Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:18 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times

Advertisements

So, in Florida I lived 15 minutes from the Gulf and used to go every Sunday for sunset. I'm starting to have a major reaction to being landlocked.

I know I can't take a quick trip to the beach just for sunset, but can you tell me which beach would be good for a weekend trip of just me and the dog (dog to stay in motel room) - not a majorly crowded beach with high rise condos all over, maybe one with just beachfront houses or relatively undeveloped? And where I won't have people sitting two feet next to me?

My fave beach in the universe is Pass A Grille in Florida - where there are just historic homes and one little snack bar on the beach (and some stores/restaurants a block over) - and it's not crowded at all except for holidays.

Thanks! I will drive up to 4 hours! NEED BEACH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 06:15 AM

709 posts, read 935,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
So, in Florida I lived 15 minutes from the Gulf and used to go every Sunday for sunset. I'm starting to have a major reaction to being landlocked.

I know I can't take a quick trip to the beach just for sunset, but can you tell me which beach would be good for a weekend trip of just me and the dog (dog to stay in motel room) - not a majorly crowded beach with high rise condos all over, maybe one with just beachfront houses or relatively undeveloped? And where I won't have people sitting two feet next to me?

My fave beach in the universe is Pass A Grille in Florida - where there are just historic homes and one little snack bar on the beach (and some stores/restaurants a block over) - and it's not crowded at all except for holidays.

We spend time at Ocean Isle Beach south of wilmington. About 2.5 hours from Raleigh. I know what you feel like about being landlocked, I lived 30 mins from Belmar NJ for almost 40 years and could run down even after work all times of the year. Now being 160 miles to the coast does stink.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 AM

75 posts, read 413,926 times
We went to Kure Beach yesterday; it wasn't too crowded -- meets your descriptions. There are some small motels (and a couple of 6 +/- story hotels nearby). A lot of people talk about the outer banks; this was our first trip to the beach since moving here a few weeks ago and we loved it. Wrightsville is supposedly more crowded (since it's one of the closest ones to Raleigh). Kure beach is about 30 mins past Wrightsville (I've heard)...and completely easy to get to. It's right next to the aquarium -- Fort Fisher, I think. Have fun and please share if you find any other fun beaches!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:35 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:

Spend the four hours and add 30 minutes. Go to Avon on Hatteras Island.
Uncrowded, wide beach. No high rises. A few mom and pop motels, and some cottages that offer weekend rentals, mainly off season.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:51 AM

56 posts, read 333,544 times
Default beach guide

North Carolina Beaches, 3rd Ed. (North Carolina Beaches) by Glenn Morris

Fabulous reference to help find the beach that best fits your personality and needs. We used the 1st Ed. again and again when we first started coming to NC over 13 years ago.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:04 AM

449 posts, read 1,126,198 times
I can relate to missing the beach also!! We lived less than 10 min from the beach in florida (so expensive though). Next week we are going to Cape Hatteras, haven't been there since I was around 12! We used to take family vacations there and drive down from NY, I hope it's as nice as I remember it being. Can't wait! I read that Ocracoke was rated #1 in the country on another thread-not sure where that is in relation to Hatteras. Think I'm looking at a 2hr drive

Old 06-10-2007, 09:16 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,423 times
Quote:

We just got back from a weekend trip to the beach with our dog. We choose the Wilmington area since it's interstate all the way - took about 2 hrs 30 minutes leaving at "rush hour" on Friday. I use scare quotes around rush hour because I still don't believe Raleigh's rush hour is much to complain about.

The only beach in the Wilmington area that allows dogs during peak season is Fort Fisher (~20min from downtown Wilmington). So you won't be able to take them on Wrightsville, Kure, or Carolina. But Fort Fisher beach is great - see pictures below.

Dog at Fort Fisher

Port City Guest House

We stayed at the Port City Guest house in Wilmington. They accept dogs - the owner has one. We'd highly recommend it. It's priced so competitively compared to the motels (when you add pet fee)- it's almost a no brainer.

Port City Guest House

Old 06-10-2007, 04:00 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Thanks all! Esp. for the photos. My dog is my own personal little old lady so she has no interest in the beach, but I don't like to board her anymore if possible. She can sleep in air conditioning

Old 06-10-2007, 05:58 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Your Westie is soooo cute! Thanks for the info, we have dogs too. Are there any weight restrictions?

Old 06-10-2007, 06:31 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Your Westie is soooo cute! Thanks for the info, we have dogs too. Are there any weight restrictions?
Thanks - she's a good dog.

I'm not sure if there is a weight restriction at the B&B or not. Nori, the Westie, only weighs 14 pounds. So we never really ask, we just assume she's below any limit. Jake, the B&B owner's dog, is about twice as big as Nori. I'd venture to guess they're fine up to at least that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina