Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM

228 posts, read 601,033 times

Advertisements

I started reading the Eat Clean Diet book, because after four years of living in the south I have gained 30 pounds. My problem, I know. But, I live in a flipping town that thinks progress is more places to eat. Enough already!

If you have kids and want to watch them play soccer, Greenville is the place for you. But, we wonder why the ECU kids are known for partying...it is because there is nothing else for them to do.

The student union on campus needs to be renovated and the hours of on campus activities extended.

But, can the town please build something other than places to eat, please?! If you are between 21 and whatever, unmarried, without kids...this is a tough place to live.

How about building some water parks, fun parks, mini golf, arcades, roller skating rink, an actual good live music venue, renovate the downtown theater already, how about some canoeing/kayaking businesses on the river, etc.?

But, if Greenville wants to be considered more than a college town with a good hospital...it needs to stop growing its waistline and bring in some activities...just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 02:24 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
Mendenhall is getting renovated, but the current state budget has put it on the backburner for more pertinent projects. ECU is also planning for a preforming arts building downtown, but like Mendenhall, it is currently pushed due to money. Also, the City Council has talked about letting a company rent kayaks on the Tar. I think more will come from this after the second phase of the Greenway is complete. They were thinking having one drop off point at the Town Commons and the second drop of point right inside of the Greenville Blvd bridge.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:01 PM

451 posts, read 1,913,794 times
A lot of folks around here are into boating. Good water access isn't really that far away (half hour or so).

I agree...a good live music venue would be great. When I first moved here about nine years ago, a couple places downtown that are now clubs were great live music venues (the Attic, Peasants). The mustic scene has regressed since then, in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,536 times
Dear Norm,
You can find things to do in Greenville NC at this website:
Greenville-Pitt County NC Convention & Visitors Bureau
But I'll just run a few things past you, to let you know that if ye seek, ye shall find.

There IS a fun park, on the corner of Hwy 254A & Old Pactolus Road, they got mini golf and arcades. There's also arcades at the bowling alley. There are two river parks, which may or may not be the "water park" you're wanting, but right downtown to the east is all that greenway and park down by the river, and then at the River Park North on Mumford Road, you can indeed get on the water... on Saturdays and Sundays in-season, you can go pedal boating, and there's year-round fishing or hiking on the trails. There's a pool at the Aquatics Center on Staton Road, you have to pay, and ECU has a pool.

You said something about skating, there's been an indoor ice skating rink in town for more than 30 years, the Bladz at 104 E. Red Banks Road. Or if you want to do inline skating or skateboarding you can go to the Extreme Park at 2000 Cedar Lane in the afternoons on weekends, which also has BMX stuff. Plus there are many parks with tennis and ballfields, horseback riding stables in the area, and the beaches are just a couple hours' drive away. Also, there's a Carmike theater out on Fire Tower Road.

On the music situation, every Wednesday, May thru mid September from 5 to 8 pm, at 5th and Evans St., is the "Umbrella Market" where many vendors for art and food draw crowds, and THIS WEDNESDAY there will be live music by a guitar singer. At the same location when there's ECU home games, they have Friday night concerts and vendors, too. At the Town Commons there's Sunday in the Park with theater and music, people sit on blankets, and in the same location on SATURDAY JUNE 12 at 3 pm, recording artists Someone's Sister will be playing for River Jam. The low-key Tipsey Teapot has honest food and music most nights. Rehab and Lucky's have dancing with live music sometimes, Still Life has a city vibe dance place with DJ music.

And just a few more moderate things to do:
Since ECU is the center of everything in Greenville, you can sign up for art classes of all sorts, maybe get with their film department and shoot some video, plus there is a public art center Emerge that teaches many art skills. You can also get into volunteering, like at the hospital, animal shelter, or building homes with Habitat for Humanity. There's a Farmer's Market in town, you can buy fresh items, go home and make a stew, invite friends over to eat and play penny poker, and get you a big rubber (kiddy) pool to leap into from your porch when it gets dark, drag out your guitar and with a friend's banjo, jam and drink cold beer iced up in the bathtub, light up the dark with lanterns. If you don't have a guitar, get a used one and take lessons from where you buy it.

I know, life do get tedious sometimes, whether I've lived in a big city or a small one, I always have these days where I go, "I'M SO BORED!!!" But that's when I know it's time to rest, pull the curtains, and do an afternoon matinee TV movie with snacks and nap.
GG

Old 05-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Gigi, I was with you until the big rubber kiddy pool...

But, a few questions:

Have you actually seen the fun park? I have and it looks positively derelict.

Video games are not an arcade...I am thinking more along the lines of:

Celebration Station - Greensboro, NC

Yes, I have been to the ice skating rink, and will go in the summer when it is worth playing in a freezer. But, again, how about a good old fashioned roller skating rink. And, the extreme sports kind of skating...um, that is not my crowd. Sorry. And, there is no way I am getting on a skateboard...as if...

I am with you on the Umbrella Market, Tipsy Teapot, and Someone's Sister (have seen them play and enjoy them) but, as I am a single, mature adult, there is no way I would ever darken the door of any club downtown...sorry, but not my idea of fun watching ECU kids get drunk and defile themselves...sorry.

I am well aware of and partake of ECU's activities...thanks g-d for the school.

And, when you have lived 5 minutes from the beach, 2 hours is not close enough.

And, when you have lived downtown in a major city...Greenville just falls short.

Hence the original purpose of my thread: instead of more restaurants....Greenville needs more businesses aimed at unmarried people out of college but not yet retired. I think that is why so many people in this town make babies...gives them something to do...

Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
I agree they should focus more on the Young Professional. Try to keep the graduates from ECU here and draw more in from different schools. But you need a big company to pull people here. Then fringe businesses, like better restaurants will come. I think one of the "best" things Greenville could do, is to find a decent sized company to either plop their HQ, or if it is a bigger company, a regional HQ or something downtown. That would instantly put (I would hope 1,000+) people downtown daily. That would spur more positive development.

A regional bank or a nice biotech company could do wonders. Give them some tax incentives and we'll receive better infrastructure and more "follow along" businesses

Old 05-26-2010, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,335 times
Norm,
Gigi gave you lots of ideas. Not to sound rude or combative, but if you like the beach, you can move back. If you like what a big city offers, you could move back. We are what we are. A growing city of about 80,000. We have a lot, but still have a small-town feel. That's what draws some people to live here.

Does Greenville need more? Sure, no argument here, but try to be more like Gigi and look for the positive. There are LOADS of other park and recreational opportunities. Sports Connection has batting cages, ping pong, foosball, and some arcade games. Roller skating rink didn't go over here, but there is one about 45 minutes away in New Bern.

Join a club (there are two outdoor adventure clubs made up of lots of young professionals).

Think we need a certain kind of business? Why wait for someone else to do it? If there's really a market for it, go into business and create the business you seek. If this area really does need it, they will support it and you'll end up loaded.

Win-win here. Greenville will end up with something it needs and you'll end up with a business you believe in.

Be the change you desire. If we really need it, show up at a City Council meeting and have your voice be heard instead of complaining on a forum like this. You could end up really making a difference.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM

Greenville Dude, appreciate the positive advice!

And, don't get me wrong, if I did not find positives about living here...I would not have stayed this long. I am under contract right now for another year. So, I am staying for the time being. I will evaluate my options in the spring. My reasons for staying are far too complicated and personal to share here.

But, anyway, if I decide to stay...put down roots...I may take you up on that business idea. It certainly will not be another restaurant. :-) I would love to take over the downtown theater, get it renovated, and turn it into a live music venue ala Cat's Cradle, Lincoln Theater, etc. I think we could attract national bands to the venue and it could be used by the community for dinner theater, etc. When is the city planning on doing something with that space?

Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,794 times
The Magnolia Arts Center is taking donations for renovating the old theater and making it a small performing arts venue. The city bought the building.

Don't know how much money they've collected, but the price tag was $3 million plus to totally renovate the building. I would love to see it happen, though.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 5,197 times
Default another rest

Dear Norm,

please do like so many other great Americans did - take your hard earned money ( or other peoples) and invest in your great idea that you think G- vegas cannot do without - you will then work long hours ( cut back on run time) go without meals ( your nutrition will suffer as expense of your great idea) . you will then either have to work harder to make it keep afloat or lose your tail as your idea did not have enough research or funding and go down in flames like so many other people's great ideas have gone. I Kills me to hear complainers on what is lacking as they sit in the peanut Gallery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina