U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 25,161 times

Advertisements

My current job is transferring me to either Hilton Head Island, SC or Wilmington, NC. Salaries will be adjusted for cost of living in either location. My question, for those who are familiar with either, or both, is: which would you pick?

I am a 28-year old single female with no children. I am not a big partier, or into any club scene but I also don't want to find myself somewhere where there is nothing to do or I am the only single in my age range. I currently live in Raleigh (previously in Dallas) and have to pick one or the other. I have never visited either place. Any tips?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 AM

1,948 posts, read 2,629,511 times
Hilton head is more of a resort town whereas Wilmington is
an actual living breathing town with all the good and bad.

you really need to visit both places , Wilmington is only 2 hours from Raleigh
and Hilton head 4-5

Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
looking at a map they probably seem similar. in person, they are very different.

Wilmington is a small, historic southern city, flanked by barrier islands with public beaches (except for one, that is private-access) that has had a steady influx of transplants in the past 20 or 30 years. IMO it is sort of quaint, with a rinky-dink college, a little film studio, a little downtown full of bars, and many interesting local businesses.

Hilton Head, for all practical purposes, did not exist until 1956, and was not officially incorporated until 1983. So basically everyone is a transplant. The majority, something like 65%, of the land area of HHI is private-access, behind gates. Workers on the island typically can't afford to live there, so they are driven onto the island every day by bus, and back to the mainland every evening. The big attractions are the extremely high-quality, expensive resorts with nationally-ranked golf courses and professional golf events.

Hilton Head is probably better for vacation, but for living, my advice is Wilmington (unless you are a multi-millionaire golf enthusiast.) That said, Wilmington has some of the qualities of a tourist/resort town, too, just not as extreme as Hilton Head. Also the dating scene is dismal in HHI, I am told.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 PM

197 posts, read 876,205 times
what type of work do you do? what type of community do you like? things you like to do? HHI definitely more resort area, island divided into "plantation" developments, very nice (but also depends on what you can afford), not that far from Savannah, lots of golf at HH. Wilmington more traditional, historic "town/city" with suburbs, beaches nearby, highest cost of living in NC.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 25,161 times
Thanks for the replies. I work in risk management. I am planning to visit both cities in the near future but the trips will be short so I wanted to make sure I was getting an accurate view.

It sounds like Wilmington may be a better fit. Honestly both cities seem a bit small but in this job market I'm not about to resign. As for activites I play a lot of tennis, like to go running, go out to eat, take weekend trips, etc, nothing too exciting. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:39 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
Wilmington.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:03 PM

214 posts, read 736,411 times
Wilmington

Old 05-07-2010, 09:07 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,069,254 times
Hilton Head

Old 05-07-2010, 09:17 PM

69 posts, read 159,957 times
I haven't been to Hilton Head but the only people who talk it up are elitists. If I were 28 and single I'd go for Wilmington in a heartbeat. There are so many young fit people living there. Think of this. You could still date someone in Raleigh as it is less than 2 hours away. You will get lots of visitors from Raleigh in Wilmington. DC as it is 5.5 hours away if you want to explore a "real" city. Hilton head is only close to Savannah (and perhaps 5 hours from Atlanta but I'd take DC over Atlanta) which is similar (albeit perhaps a step up) from Wilmington. Dating in NC means casting a wider net. The state has more population than New Jersey, it just doesn't have any big cities.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,229,334 times
Move to Wilmington. Use crime maps to stay out of the bad areas. The crime rate is higher than one might expect.

I've heard Hilton Head is a little worse for wear due to the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina