U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:46 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,673,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
Did I mention the alligators? On the Carolina there was a sign that says there are alligators in the River! We did not see them but we looked for quite a while! I got nervous in the parking lot, thinking they could be hiding near the museum building!
Yeah, yeah, laugh at me!! Go right ahead!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a2/Rangemapx.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 06:48 AM

890 posts, read 3,966,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
Some people at work told my husband that Carolina Beach has more native North Carolinians, and that Topsail is nice but has a steeper drop off into the water & more of an undertow than Wrightsville Beach.
That's about right. Carolina Beach was never in my opinion a nice beach and the area, especially at night, could be a little dicey. Seems like there were always "incidents" out there. I know it has built up a lot recently though and some of the old Mom and Pop hotels have been torn down from what I hear.

The beach in Topsail always seemed rougher to me. It did have a steep drop off. I didn't like my kids going in the water there for that reason. I hear that Topsail also has more shark attacks, could be because of the drop off and the deeper water there. Although Wrightsville Beach has had their share too.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:34 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,353,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj67
We are finally moving down this weekend, we bought our house down there in April. On my visit in late April i took a drive to Wrightsville beach from Clayton because i had a whole afternoon to waste, i found it to be very nice and the people were very nice also. When i got there i found out there were some head high waves so i ran to the nearest surf-shop and bought a new wetsuit and a used surfboard. I was able to surf for a couple of hours which was nice and i bought the whole set-up for $225. On LI i would have spent that much just on the used board with-out the wet suit. I live in Bay Shore LI and i can be at the beach in like 10-20 mins. depending on which beach and wether i hit 105 mph's over the robert mosses bridge,,,lol.

As for the USS North Carolina i have visited it twice, once 10 yrs. ago and again last year. My father was born and raised in Brooklyn, when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor my father and his best friend went and enlisted with the Navy, he had to forge my grand-mother's signature because he was only 17 and she wouldn't sign for him. My father was signed onto the USS North Carolina which was just being finished being built in the brooklyn ship yards. He is known as a "plank owner", which means he was on the first crew to set sail on a new ship. It is really nice to know i can go to the ship and still see his name on the roll call list and my son was very excited to see it too last year( my son is named after my father).

Your getting down to the wire now williamj67....best of luck to you and your family!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:51 AM

311 posts, read 560,767 times
WELCOME!!!

It must have been a very special time when you visited the USS North Carolina. Thanks for sharing about your dad.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,982 times
Default Tropical Beaches

Palm trees naturaly grow in north carolina so they don't have to struggle to survive. Most of the islands from the outerbanks south that have been comericalized are covered with all kinds of palm trees. The north carolina beaches have a much more tropical laid back vibe than the myrtle beach area which has a trashy tourist vibe. Wrigtsville beach crowed year round but is a great day trip beach from raleigh and it has a very tropical vibe.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,681,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
That's about right. Carolina Beach was never in my opinion a nice beach and the area, especially at night, could be a little dicey. Seems like there were always "incidents" out there. I know it has built up a lot recently though and some of the old Mom and Pop hotels have been torn down from what I hear.

The beach in Topsail always seemed rougher to me. It did have a steep drop off. I didn't like my kids going in the water there for that reason. I hear that Topsail also has more shark attacks, could be because of the drop off and the deeper water there. Although Wrightsville Beach has had their share too.
I can't even recall the last time someone was bit near Topsail. We are there 5 or 6 times a year....it's safe.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:37 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,117,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Did I mention the alligators? On the Carolina there was a sign that says there are alligators in the River! We did not see them but we looked for quite a while! I got nervous in the parking lot, thinking they could be hiding near the museum building!
Yeah, yeah, laugh at me!! Go right ahead!
They don't eat much. I personally like Carolina Beach more than Wrightsville because there are "older" crowds and a few families - too "boring" for the most part for everyone else. I also tend to go after the vacationers leave in the fall. My own preference.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 63,541 times
The southern beaches of North Carolina have a very warm climate. The shape of NC causes its southern coast to dip deep south. Wilmington and Bald Head Island look about due east of Florence SC on the map. Both alligators and palm trees are native to the Wilmington region, as well as some of the most magnificent moss laden live oaks you will ever see.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:34 PM

90 posts, read 311,057 times
its about 51/2 hours to get from moorseville to the outer banks beaches kitty hawk. takes me 5 hours and i live only 15 min from the beach. The beaches on the outerbanks are nice and you don't have to pay to park they have several parking areas to pull off into, some have bathrooms and showers.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 63,541 times
I have spent ample time on most of the North Carolina Beaches over the years, and they are all beautiful. However, Topsail Island on the southern NC coast is the most gorgeous Carolina island I have seen. The vibe on Topsail is laid back and tropical. The sand is white and the water is a carribean aqua. I could stand shoulder deep in the ocean and see my toes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina