U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,318 times

Advertisements

So, I apologize as I know that there are a lot of postings like this on this forum but none of them really applied to me personally and didnít straight up answer the questions that I have. Iím a single 23 year old female, no kids, no husband, not looking to buy a house, not interested in elementary schools, local colleges and all of that. My questions are more geared for a younger professional looking to start her life in a new place. I have been set on moving to Jacksonville, NC for quite sometime and am coming to the point in my life where Iím ready to make the change (and yes Iíve visited, long time ago). I will probably be making the move sometime next spring/early summer.

Questions:

1) What apartments are affordable, allow pets, and do any include utilities? My budget for rent a month, including utitilies/internet/cable is 550-600/mo. Iím looking for really nothing more than an efficiency or studio apartment. Itís just me and my small dog and I donít need a fancy big place.
2) Is there any type of a transit system? I have a car but if there are buses I will take those once in awhile just to save on gas
3) If living right in Jacksonville, how long is a typical commute? What is the traffic like?
4) Are there any small towns surrounding Jacksonville that are a short commute away that would also have good apartment options? I donít want to commute any more than 30 min (including any traffic time) as I currently commute an hour and half where I live now and I want to cut that way down.
5) What is there to do for fun in Jacksonville? Parks/recreation/outdoor activities/places to go and see/places to eat/city festivals and events, etc. I will be volunteering w/ the USO so that will also keep me busy as well I hope.
6) What kind of shopping is there for groceries, apparel, etc? I donít require big malls and shopping, I get by fine on basics.
7) Iíve met people from North Carolina and they were extremely friendly and welcoming and open, I assume everyone is pretty much like that there? J
8) Any companies to recommend for someone w/ a BS in Marketing/Art/Event Planning looking to get into those fields or Administrative Assistant work?
9) Any companies out there provide any sort of relocation expenses?
10) What are the gas prices out there?
11) I have looked up apartments and consistently find the same few over and over but they either have bad reviews or mixed reviews, Iím not entirely picky on where I live as long as its relatively safe and affordable (I live in Minneapolis, MN, basically anything in NC is way safer than anything here). Any feedback on Town Center Apartments, The Reserve at Jacksonville Commons (they have no prices listed, anyone know what an efficiency, studio or 1 bed costs here?) Liberty Crossing (they also have no rates listed), Azaelea Gardens, Beacham Apartments, Windsor Place?
12) What would a single person living in a small apartment spend on groceries and utilities, cable, internet a month? (its pretty pricey here so I donít want to base it off of what I pay here, how much are each of those things individually there, not together)

And I think thatís all that I can possibly think of, sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I cover all my bases and have as much information as possible. If anyone can answer all of that and provide any additional feedback it would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 04:21 PM

19,619 posts, read 17,846,715 times
Hi, there are much better places to move than J-actionville, especially for a young professional. I would not move unless you have a job lined up. To try to answer your questions.

1. Contact the Chamer of commerce and they should be able to help you on that.
2. No real transit, and traffic is horrible
3. Traffic is at its worst along Western Blvd, the main shopping road in Jax.
4. Lots of smaller towns but not many with apartments. Swansboro is nice and you may want to check there.
5. Fun, not alot. It is a military town so lots of bars. Again the Coc can help.
6. Lots of shopping but it is mainly on one road and that makes traffic bad.
7. Yes lots of friendly people but remember most in Jax are transplants and military
8. Can't help you there
9. no help sorry
10. Right now around $2.80 a gal
11. sorry can't help, contact COC.
12. Most apartments have that included in their prices but some don't.

Personally I would never move to Jax, much better places to live.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 AM

916 posts, read 2,317,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstaubs86 View Post
So, I apologize as I know that there are a lot of postings like this on this forum but none of them really applied to me personally and didnít straight up answer the questions that I have. Iím a single 23 year old female, no kids, no husband, not looking to buy a house, not interested in elementary schools, local colleges and all of that. My questions are more geared for a younger professional looking to start her life in a new place. I have been set on moving to Jacksonville, NC for quite sometime and am coming to the point in my life where Iím ready to make the change (and yes Iíve visited, long time ago). I will probably be making the move sometime next spring/early summer.

Questions:

1) What apartments are affordable, allow pets, and do any include utilities? My budget for rent a month, including utitilies/internet/cable is 550-600/mo. Iím looking for really nothing more than an efficiency or studio apartment. Itís just me and my small dog and I donít need a fancy big place.
2) Is there any type of a transit system? I have a car but if there are buses I will take those once in awhile just to save on gas
3) If living right in Jacksonville, how long is a typical commute? What is the traffic like?
4) Are there any small towns surrounding Jacksonville that are a short commute away that would also have good apartment options? I donít want to commute any more than 30 min (including any traffic time) as I currently commute an hour and half where I live now and I want to cut that way down.
5) What is there to do for fun in Jacksonville? Parks/recreation/outdoor activities/places to go and see/places to eat/city festivals and events, etc. I will be volunteering w/ the USO so that will also keep me busy as well I hope.
6) What kind of shopping is there for groceries, apparel, etc? I donít require big malls and shopping, I get by fine on basics.
7) Iíve met people from North Carolina and they were extremely friendly and welcoming and open, I assume everyone is pretty much like that there? J
8) Any companies to recommend for someone w/ a BS in Marketing/Art/Event Planning looking to get into those fields or Administrative Assistant work?
9) Any companies out there provide any sort of relocation expenses?
10) What are the gas prices out there?
11) I have looked up apartments and consistently find the same few over and over but they either have bad reviews or mixed reviews, Iím not entirely picky on where I live as long as its relatively safe and affordable (I live in Minneapolis, MN, basically anything in NC is way safer than anything here). Any feedback on Town Center Apartments, The Reserve at Jacksonville Commons (they have no prices listed, anyone know what an efficiency, studio or 1 bed costs here?) Liberty Crossing (they also have no rates listed), Azaelea Gardens, Beacham Apartments, Windsor Place?
12) What would a single person living in a small apartment spend on groceries and utilities, cable, internet a month? (its pretty pricey here so I donít want to base it off of what I pay here, how much are each of those things individually there, not together)

And I think thatís all that I can possibly think of, sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I cover all my bases and have as much information as possible. If anyone can answer all of that and provide any additional feedback it would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
I think you should think hard about this move. I lived in Minneapolis for 20 years, and also in Wilmington, not far from Jacksonville. Your #11 (way safer apartments anywhere in NC than in Minneapolis) is way out of whack. You'd be better off in Wilmington than Jacksonville as far as jobs, traffic, buses, things to do, etc. It's not going to be easy to find a job in either place as things are now with the economy.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,712 times
I live in Jacksonville. If you love Marines, then move here. Otherwise, stay very far away. The crime in my neighborhood is terrible. I moved from the Los Angeles area and feel safer driving in the LA ghetto than here. You seem pretty set on moving here. All I can say is DO NOT move to Liberty Crossing!! It's a ****hole. I live there, unfortunately. I've got government hosing on one side and a field behind that mice just love. If you'd like to keep ur health and sanity don't live in Jackosonville. in my apartment I have Black mold, roaches, a hole in my bathroom ceiling from my neighbors tub upstairs, flea infestations, shots being fired across the street etc. I get all that for the lovely price of $850 a month. Jacksonville has a terrible crime rate and no, it's not just because of the military in this town.
cable/ Internet will run u about $100 a month. Pet deposits/ pet rent varies. Anywhere near liberty crossing is bad news.
1) this is a military town, so most apartments know they can rip you off. It's hard to find an inexpensive apartment in a safe neighborhood or one that's updated.
2) transit system sucks here.
3) most of my husbands superiors (he's a Marine still in training at Lejeune) drive about an hour to get to work so that they don't have to live in Jville). Idk about civilians tho.
4) sneads ferry is a pretty nice place but I doubt you'll be able to find something in that price range. U might wanna check the Hubert area tho.
5) I generally try to stay out of Jacksonville, especially at night so I don't really have a feel for it. I like going to Emerald Isle to go to the beach. I also go to Wilmington a lot and Wrightsville Beach. I'm a beach Girl so Jacksonville is exactly my kinda scene.
6) I go to Walmart and Food Lion if I don't have time to go to the commissary (military grocery store). If I'm really desperate, I'll hit up the piggly wiggly (I fond their food isn't as fresh as other stores). The mall has the basic stores (American Eagle, Hot Topic, Sears, JC Penney, Victoria Secret, and Belk).
7) most ppl I've met in Jacksonville aren't from here. Yeah, the ppl working at the stores and food chains are but I don't know any of my neighbors that are non military. Don't judge Jacksonville by the ppl you've met from NC. The whole state isn't a military town.
8) I'd check job websites. The base hires non military but I'm not sure what for.
9) I highly doubt companies down here would but double check.
10) I payed $2.67 a gallon today. It was around $2.80 a couple weeks ago.
11) It's going to be really hard to find a halfway decent place down here. This is a Marine town so apartments, even bad ones, go quick. I have heard of any good ones around here.
12) I'm not sure. I'm not single. It really depends on where you shop and what kind of food you're buying.

I really hope u decide to not move to Jacksonville. You're better of moving to Wilmington than staying here. Good luck with whatever choice u make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina