Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:37 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,225 times

Advertisements

We're still trying to decide if we want to retire to NC next year, and haven't seen any posts on the Shallotte/Calabash area lately.

Been following this forum for a while now, and see numerous posts on the New Bern/Carteret area, but very few on the Shallotte/Calabash area.

Would like to hear from folks living in the Shallotte/Calabash area, especially the benefits and drawbacks. The thing we see is it's half way between Willimington and Myrtle Beach, so plenty to do in retirement.

Thank you,.....marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 AM

197 posts, read 957,941 times
you should search this forum for those terms. there is plenty info. out there on the area from the past couple of years, as for specific developments, you need to research closely if you are looking at one that is fairly new. brunswick county development has slowed down to a crawl, if that. there are many foreclosures and many developments that never got going, some developers are being sued b/c they didn't/couldn't follow through with utilities/amenities.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
We're still trying to decide if we want to retire to NC next year, and haven't seen any posts on the Shallotte/Calabash area lately.

Been following this forum for a while now, and see numerous posts on the New Bern/Carteret area, but very few on the Shallotte/Calabash area.

Would like to hear from folks living in the Shallotte/Calabash area, especially the benefits and drawbacks. The thing we see is it's half way between Willimington and Myrtle Beach, so plenty to do in retirement.
It's actually closer to Myrtle Beach, so may be talked about some in the SC forum.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:13 PM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
I'll repeat what I posted a while ago. For the 8 years I had been coming to Calbash, and for the 2 years I have lived here everyone I have met has said, "I wish I could, shoulda, woulda, moved here sooner.

I love it.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 AM

204 posts, read 845,820 times
We looked at Brunswick Plantation in Calabash a couple of weeks ago and loved what we saw. So far it's on the top of our list. Also really liked Calabash and what we saw of Sunset Beach.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
We'll be staying at Sunset Beach (mainland) for a week starting on the 27th of May. A little golf and scouting around.......can't wait!

Old 05-19-2010, 04:01 PM

7 posts, read 27,145 times
Default From Shalllotte to Calabash

Hi Marc515

I live in Shallotte and have so now for nearly 8 years. We may not be the prettiest town but, we have a ton of retail, commercial and restaurants. for years Shallotte has been the economic hub for the Southern Brunswick Isles because they still have little to no commercial presence.

As you know, Calabash is on the SC/NC border and while I go there quite frequently, if you take out the seafood restaurants, you really dont have much left. Shallotte therefore wins in terms of things you'd use if you move here, such as 10 screen movie theater, 2 bowling centers, Belk, Office Depot, Walmart, Lowes, several grocery stores, dry cleaners, lots of banks, lots of restaurants (Chinese, Italian, Japanese, BBQ, Fast, Fine Dining, etc.)
Hope this helps!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 10,770 times
Hi, we are thinking about relocating to Palmetto Creek on Hwy 211, Southport/Supply Rd, Boliva NC. We were told it is close (15 - 20) minutes to Shallotte, where there is a lot of shopping - food, big box, and upscale stores, and cultural activities. Is this true? Have you heard of Palmetto Creek?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Shallotte is a pretty small town Town of Shallotte, NC -- Welcome to the Town of Shallotte

They do have a small shopping area with a Super WalMart, Home Depot and a small variety of chain restaurants.
For food, other than WalMart, there is a Lowes and a Food Lion.

Shallotte is pretty much inbetween Myrtle Beach and Wilmington for a larger variety of things to do.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:24 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,225 times
Default Is there an active VFW in the Calabash-Shallotte area?

Can you guys tell me if there's an active VFW in the Calabash-Shallotte area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina