U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:08 PM

431 posts, read 1,011,640 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm moving down to Wilmington in a little less than two weeks and I have a quick question. We're moving to Mill Creek Apartments on Randall Parkway. I was wondering what the neighborhood is considered? I only ask because I was flipping through the Wilmington phone book and noticed that all the pizza places specify what area they deliver to. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 06:41 PM

135 posts, read 569,402 times
it's usually considered inside the uncw radius, although it's still technically outside the mile radius set by the school. It's right at Randall Pkwy and Kerr Rd, which are semi-well known roads, all the local chinese/pizza places should know of the intersection. but it doesn't have an area name like, wrightsville beach, downtown wilm, monkey junction, etc.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:50 PM

207 posts, read 854,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
Hi. I'm moving down to Wilmington in a little less than two weeks and I have a quick question. We're moving to Mill Creek Apartments on Randall Parkway. I was wondering what the neighborhood is considered? I only ask because I was flipping through the Wilmington phone book and noticed that all the pizza places specify what area they deliver to. Thanks for the help!
I've heard that area is not so good, it was one I was told to stay away from when I was looking for my place down there. Since it's very close to the school and still considered within the 1-mile radius, you'll have a lot of undergrads around doing things that irresponsible college students do. I've also heard that there is a lot of crime around that area, not much peace and quiet but if you can handle that then it's OK.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:08 AM

Thanks HistoryChic. Have you noticed any bad crime in the area?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Hi. I'm moving down to Wilmington in a little less than two weeks and I have a quick question. We're moving to Mill Creek Apartments on Randall Parkway. I was wondering what the neighborhood is considered?
Midtown, or UNCW area

the neighborhood to directly to your west (Ashley Circle, Jennings, Decatur, Winston) is referred to as "Devon Park." I don't think your apt. complex would be considered to be "in devon park", though.

Crime is not "bad" in that area. It is not quite as safe as some other upscale areas of town, though. Someone was recently murdered on Varsity Drive, south of you, for example. Some of the areas to the northeast, Lullwater Drive, are considered to have some drug-related crime. A university the size of UNCW creates a variety of young and irresponsible kids, drug dealers, petty thieves, etc., in the area.

I would not worry. I think it is safer than anywhere downtown, for example.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM

135 posts, read 569,402 times
While there are some noise issues on major holiday weekends we have never had any sort of issues like theft or car-breakins that are much more rampant in other parts of the city. There actually are older non-college people that live in the complex as well, so its not like the apartments that are inside the 1mile radius which cater solely to undergrads and the odd illegal immigrant. Mill Creek is outside the radius, allowing you to get a parking permit, but it is still only 1.25 mi to campus, although there isn't sidewalk for about half of the way.

after living here for almost a year the worst problems that we ever had was with the fleas when we moved in (left by previous occupant) and the management quickly fixed that, literally having an exterminator at my place within hours. I frequently see children, 7-9 years old playing around the apartment buildings and many women running either through the complex, at the gym in the complex, or at the adjoining park. I have friends that live in other buildings and have never had any issues with the complex.

Wilmington is a rather odd place in regards to crime, there aren't so much bad sectors of town as there are bad streets or blocks. Before I moved here I was really very hesitant because of hearing about all the crime, but I've never had any issues. As long as you don't wander around downtown on foot at night alone, dashing down the odd alley ways and such, you should be fine. While there is a rather high crime rate, most of it is theft, and most of that is negligence of the owners of the property to lock it away. The only 'better' areas that you could move into are monkey junction, porters neck, or any of the beach areas, which are all further away from campus, and usually have a higher rent.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 AM

700 posts, read 2,941,605 times
Quote:
Bad area.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 AM

I guess its all a matter of opinion.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM

700 posts, read 2,941,605 times
Quote:
No.....I'm sorry it's not an opinion,it's a fact.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:50 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Yes, coffebean, that is exactly right. It is a matter of opinion.

However, we should respect others' opinions, no matter how silly and alarmist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina