Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,309,817 times

Advertisements

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR ALL NORTH CAROLINA BEACHES
Oh If my Pookie (sweetheart) didnt give me the best week
at Carolina Beach last week I would be mad so I am
going to vent here.

Control your kids please.

Sand dunes and life guard stands are not
play pins they have a purpose.
All you need is your kid to fall or twist his leg or arm.

If I wasnt in mood that it was all about kids I would have been mad
watching kids climb up & down lifeguard stands .

I saw two kids climbing a sand dune like it a sand castle.
Sand dunes are a resting spot, nesting spot for birds.
Respect their home.
you dont need this sign

just admire the dunes
this is a creature that God has created home RESPECT IT.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,826,464 times
Well Sunny apparently the signs are needed followed by severe electrical shocks to drive the concepts home.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well Sunny apparently the signs are needed followed by severe electrical shocks to drive the concepts home.
Im game for that but not to the kids but the parents.
Every parent should get their kid this book not just boys
Stand Up, Shake Hands, Say "How Do You Do"

I went to North Carolina Maritime Museum and one of the workers
stated that the Logger Head Turtle that is about extinct but is trying
to make a comeback but cant because it keeps suffocating
due to plastic bags.
I was in the aquarium of Fort Fisher standing in line of this
penny maker machine this boy breaks inline to get to the machine
first and 5 minutes later after the boy started to make his
souvenir penny the mom comes over and says
"im sorry did he break in line". uurgh

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-27-2010 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,011,330 times
Sunny-Thanks for helping to keep the beaches clean. Sometimes the "I'm on holiday" mentality sets in and people do on vacation what they would never do at home.
By the way-a plastic bag in the water looks like jellyfish, a favorite food for a sea turtle.
Bill

Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,677,903 times
My dogs are smarter and more well behaved on the beach than most children and all drunks.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,203,097 times
I suspect that it's not just children who misbehave on the beach. All of those cigarette butts left in the sand are tossed there by adults. Smokers seem to think that the beach is their ashtray. Unfortunately, I think that people who don't care enough about their own health to quit smoking are not going to care very much if a sea turtle chokes on their discarded cigarette butts.

When tourist season kicks into high gear in a few weeks, my husband and I bring plastic bags to the beach and clean up the area around the beach access that we use. Beer cans, plastic water bottles, plastic bags, cigarette butts, dirty diapers, empty sunscreen containers, fishing line, discarded fishhook packaging, discarded bait containers, styrofoam cups, etc. All of this stuff will end up in the ocean if it's not picked up.

It's very discouraging to me that people are such slobs. What is so hard about picking up after yourself on a beach where trashcans are provided? Honestly, I have never littered in my life, except for the occasional biodegradable apple core or banana peel.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 AM

2,692 posts, read 3,384,310 times
Ellise, looking at your list it appears that big offenders
are the fishermen, they very ones who loves to be out in nature.

we have a stretch of beach here only accecsible by 4-wheel trucks
no garbage cans are provided and it is the cleanest part of the beach.
the only cans there are for the fishermen to dump their string in.

I don't have a difficult time with picking up after my dogs
in parks, on walks and so forth but
have you guys ever thought how ironic to put something biodegradeable
into a plastic bag to be burried in the ground for a million years?

very frustrating that people don't take better care of mother earth.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,745,709 times
Quote:
I was in the aquarium of Fort Fisher standing in line of this penny maker machine this boy breaks inline to get to the machine first and 5 minutes later after the boy started to make his souvenir penny the mom comes over and says "im sorry did he break in line". uurgh
Hey, at least she apologized for him. Even that is rare these days when parents expect unadulterated adoration of their kids no matter how "rambunctious" they are being at any given time.

Quote:
my husband and I bring plastic bags to the beach and clean up the area around the beach access that we use. Beer cans, plastic water bottles, plastic bags, cigarette butts, dirty diapers
Leaving a DIRTY DIAPER out for someone else to have to deal with should be a felony. Ewwwwww......

Old 05-01-2010, 09:00 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,203,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Ellise, looking at your list it appears that big offenders
are the fishermen, they very ones who loves to be out in nature.

we have a stretch of beach here only accecsible by 4-wheel trucks
no garbage cans are provided and it is the cleanest part of the beach.
the only cans there are for the fishermen to dump their string in.

I don't have a difficult time with picking up after my dogs
in parks, on walks and so forth but
have you guys ever thought how ironic to put something biodegradeable
into a plastic bag to be burried in the ground for a million years?

very frustrating that people don't take better care of mother earth.

I agree, it is strange to make such a fuss about cleaning up after dogs. The rain and weather would take care of their mess in a short time. Meanwhile, the beach is strewn with non-biodegradable crap that washes into the ocean. Hell, it's not just the beach that's strewn with non-biodegradable crap, it's the whole planet.

As far as fishermen go, some of them may clean up after themselves, but many don't. I remember the first fall I lived here, seeing hundreds of fishermen lined up on the beach as far as the eye could see in either direction, and along with them all sorts of cigarette butts and trash.

Once years ago, I saw a seagull that had gotten one of its legs tangled in fishing line (more nonbiodegradable crap). The line was tightly wrapped around the birds leg, and the bird had no way of removing it. I couldn't catch the bird to remove the fishing line, obviously, there was nothing I could do. The bird was doomed to lose its foot.

When I lived up north, the river that we used to canoe on was also a favorite spot for fishermen. The trees along the riverbanks all had nylon fishing line tangled in their branches, often with dangling hooks, bobbins and lead sinkers. The banks of the river were often strewn with empty fishhook packaging, cigarette butts and dead fish.

I was out in the surf a couple of years ago, and got a fishhook stuck in my big toe. It was a new looking hook that had been cut--there was no eye at the top of it, just straight wire. This required a trip to the urgent care to have it removed.

Obviously, I'm not fond of fishermen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina