small town in eastern NC/SC resembles a few derelict blocks of Newark or Camden, NJ, if that's any point of reference for you.

Last edited by le roi; 02-25-2010 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

C) lose the attitude that "Since I have lived in New York, therefore crime, traffic, et cetera are no issue for me." this perspective makes it sound like you think you are bigger / badder / tougher / better than everybody else, simply because you've lived in NYC. regardless of whether it is true (NYC has very low crime) that attitude will not be taken well, just a heads up. your typical small town in eastern NC/SC resembles a few derelict blocks of Newark or Camden, NJ, if that's any point of reference for you.
Thanks for your response. I'm sorry that you got the impression by my statement "Can we handle it haha" that I meant we're better because we're from NYC. What I meant was, what is the compairison of NYC's traffic and crime to that of Wilmington. I'm familiar with Newark and Camden, so thank you for that compairison.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 AM

no problem, i didn't mean to come off harsh, and in retrospect i am addressing more people than just you.

also, wilmington itself does not resemble newark or camden. parts of downtown have crime problems -- i just feel compelled to point out that in general, the deep south (rural or urban) typically has higher violent crime rates than big cities up north. if you move around mayfaire or wrightsville beach, violent crime is basically nonexistent. there's no way to logically compare traffic between a metro of 300,000 people and a metro of 19,000,000 people, although that doesn't stop people from trying.

for the most part we are a city of surviving entrepreneur-type working class locals, transplant yuppies, retired military, students who didn't get into top schools, tourists, surfer/beach bum/lumpenproletariat, and a solid portion of counter-culture types downtown, along with a fairly large black community downtown. pretty diverse considering our size, i'd say.. but if you expect high culture and a super-educated population, you will be disappointed. wilmington itself is unique, and draws interesting people, but for the most part is surrounded by a huge rural, cultural backwater for at least 100 miles in each direction.

Last edited by le roi; 02-25-2010 at 11:59 AM..

Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM

610 posts, read 2,765,147 times
le roi:

Why are you going to tell that lady to consider Wilmington even though there are no well paying jobs? That sounds like you are setting someone up for failure. You can't make a living in Wilmington making 8, 9, and 10 dollars an hour unless you are receiving welfare.

After talking to some of the natives of Wilmington, it seems like low paying retail work has been the centerpiece of Wilmington's job market. Wilmington will never have any jobs or good paying jobs, period.

Luckily I have a decent amount of money saved or I would be sitting on the streets. I have never been to a town where the job market has been so sour, even for "BS" jobs.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
le roi:

Why are you going to tell that lady to consider Wilmington even though there are no well paying jobs?
There are well-paying jobs in Wilmington. I have one of them, and other people do too. There just aren't very many of them, and most of them are filled already.

I'd make way more in Charlotte or Raleigh, but here I am. It is a better place to live.

Quote:
That sounds like you are setting someone up for failure. You can't make a living in Wilmington making 8, 9, and 10 dollars an hour unless you are receiving welfare.
I'm not setting anyone up for anything.

People set themselves up by the occupation they choose, the skills they build, the education they recieve thoughout elementary, middle, high school, and beyond, as well as their work ethic and the social skills and connections they build throughout adolescence, as well as the geographic location they choose in relation to the available jobs. I hear South Dakota has jobs, maybe you should move there?

It isn't impossible to live in Wilmington on $10/hr, but it won't be pretty. But believe it or not, not everyone who lives in Wilmington makes $10/hr.

Quote:
After talking to some of the natives of Wilmington, it seems like low paying retail work has been the centerpiece of Wilmington's job market.
Yep. Local Wilmingtonians form a tight network of entrepreneurs and locally grown employees of those businesses. That is a tough nut to crack if you want "in", which I am not, btw.

Local Wilmingtonians are about as common as the California condor, by the way.

Quote:
Wilmington will never have any jobs or good paying jobs, period.
Obviously a ridiculous statement. The liquor man made $250k/year, that's one down. Head of UNCW makes 6-figures, that's 2 down.

Quote:
Luckily I have a decent amount of money saved or I would be sitting on the streets. I have never been to a town where the job market has been so sour, even for "BS" jobs.
Listen, I'm not trying to marginalize your bad experiences. I am sure it is rough out there, and I understand that it is extremely frustrating to be involuntarily unemployed. Even in a solid economy, I strongly recommended that people not move to Wilmington without a job offer in hand. So if you moved here without a job, you didn't exactly follow my advice. If you had one and lost it, then my sympathies go out to you, but that is the risk you take moving to a small market like this one. God forbid I lose my job, I won't even pretend to stick around. I know there's no hope of finding another one in my field.

Last edited by le roi; 02-26-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 02-27-2010, 11:12 AM

17 posts, read 45,371 times
-What are good communities to live in? (We're in our mid/late 20's)
-Are hurricanes are huge problem for that entire area, or is it more localized to the coast?
-I am a teacher and he is a Financial Analyst...job situation there?
-Is the population age diverse?
-Crime and Traffic?
Reading the thread I was a little disappointed in the posts and would like to assist you.

Hurricane season? We are on the ocean. Yes, if we are in the path.

When I got here I was told there were so many cut backs in the school district that I need not apply (from the district office). NHCS is one of the largest employers here so APPLY. Good luck! You are at a great age to start your teaching career in a new area. I think you will be fine. nchs.k12.nc.us is our school district. There are a handful of private schools around. Mostly primary and 2 or 3 secondary. pretty much all of them, public and private have full classrooms and turn away kids for 'class full.'

There is a diverse population which we love. Our first night we got in at 1AM and drove straight to the beach just because we could. It was bustling with activity that appeared to be your age group (also my eldest child ...). About the diversity. It is more than age. With UNCW here you will have the college agers and those who love it and stay for the "Salt Life" of New Hanover County. The HS my 2 youngest attend is about 50/50 white/black. The kids are thriving there and have no social issues. I volunteer at an organization that is charitable and serves those in need. This part of the population comes from New Hanover and the surrounding areas (served nearly 10,000 in 2009). That is a large % if you look at the current reported population of this area and surrounding areas combined. That takes us to the job market. Do you think nearly 10% of the population needing basic necessities is a strong economic upturn? These people come for food, clothing, household items, anything they need that we have we gladly give them. This is a free charitable service. OH! and about our population, my favorite thing about living here is everyone has a real honest "Live and Let Live" attitude. I really find that awesome after living in super suburbia most of my life. My 2 teens love it as well. That does remind me of NY as well (where I was raised). Where else can you go to the grocery store in sweats and a full-mink and no one even notices?

Job Market:
Moved here for my hubby's job consequently lost mine. The reason I lost mine is because even though my company agreed to my transfer, the market here would not support it. Job over 4 months later. Yes, I do struggle with this. I loved my job. It is increasingly difficult to find a good job in many areas however every person I have met that has lived here for any length of time just shakes their head and says, "You just can't move here to find a job." So that said, Please listen to the previous post. (It is expensive to live here in other ways than what you are accustomed to coming from NY). The average job is average and $8 an hour is typical. If you can live meagerly, no worries. I wouldn't want to insult anyone reading this who has no problem with that lifestyle. I have friends who opened an awesome franchise eatery and they are struggling as well. It is a hard area for work unless you transfer here with a corporate type salaried job. The competition for jobs with higher ed degrees is very tough here. I know of 9 people personally with MBAs who cannot find a job. I know of 3 other people, (one with a double masters) who are all working entry level positions; $40k-$50k yr. So at least you now have a real living experience explained. I hope it helps. I do want you to succeed if you make this move.

You may find a nice house for $400k but the actual living expenses are high. Where NY always seems to have a free concert, festival or activity, you pay for everything in Wilmington. There are public parks both city and county that are nicely maintained and have free tennis courts and walking trails. Also, as a teacher in NY you are accustomed to the school district providing everything. My sis-in-law who teaches in NY was appalled at how much I have paid over the years for just school supplies and what they ask us to bring in. It is very much pay as you go on a lot of stuff. It is typical for me to spend $200 at the start of the year (where we just came from, also in NC). That is for 2 HSers. E v e r y thing they do we pay for. It keeps taxes low, I guess. I don't mind but not everyone can afford it and it gets sad for the families who are just getting by. It is hard on the teachers because a lot of them just go and buy supplies out of their own money. That is first hand knowledge. Just know it; it isn't a thing either way, but if you haven't worked in a school in NC, you would never expect that coming from NY. Not to misrepresent, I do think that the HS here in Wilmington was the lowest I paid for supplies. Half of Union Co or Meck Co schools that we've lived in. So this year, I didn't spend the usual; $80 maybe. That included classroom donations of hand sanitizer, tissues and dry erase markers for the teacher.

Living in Wilmington:
1-Historic District for on the river and village like (similar to L.I. feel)
2-Mayfaire Area for great access to Wrightsville Beach (definite P.U.D.)

We came to our own conclusion after living here that although we like the downtown-historic-village feel, it is easier to get there than Wrightsville Beach. SO, we chose to live as close to their as affordable.

There are many nice places to live in and around Wilmington. The two above are just the two areas that most people think of for activity. Downtown is just so much fun but so is the ocean.

Crime: google crime in wilmington, nc and make your own assessment. There is a website that has real time reporting and maps with dates and type of crime so you will have a very good idea what works for you in that department.

Traffic: this is the funniest. It is so relative to what you are accustomed to but when you get here you will certainly have your opinion of it. Everyone does. Here is mine although I don't know how helpful to you. I drive 6 miles to the high school twice a day .. and then 7.5 miles to church 3-4 times a week. It can take anywhere from 12-20 minutes. Really. It seems like no one can do the speed limit, haha. Honestly the speed limit is 45 on Eastwood and most days I am lucky to break 37 between the rubber neckers and the mopeds and who knows what else keeps the speed limit down. Then Market is 40mph and I am lucky if I break 30 on most days. But, when Market drops down to 35mph everyone decides to speed up to 40. (?) It is annoying to me but I am learning to just deal with it and spend way too much time driving from place to place. I think that is why Mayfaire appeals to me. I can walk to Harris Teeter faster than I can drive and park to get there. SO this is the funny part of my post to you. I hope you are laughing! It is just absurd.

I do hope that my experience and observations are helpful to you and prepare you well for this relocation and new journey. Blessings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina