U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 58,999 times

Advertisements

Is it worth visiting Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach for the day? Anything in particular to see? I need a break from studying and miss the water (I grew up on the ocean.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 03:56 PM

135 posts, read 569,991 times
This time of year there's not many people around Wrightsville, and a lot of the businesses are closed. If you decide to go you could always mosey along the pier (for a fee) and watch the people fish off of it. Wilmington has a lot more, plenty of places to eat, shop, and drink. There's the battleship museum and the cape fear museum to check out as well.

IMHO if you're looking for a day trip, the best one in the area is Bald Head. Take a ferry out and bike around the island, there's lots of interesting places and lots of beach. the people are nice too. I would pack a lunch though as things are more expensive over there. You'll pay about 25$ for the ferry round trip and parking. If you rent a bike over there it'll probably be about the same. If you want a cheaper (but more physically draining) experience you might try biking down the beach to bald head from Fort Fisher, it's connected by shoals, but it's a few miles, not sure on the distance since i've not done it myself. Southport, where you can pick up the ferry, is a pretty nice little town for itself as well.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 11,984 times
It's rather cold still to really do anything involving the beach...

There are some attractions worth checking in Wilmington...Cape Fear Museum, Serpentarium (very interesting), Railroad Museum, the little zoo at Monkey Junction, the Battleship, a dinner cruise on the Henrietta III, all the shops downtown, the Riverwalk, the historic tours on the horse and buggy rides, Thalian Hall and other theaters, the many, many restaurants and bars...

Just ideas.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:29 AM

6 posts, read 11,984 times
And I forgot to mention the North Carolina Aquarium and Fort Fisher if you want to drive out to Kure Beach.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:27 PM

11 posts, read 26,762 times
I spent Labor Day weekend there. Blue Water Grill is a great restaurant in Wrightsville. It's not difficult to find and it has a wonderful atmosphere and food.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,240,462 times
best place to eat out towards wrightsville - at any price - is a joint called "Sweet and Savory Cafe". Tower Seven is also very good. If you go downtown, the Basics is the best place to eat.

stuff to do? rent a kayak. go surfing. sit on the beach, or go swimming. (water warms up by mid-June). From November to June, when the water is cooler, it is probably more fun to go wander through downtown. Honestly, Wilmington is not the most exciting vacation spot, if you aren't drinking, eating, or on the water. A day or two should be plenty of time.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,433,924 times
Do any seafood places here serve fried clams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina