Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times

Advertisements

Thursday Gov. Mike Easley announced that Ocracoke Beach on Ocracoke Island has been named the No. 1 beach on “Dr. Beach’s Annual America’s Best Beaches” list of 2007. The announcement marks the first time a beach outside Florida or Hawaii has been named to the top position on this celebrated top10 list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,850 times
Smile Ocracoke deserves the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Thursday Gov. Mike Easley announced that Ocracoke Beach on Ocracoke Island has been named the No. 1 beach on “Dr. Beach’s Annual America’s Best Beaches” list of 2007. The announcement marks the first time a beach outside Florida or Hawaii has been named to the top position on this celebrated top10 list.
This is a well deserved honor. It is about time Ocracoke got number one. I spent a lot of the summer of 1969 camping on Ocracoke Island. I was in college then and can still remember checking into the only motel on the island so I could watch Neil Armstrong take the first step on the moon.

The beaches were great then, and now they are getting some recognition. We don't have to worry about too many tourists spoiling the place since the town is pretty much at capacity already, and Ocracoke isn't exactly the easiest place to reach.

We last visited in the summer of 2004 when we drove down from Nags Head after staying at the First Colony Inn.

The Ocracoke beaches were then rated third in the world.

Here are some pictures from that trip to Ocracoke in 2004.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 AM

57 posts, read 247,608 times
I agree that it deserves the title, but I hope this doesn't ruin what makes Ocracoke special.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 AM

362 posts, read 995,191 times
It is definately beautiful there. We usually vacation around Waves or Salvo but always take the ferry over for a day. Love it there.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post
It is definately beautiful there. We usually vacation around Waves or Salvo but always take the ferry over for a day. Love it there.
Oh No another number one ranking. Its like a turkey call, all the turkeys will show up and over develope it.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,618 times
I remember when I was a boy, Ocracoake was as isolated as Africa to us then. Heck anything on the OB required safari level planning for a few days stay. There was one cop on the whole OB. I tried then to imagine it in Blackbeard's day and couldn't do it. It is a wonderful area and deserves it's spot at #1.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
The CNN news report - Ocracoke Island tops best beaches list - CNN.com (broken link)

Old 06-08-2007, 09:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
I remember when I was a boy, Ocracoake was as isolated as Africa to us then. Heck anything on the OB required safari level planning for a few days stay. There was one cop on the whole OB. I tried then to imagine it in Blackbeard's day and couldn't do it. It is a wonderful area and deserves it's spot at #1.

LOL I did that in may try to imagine when any european sail over in their wooden ship to the outer banks

I bet that was just cussing away when they wrecked in diamond shoals then if I made it to any of the islands and didnt know that it was a island and walk across and saw the sound I would have thought oh great more atlantic ocean and turn around and head back lol I would have never made it to the inland. hehe

Old 06-09-2007, 04:53 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Smile more about Ocracoke

If you'd like to read more about Ocracoke (and Beaufort--the Little Easy) below are two links to travel articles I wrote about Ocracoke and Beaufort for a web site called www.exinthecity (broken link) for the newly divorced.

Ocracoke and Beaufort are two dear places where time moves differently---more slowly and with more hours. People are kind here. Good places to reinvent yourself. Come in the fall in October and November for stillness and uncrowded beaches...

Ocracoke Island Vacation - Ocracoke Island Trip - Ocracoke Island City Guide - Exinthecity (http://www.exinthecity.com/guides/ocracokeisland1.html - broken link)

Beaufort Vacation - Beaufort Trip - North Carolina - Exinthecity (http://www.exinthecity.com/guides/beaufort1.html - broken link)

Enjoy...LittleDolphin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina