Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:59 PM

19 posts, read 46,897 times

Advertisements

Please, anyone who knows about Wilmington schools I would REALLY appreciate any information. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:14 AM

25 posts, read 126,524 times
Default Wilmington Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by linmd View Post
Please, anyone who knows about Wilmington schools I would REALLY appreciate any information. Thanks so much!

I have 3 kids in Wilmington schools since 2001. There has been extreme growth here and so overcrowding is a major issue. New schools are opened and are overcrowded when opened. The county is redistricting for next school year, so if your moving here don't rely on info from realtor, call the school. There are 3 magnet school, 2 which will be new next year. There are also 3 year round elem. schools, but no middle or high schools that are year round. There are a few private schools that are an option as well. If you look at the NC school report card website, it will show which public schools performed the best, and those will be your best choices for schools (ReDir, then click on New Hanover County on right pull down). Hope this was helpful. If you need more info let me know.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:54 PM

Shwebs,
Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely look at the website you mentioned. We also have 3 kids and when we (hopefully) move there in one year, one would be in elementary, one in middle, and one in high school! We are originally from Lexington, KY, but have lived in delaware area for 9 years, and it seems like EVERYONE here puts their kids in private schools. It is the highest private school-attending state in the nation because of the situation in the public schools. Right now our kids go to a Catholic school, but we have always been big public school advocates and wish our kids could go to good public schools when we move. We really liked the way Carolina Beach Elementary, Murray middle, and Ashley High "looked" when we drove by them last time we were in Carolina Beach. Do you know if it is difficult to get into the magnet schools? Is it a lottery or waiting list? Thanks for the info about redistricting; that is interesting. Seems like Lexington KY where we're from is always redistricting; they're having a growth problem too, although I'm sure not as bad as North Carolina's (no beach there, obviously)! Thanks again for your reply.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Wilmington Schools

linmd,
I don't know much about Carolina Beach end of town, as I live in north part of county. Ashley HS is fairly new (4 years or less) and Hoggard HS is considered the HS to go to, although Laney had best test scores in 2007. I have two kids at Noble MS and have been very pleased there. I also have one at Ogden ES and we love Ogden. I have friends with kids at Laney and Hoggard and both are happy. Private school options are Cape Fear academy which, in my opinion, is very expensive ($12,500 a year per child) or Wilmington Christian, Myrtle Grove Christian (both Baptist I believe and much more cost friendly), and there is a Math and Science Academy for middle school that is private. The magnets are lottery and are only ES (grades K-5) and if your interested for next year, be sure to get your application in by March. All of magnet schools are in "questionable" neighborhoods. Also, don't be fooled by the way a school "looks". Many of the schools in NHC are older and are good schools. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info. Glad to help!

Old 06-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Red face Wilmington Schools

linmd,
Also, look at PSK12 Public School Rankings. It has some great info as well. Wilmington is New Hanover County.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:36 PM

52 posts, read 193,957 times
GreatSchools.net free and has teacher/student info, demographics, their rankings and sometimes parent's actually review the school and give a good insight on the school. I use it for my own job search and it seems accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linmd View Post

Old 06-17-2007, 10:39 PM

shwebs,
Thanks for the additional info, it really is so helpful. It sounds like you all have some great schools there. Thanks also for the public school rankings website. It is so overwhelming trying to find this stuff out when you're not from the area. I'm glad your children are doing well and you're happy with your schools. Most people here in the MD./DE. area are so frustrated with the school situation; (busing, safety issues, etc. etc.) We were considering moving over the state line from MD to DE when our oldest starts high school ('08-'09) because her present school only goes up to 8th grade and the high school we're districted to is not the greatest. However, that would be jumping from the frying pan into the fire so to speak. Delaware schools are in a mess and you would not believe how expensive the many private schools there are. Four we know of in particular (pk-12) are 14,000 for the elementary part of the school, 16,000 for middle, and 18,000 to 19,000 for high school. You get 3 kids in there and it's crazy. Anyway, we thought since we have to move anyway, we may as well move where we really want to live which has always been the Carolinas. I'm so envious of all you guys who live there. Sorry for such a long post, and thanks again for such a helpful reply!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:43 PM

colormegreen,
Thanks for your post. Greatschools.net is wonderful and very informative. Do you live in North Carolina, or are you moving there also? Seems to be the "thing to do"! Thanks again.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:50 PM

shwebs,
Sorry to bother you again, but I forgot to ask what you think of all the posts talking about the "crime" in wilmington. I know every place has crime, and we love the area. I was just surprised about all the posts mentioning hearing gunshots; I know that was in downtown area. Thanks again for your time.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:31 AM

890 posts, read 4,327,809 times
Go to the local paper Local | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC website, they did 3 articles related to the crime in Wilmington.

The articles are titled:

Your chance of being robbed in Wilmington: 1 in 230.
"I can't believe how much violence there is"
"Thieves prey upon local Hispanic workers"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina